Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Smirnoff Ice/Mikes/Malternatives brewing?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Betztopher

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:14 am

Smirnoff Ice/Mikes/Malternatives brewing?

Please don't crucify me for asking,
But how would I go about making a "premium malt beverage"? IMages if Smirnoff Ice, Mike's hard lemonade, and others come to mind. My biggest curiosity is how these things are able to be called malt beverages when they are essentially clear, and don't look anything like a grain-based beverage. I have a few friends, though, who have asked if it would be possible to make something similair to one of those.

I found a forum thread about someone replicating a Smirnoff Ice-like drink with good results, using unhopped malt extract, honey, and corn syrup to achieve a base, and then adding frozen juice concentrate to the secondary for flavoring, and to produce a strong enough base for the yeast to ferment the sugars from the juices.

Has anyone tried this? And if so, how would I do it?
<<

yddraig

Master Brewer

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:42 am

My guess would be to use a highly modified 2 row pale malt barley and then add a lot of rice/rice malt to the mash...
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons,
for you are crunchy and good with Home Brew.

On tap: Dragon's Blood Wee Heavy OG 1.085, FG 1.018 ABV 8.91 :)
Primary: None :(
Secondary: None :(
Conditioning: None :(
<<

BrewManMatt

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:05 am

When Miller made clear beer, didn't they just filter the hell out of it to remove the color?
<<

vizzie

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:32 am

Actually, from what I understand, a malt beverage base gets pretty near everything filtered out of it after brewing, including oftentimes much of the alcohol. They then replace it with distilled alcohol.

So basically, if I understand correctly, clear malt beverages are pretty much a big shell game to allow them to sell a beverage made with distilled alcohol in the significantly more favorable legal context of a malt beverage.

If you really wanted to make something like this at home, water, everclear, and flavoring, then force carbonating would probably get you closer to the beverage you seek than anything involving malted barley would.
<<

KA6GZJ

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:34 am

I just did a Mike's clone a couple of weeks ago.

the recipe calls for: 6cans lemonade concentrate (no preservs.)
1 pound dme
5 pounds table sugar
any ale yeast

jim
<<

Jason

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:42 am

I don't think they actually "brew" any of those beverages. I believe they just take a high-fructose corn syrup flavored base and add vodka or some other "clean" alcohol to it. Mixing Squirt and Vodka would probably get you reasonably close.
<<

Denny

Master Brewer

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:10 am

In order to get around the laws that would mean they couldn't sell malternatives in grocery stores, the "beer" they brew is filtered within an inch of it's life to remove pretty much everything other than alcohol. Then falvorings are added, but there's really no trace left of a malted beverage. They do also make some versions with other alcohols, but at least in states like OR, those have to be sold through a liquor store. That limits sales, so by using a mlated beverage base, they can be sold in the same places beer is sold.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is.

www.dennybrew.com
<<

yddraig

Master Brewer

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:13 am

Same holds true in PA
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons,
for you are crunchy and good with Home Brew.

On tap: Dragon's Blood Wee Heavy OG 1.085, FG 1.018 ABV 8.91 :)
Primary: None :(
Secondary: None :(
Conditioning: None :(
<<

Backglass

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:10 pm

From ATF ruling 2002-2 wrote:
"Although the direct addition of distilled spirits is not permitted in the production of any malt beverage, ATF has permitted the addition of flavoring materials that are alcohol based under the definition of malt beverage in the Federal Alcohol Administration Act (FAA Act). ATF Ruling 96-1 was issued in part to limit the contribution of alcohol to flavored malt beverages through this practice.

From ATF Ruling 96-1 wrote:
"The FAA Act and its implementing regulations, 27 U.S.C. 211(a)(7) and 27 CFR 7.10, define "malt beverage" as a beverage made by the alcoholic fermentation of an infusion or decoction, or combination of both, in potable brewing water, of malted barley with hops, or their parts, or their products, and with or without other malted cereals, and with or without the addition of unmalted or prepared cereals, other carbohydrate or products prepared therefrom, and with or without the addition of carbon dioxide, and with or without other wholesome products suitable for human food consumption (Emphasis added.)

Under a strict interpretation of the definition, the alcohol present in a malt beverage must be the result solely of fermentation at the brewery. This conclusion is consistent with the characteristics of malt beverages that were produced by the brewing industry at the time of the enactment of the technical definition pursuant to the FAA Act. This interpretation encompasses malt beverages containing alcohol derived from adjuncts such as fruits, berries, herbs, or vegetables as well as from the more traditional cereal grains, sugars and syrups when such adjuncts are added to the product prior to fermentation.
<<

cyclonebrew

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:43 pm

Someone I know makes the following:

Take a growler and add a fifth of cheap vodka, two cups of sugar, and top off with the fruit of your choice. Wait a few weeks and decant off the liquid.

This stuff is tasty and dangerous if drank straight, but I'm guessing you could dilute it with water and force carb if you want to try and mimic some of those fruity smirnoff beverages.
<<

biggenius29

Master Brewer

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:41 pm

Yuck mikes, smirnoff.

Brew beer
Ross

My pastor says "God Bless America."
<<

Little Egypt

Master Brewer

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:18 pm

I brewed a smirnoff ice clone (called vinoka ice) for my wife a couple of months ago. It turned out pretty good but you need a keg system to carbonate it. Here's a link to a description:

http://www.beer-wine.com/product_info.a ... ectionID=2.

For what it's worth, the beverage is wine based, not malt based.

Cheers,
Aaron
"May the ground rise up to meet you and break your fall."
<<

Mikeve1

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:55 pm

What would fermented Kool aid taste like? they make clear one's and the flavoring is artificial so it might come through.

Return to All Grain Brewing