Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

DEMA-GODDESS ALE with updates on process

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Paramedicbrewdude

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:50 pm

DEMA-GODDESS ALE with updates on process

Has anyone brewed any recipes from Sam Calagione's book Extreme Brewing? There are some pretty interesting recipes and wondered if anyone has input on any of them. This weekend I am brewing the Dema-Goddess ale.

I will be tweaking it myself as I don't like to do the exact.

Changes I will Make:
1. Maris Otter grain for the DME
2. Whole leaf hops for chinook
3. Using Belgian Abbey II from Wyeast
4. Will Be aerating with 100% Oxygen (advantage of being a paramedic)
5. I have about 3lbs of light DME in case O.G is not 1.100
6. Millenium hops for bittering

Here is the recipe from the book for those who are not familiar:

Dema-Goddess Ale

Preboil Tea
- 4 gallons cool water
- 1/2 pound crushed cara-Munich barley
- 1/2 pound crushed special B barley
- Grain bag
- 2 teaspoons gypsum

Boil
- 13.2 pounds light liquid malt extract or 11 pounds dry light malt extract (65 minutes)
- 2 ounces Tomahawk hop pellets (60 minutes)
- 2 ounces Chinook hop pellets (20 minutes)
- 1/2 pound cane sugar (20 minutes)
- 2 teaspoons Irish Moss (20 minutes)
- 1/2 pound Demerara sugar (10 minutes)
- 5 teaspoons yeast nutrient (after cooling)

In Carboy
- Water to the 5 gallon mark

Primary Fermentation
- Yeast: Wyeast 1214 Abbey Ale or White Labs WLP570 Belgian Strong/Golden Ale.
- 1 ounce pure cane sugar (day 8)
- 1 ounce demerara sugar (day 9)
- 1 ounce pure cane sugar (day 10)
- 1 ounce demerara sugar (day 11)
- 1 ounce pure cane sugar (day 12)
- 1 ounce cascade hop pellets (day 13)
- Distillers yeast (secondary) (day 13)
- 1 ounce pure cane sugar (day 13)
- 1 ounce demerara sugar (day 14)
- 1 ounce pure care sugar (day 15)
- 1 ounce demerara sugar (day 16)
- 1 ounce pure cane sugar (day 17)

Bottling
- Champagne Yeast or Wyeast 3021
- 5 ounces priming sugar

Extra Equipment
- Aquarium pump/hose/aerating stone setup

SG: 1.100 (at the start of primary fermentation)
FG: "With this many small sugar additions and this big a beer, final gravity is anybody's guess!"

Final Target ABV: 14-16%

Note: Day references in this recipe above are approximations. The day that you actually begin your post primary fermentation sugar additions may vary depending upon fermentation temperatures.

PROCESS

1. Fill a grain bag with the crushed cara-munich malt and the crushed special b malt. Tie off the top and place the bag in your brewpot filled with 5 gallons of cool water. Add the gypsum to the water. Heat the pot and stir the water and grain bag every 5 minutes.

2. As the water reaches 170 F (77 C) pull the specialty grain bag using a large stirring spoon. Hold the bag above the brewpot for a minute, allowing most of the liquid to drain into the pot. Do not squeeze the grain bag.

3. As the water begins to boil, remove the pot from the heat. Add the light malt extract. Stir to prevent clumping and scorching on the bottom of the pot. Return to heat.

4. Allow the wort to come up to a boil. After preboiling for 5 minutes add the Tomahawk hop pellets and stir. Start timing the 1 hour boil at the point that you can make this hop addition.

5. 20 minutes before the end of the boil, add the Chinook hop pellets, 1/2 pound of cane sugar, and the irish moss, stir for one minute.

6. 10 minutes before the end of the boil add 1/2 pound of demerara sugar and stir for 1 minute.

7. At the 60 minute mark of the biol turn off the heat source. Stir the wort clockwise for 2 minutes as you build up a whirlpool effect. Stop stirring and allow the wort to sit for 10 minutes.

8. Chill the wort in a cold water bath to a temperature of 70 - 75 F (21 - 24 C)

9. Transfer the wort into a carboy. Add the yeast nutrient.

10. Pitch the primary strong ale yeast into the carboy. Top up the wort to the 5 gallon mark with water. Set up the aquarium pump, hose, and aeration stone, and oxygenate beer for 1 hour.

11. After the vigorous primary fermentation slows down (around 8 - 10 days) you will hear the airlock bubbling less frequently. Once this slowdown occurs, alternate between 1 ounce of pure cane sugar and 1 ounce of demerara sugar additions to the carboy every day for 5 days straight.

12. A few days after the primary fermentation slows down, transfer your beer into the sterilize bottling bucket while you clean out the carboy. many yeast cells have grown in this sugar rich environment, and you want to leave the layer of dead yeast cells that have dropped to the bottom of the back as you transfer to the bottling bucket.

13. Add the cascade hop pellets to the empty sterilized carboy. Transfer the beer back into your sterilized carboy and pitch your secondary super high gravity yeast. A good yeast starter is a good idea. Set up your aquarium pump/hose/aerating stone unit once again and aerate the beer for 1 full hour. Again you will be adding 1 ounce of pure cane sugar followed by 1 ounce of demerara sugar the next day for 5 straight days. The difference here is that you begin the sugar additions the day you transfer and aerate the beer for secondary fermentation. Secondary fermentation should last 1-3 weeks. 2 weeks after all fermentation activy subsides your beer should be ready to bottle.

14. For this high gravity beer, you will be adding additional yeast at bottling to make sure that the beer has fresh yeast for the bottle conditioning. While transferring the beer to the bottling bucket, use a cup of the beer to dissolve the champagne yeast. Add the Champagne yeast mixture to the bottling bucket and stir well. Now add the priming sugar dissolved in 1 cup of boiling water to the bottling bucket and stir well before bottling.

15. In another 3 weeks, your beer should be ready to drink. This is another long keeper and will mature well with age. It will be better after a year of aging, if you can wait that long
Last edited by Paramedicbrewdude on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

BRANDON

Master Brewer

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:55 pm

Re: DEMA-GODDESS ALE

Paramedicbrewdude wrote:Has anyone brewed any recipes from Sam Calagione's book Extreme Brewing? There are some pretty interesting recipes and wondered if anyone has input on any of them.

I did the Wildflower Wheat on Monday. Being an all grain brewer I made some changes too. I was a bit under on the gravity though. Missed it by 4 points
<<

Paramedicbrewdude

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:22 pm

I was thinking of trying the wheat just because my friend like wheats and I have yet to brew a good wheat. I haven't figured out what I am doing wrong but when they are done, they SUCK! I have won many compititions with other beers. But, my wheats just plain suck. Keep me updated on the wheat
<<

Bornagainbrewer

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:02 pm

Sounds yummy. But just curious if you've run O2 for an hour before? I get the idea, but beyond a certain level, maybe counterproductive as in toxic. Its sort of weird even doing it for an hour with air--my understanding is that it reaches a steady state within a few minutes. Oxygen however can keep climbing. But I know squat about these humongo bear of a beers and efforts t supercharge fermentation.

Best of luck...
<<

Paramedicbrewdude

Post Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:14 am

But just curious if you've run O2 for an hour before? I get the idea, but beyond a certain level, maybe counterproductive as in toxic

I should have clarified, I usually only infuse O2 for about 30 to 45 seconds through a brew stone. From what I have been told, thats more than long enough. I never had any beer taste oxidized. I have had some pretty vigourous fermentations, I also use big yeast starters and that may contribute to that.
<<

ndcube

Master Brewer

Post Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:03 am

I did the Dema-Goddess. It was my first big beer. It was tasting great until I did the step where it said to aerate in the secondary. Turned it into wet cardboard (learned my first lesson in oxidation the hard way).

If it were me I would only make a starter and pitch the second yeast if your first yeast aren't eating the small sugar additions.
<<

BRANDON

Master Brewer

Post Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:28 pm

Yeah I wouldnt do the oxygenate for an hour either that far into the brew. When I have done big beers I have hit them with 30 seconds of oxygen (Red Welding Canisters with a ss stone) 3 times total after pitching up to 24 hours after pitching. Thats as far as I would go.
<<

Paramedicbrewdude

Post Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Well, I brewed the ale last night. I used Whole leaf chinook hops for the 20 minute hops. I put in my chiller and let'er rip I was excited. My gravity was a little higher than expected. I discovered why. After the whole leaf hops and the whirfloc. I had so much trub my 5 gallons went to ABOUT 3.5 MAYBE 4.0 :roll: That kinda sucked, but made for a high gravity wort. My O.G. was a 28brix :shock: . I guess I boiled off more than I wanted and with all the hops I thought I was higher than I really was

I would have adjusted the water in carboy to reach what I wanted the problem was I used a 6 gallon Mexican carboy and have no idea where the 5gallon mark should be. :blah:
Thats why I am unsure of the amount of wort I truly collected.

If I had another Mexican carboy I could have used it to compare but as my luck runs, the others are 6 gallon Italians. :roll:

I was thinking when I go to seconday. :idea: I will add some light dme and water with a gravity of 1.100 to get it up to where I would like it. Then when that slows I will do my sugar additions.

The only advantage so far with this is that I have enough head space for my fermentation.

I left this morning to the station and co2 was puffing out the blow off at the rate of about 2 blubs a second. Temp inside house was 62F so this should be a nice intoxicating brew.

I did learn that u need to account for the whirfloc and trub I was pretty excited when I knew I had 5 gallons in my boil pot but hey it happens.

Will keep you all posted :cheers:
<<

Paramedicbrewdude

Post Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: DEMA-GODDESS ALE with updates on process

I forgot to add that my beer stone came up missing so I had to infuse O2 with a small tube at 1lpm for about 90 seconds.

I was thinking when I add (If I add) another gallon or so of wort thats 1.100 I should oxygenate it prior to addition to the fermenter. Maybe let it begin fermentation then drop it in there dunno guess I should research it. I most likely will omit the oxygination in the secondary if all is going well and fermentation hasn't stalled
<<

Paramedicbrewdude

Post Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Recieved text message from Wife
"Your beer is exploding and the bubbles are getting on my nerves!"

I guess I have good fermentation since the carboy was just over half full and its a 6 gallon carboy. She said foam is comming out of the blow off tube.
<<

Bornagainbrewer

Post Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Typical Belgian: rock and roll!
<<

Paramedicbrewdude

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:23 am

Day 2
removed blow off tube and replaced it with an airlock. bubbles once in a little less than a second and all sorts of swirling of yeast in carboy.
<<

BRANDON

Master Brewer

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:15 am

How's this batch going?
<<

Paramedicbrewdude

Post Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:07 pm

Day 9

Holidays took thier toll so I was a little slow with updates :roll: but fermentation went as expected. It was strong and hard with the Belgian Abbey II from wyeast. Around day 3 vigorous fermentation slowed to just your typical bubble every 1.5 to 2.0 seconds as of day 9 she slowed way down to where it was taking to long to time bubbles out of the air lock

I added the first of my series of "1 ounce sugar bombs" it did seem like it bubbled a little faster after about an hour. Not sure if that was me just hoping it would. What I did was boil the sugar with some water, then poured that directly into the primary. Since I work 24hr shifts my sugar additions won't be along with the recipe. I will keep you all posted on that.

I have my distillers yeast ready to pitch when it comes time. At that time I will take a gravity reading and post results. I will try to post a picture.

I will post again tomorrow
<<

Paramedicbrewdude

Post Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:14 pm

Update on day 9 The yeast cake is about 2 inches thick. anyone need some yeast?
Next

Return to All Grain Brewing