Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

corn starch

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

littlebrew

Post Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:12 pm

corn starch

Anyone know the potential S.G. or anything else about the conversion and use of corn starch in brewing beer?? Good, bad, or indifferent!!

Anyone use it ?

Thanks.
<<

Shakey Dog

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:24 am

Corn Starch???? Are you trying to thicken it? :lol:

Or did you mean corn sugar?
<<

ScubaDave

Master Brewer

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:16 am

I've never used it, but I know I've seen recipes that call for corn starch. The only one I can find at the moment is in Charlie Papazian's Amaizeing Pale Ale recipe. According to the book, you can use corn starch for up to 10% of your grist. It will lighten the flavor and body, i.e. it will add fermentables without adding to flavor or mouthfeel. If you're brewing something extremely light and want to increase alcohol, I think it would just be easier to add corn sugar.
Bring me tools and beer! -Homer J. Simpson ("The J. stands for Jay.")
<<

dauss

Master Brewer

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:41 am

Or do what miller does, corn syrup.
<<

Ionia Ales

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:23 am

I have heard of a brewer here in lincoln, who makes a CHEAP beer.

if you add corn STARCH to the Mash. .you will convert it.

I don't know of a expected gravity per pound, though.

There's one way to find out though.
<<

BrewerGeorge

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:24 am

That's a tricky one to calculate because it probably has around 40ppppg, but it will almost certainly get full conversion. If I were adding it, I would probably enter it into promash as a sugar so it wouldn't be affected by the recipe's efficiency setting.
<<

altbrewer

Master Brewer

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:56 pm

I've seen corn starch in recipes and Pierre Rajotte even calls for oat and wheat flour in a few of his recipes in "Belgian Ale." He also mentions using up to 10% with no problems though I found it odd he includes them in extract recipes. I would think you need to mash them to convert the starch into fermentables.

Haven't done it myself but I'm interested in knowing if anyone has had success with corn starch. I want to brew a prepro lager but can never seem to find flaked maize. Corn starch sub? Cooked grits?
<<

bergerandfries

Master Brewer

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:57 pm

altbrew, doesn't extract still have the enzymes in it? I know you still get protein trub with extract, so I assumed so....
<<

jhenjum

Master Brewer

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:57 pm

altbrewer wrote:Haven't done it myself but I'm interested in knowing if anyone has had success with corn starch. I want to brew a prepro lager but can never seem to find flaked maize. Corn starch sub? Cooked grits?

These items can be found in your grocery store;
Quick (instant) grits with other oatmeal
Instant polenta with other Italian foods
<<

littlebrew

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:23 pm

Further reasearch on the web seems to indicat cornstarch (fermented) = dextrose

Iona Ales: I plan on fermenting a pound/gal, etc. to see what happens...when I get some time.

As always, thanks folks for the input. :D :D
<<

noofus

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:58 pm

bergerandfries wrote:altbrew, doesn't extract still have the enzymes in it? I know you still get protein trub with extract, so I assumed so....

The process of turning wort into extract involves alot of heat, and will denature the enzymes...
<<

altbrewer

Master Brewer

Post Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:03 pm

jhenjum wrote:These items can be found in your grocery store;
Quick (instant) grits with other oatmeal
Instant polenta with other Italian foods

Have you tried the instant grits? How would they compare to using flaked maize? Do you just cook them and throw them in the mash? Would a pound of dry grits equal a pound of flaked maize in a recipe?
<<

worthog

Master Brewer

Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:05 pm

littlebrew wrote:Further reasearch on the web seems to indicat cornstarch (fermented) = dextrose

No, cornstarch (mashed) = dextrose. Brewing yeast can't eat (ferment) any kind of starch. Corn starch (any starch, really) is a bunch of individual molecules of dextrose hooked end-to-end. Yeast can't break those bonds, but amylase (from malt) can. If you try to ferment starch without mashing it, you'll end up with either a) cloudy beer, or b) infected beer. Some nasties that we don't usually like in beer can eat starch.
"You don't know what its like out there. I've worked in the private sector. They expect results"
--Dr. Ray Stantz

Buy the hop pedigree poster to support [url=z.umn.edu/hops]U of M hop research[/url]!
<<

JoeF

Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:38 pm

I've made the Amaizeing Pale Ale recipe - it's okay. No idea what the conversion points are. IIRC(it's been quite a long time) I mashed that sucker for 90 minutes and still kept getting a negative starch conversion. I don't know -it was one of the first AG recipes I attempted....

Return to All Grain Brewing