Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

WTH is Melanoidin Malt- Is There a Substitute?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

gpflepsen

Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:27 am

Thinking of making a wheat dopplebock today, but the only ingredient I don't have is a German Melanoidin malt. Can I substitute a bit higher amount of C40 and carapils for it?
<<

worthog

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:00 am

Belgian aromatic is a good substitute, I believe. Its like a dark, non-diastatic munich if I'm not mistaken.
"You don't know what its like out there. I've worked in the private sector. They expect results"
--Dr. Ray Stantz

Buy the hop pedigree poster to support [url=z.umn.edu/hops]U of M hop research[/url]!
<<

gpflepsen

Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:30 am

worthog wrote:Belgian aromatic is a good substitute, I believe. Its like a dark, non-diastatic munich if I'm not mistaken.

I have cara-munich. Would that be close?
<<

joneill

Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:34 am

Melanoidin is fairly easy to get since Weyermann makes it. If your brewing today might be a bit more difficult to obtain. I love using the stuff because it gives a nice malty flavor that caramel/crystal malts can't match. I believe the lov rating is in the 20's so I wouldn't use a Cara40. I have to agree that belgian aromatic is probably the best substitute. If you have any dark munich laying around that might be a good fit.

Or better yet chart your own course! I have discovered a few damn good beers b/c I didn't have an ingredient item and just tried doing my own thing. Whatever you choose good luck. If the beer is good let us know what you did.
<<

BrewerGeorge

Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:53 am

I wouldn't use cara anything, they're more like crystal malts. Like everyone else says, sub aromatic or regular munich. How much does the recipe call for? It might be in the recipe mostly for its red color anyway.
<<

Beertracker

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:07 am

Do you happen to have some Gambrinus Honey Malt on hand? :wink:
PROST! Beertracker
"It takes a beer to make thirst worthwhile." ~ Old German Proverb
<<

Beeromania

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:58 pm

But then again, they say centenial is just a suped up cascade. But I clearly think they are very diffrent. You can't get the aroma or flavor with cascades, that you can with centinial.
<<

Beershasta

Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:31 pm

You can use a blend of honey for the aroma and dark crystal for the color. There are endless variations though. You could also use caramunich and a dark crystall. It just mimics the effects of a decoction. The natural darkening of the wort is called the melanoidin effect.
<<

gpflepsen

Post Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:54 am

Beershasta wrote: The natural darkening of the wort is called the melanoidin effect.

Thanks. I'd never heard that before.

I shelved the brew plans for a few days, not ready ingredient wise and it's too friakin' HOT! ;) Will, I am trying to smoke 80 lbs of pork butt to. Gotsta get that done!

Return to All Grain Brewing