– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Adding Vanilla Bean and Cacao Nibs to Secondary

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Wolfman

Master Brewer

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:23 pm

Adding Vanilla Bean and Cacao Nibs to Secondary

I'm adding a Vanilla Bean and Cacao Nibs to secondary in a Chocolate Stout. Do these need to be sanitized? If so, how do you do it?

Also, anyone have a clue how much Cacao nibs to add to a 5 gallon batch and for how long?

I was hoping to do the transfer tonight. Please help me.
Kegged: Simple Cider, IPA, Smoked Porter, Winter Wolf IPA, Imperial Milk Stout, Rye Pale
Secondary: All Simcoe IPA
Primary:
On Deck: Party Foul Pale Ale
<<

southandros

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:37 pm

Have not done it yet but got the vanilla beans for the BVIP coming up.

I would think the moisture content of the bean is way to low to support bad critters in worisome numbers. What little may be picked up during the transfer will likely get the kabash put on them when you rack the beer from the primary onto them (ie alcohol almost as high as it will get).
<<

Denny

Master Brewer

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:46 pm

I've never santized the vanilla beans in BVIP, and it's never been a problem for me. The alcohol and low pH of the beer make it pretty resistant to infection.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is.

www.dennybrew.com
<<

brooklynbrewer

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:49 pm

I would use the unsweetened cocoa powder instead of the nibs in a secondary. I would boil a small amount of water with the powder to make sure it blends and then add it to the secondary. Also I would leave the beer on the cocoa for as long as you can. Havent had a good experience with the nibs.
<<

Wolfman

Master Brewer

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:17 pm

Thanks Denny. I need to try your BVIP sometime. It sure is a popular beer to talk about here on the board. I've made your RYE IPA a few times and it's awesome.

Brooklyn, what do you mean by: "Haven't had a good experience with the nibs."? How much did you use in a 5 gallon batch? Did you sanitize the nibs in any way (i.e. alcohol, boil)?

I already bought the nibs, so I think I'll use them and if I don't have enough chocolate flavor, I'll maybe add the unsweetened cocoa powder. How much did you use?

I guess I could always spice it up with some Chocolate extract, but I feel like that's kinda cheating.
<<

FermentEd

Master Brewer

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:29 pm

I made a chocolate coffee stout about a year ago using vanilla and cacao nibs. People loved it. Try the nibs. I added a vanilla bean and 8 oz. cacao nibs to secondary fermenter at transfer and aged for two weeks. No sanitizing required.
<<

brooklynbrewer

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:02 am

The taste of hersheys unsweetened cocoa was better than the nibs. I used a whole 8 ounce can to 5.5 gallons. Next time Im using two 8 ounce cans. Try the nibs and get some experience with the different chocolates. No sanitation is needed for the nibs or the powder.
<<

Mikeow

Master Brewer

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:14 am

I think the beans would be fine as is. Don't make the mistake I did and try to microwave the bean. It burst into flames within about 10 seconds. Vanilla bean smells wonderful, burnt vanilla bean ash smells horible!

Don't overdo it on the chocolate, it is pretty bitter (minerally bitter, not good hoppy bitter) stuff.

good luck
"'Twas a woman who drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her for it." -- W.C. Fields

"Give a man a brew and he will give you praise. Teach a man to brew and he will give you beer." --ME
<<

FermentEd

Master Brewer

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:07 am

Cacao nibs in the secondary will not add bitterness to your beer.
<<

HERMsman

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:11 am

I used Cocoa Nibs in my Vanilla Porter. A wonderful desert beer. Check out the info on my Club's website

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/styl ... porter.php
<<

FermentEd

Master Brewer

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:23 am

HERMSman
That's a geat link with excellent guidelines for using vanilla and chocolate. Thanks for that. Have you noticed a considerable addition of bitterness when using nibs in the secondary?
<<

HERMsman

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:46 am

No, the flavor is a smooth chocolate addition. No bitterness, just malt, slight hops, vanilla and chocolate. See my recipe here:

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/recipes/20061101.php

The website does not list the Cocoa Nibs, but I added one package to each carboy, in secondary. I think that is 8 ozs or so in each. Two weeks on the nibs, then bottle or keg.

I have a new job with a division in Vernon Hills Ill. I will be out there several times a year. If we can arrange a meeting you can try my Vanilla Porter.
<<

LStaff

Master Brewer

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:11 am

I made a vanilla porter a few months ago. I took two vanilla beans, cut them open, scraped out the pods, chopped the bean, and let all of it sit in a shot of vodka for two weeks. Dumped the whole thing into pantyhose in secondary for two weeks.

IMO, real chocolate is not necessary - you can get the same flavors with the right combo of malts - especially with some vanilla in there too. My vanilla porter was very chocolaty and most people asked if there was chocolate in there and were surprised when I said no.
<<

FermentEd

Master Brewer

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:32 am

HERMsman wrote:I have a new job with a division in Vernon Hills Ill. I will be out there several times a year. If we can arrange a meeting you can try my Vanilla Porter.

I certainly wouldn't pass that up! :D You'll be fairly close to Libertyville. Two good locations for beer there - Micky Finn's and The Firkin. Depending on when you're here, I may have some Chocolate Coffee Stout to share.
<<

Wolfman

Master Brewer

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:07 pm

HERMSman,

I was doing some searching and found the same website you recommended. That's some good information you got there. I decided to go with one Vanilla bean and 6oz. of choco nibs. It might not be enough, but I'd rather be on the safe side. I guess if it isn't where I want it I can always add more next time or even this time (in teritary?). IF all else fails I'll just go the chocolate extract route.

Thanks all for the input.
Next

Return to All Grain Brewing