Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Monster Mill MM3-2.0

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

brewsumore

Master Brewer

Posts: 1886

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:37 pm

Location: Eastern Washington

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:15 pm

Monster Mill MM3-2.0

I just put in my order directly to the manufacturer with upgrade for the edit: 1144 hardened steel rollers, and hopper and base. For those who don't know, this is the heavier duty 3-roller model with 2" diameter rollers.

I have a couple questions. First, is the upgrade to the 4411 hardened steel rollers sufficient? I crush maybe 250 lbs of malt and grains per year. I didn't want to pay an additional $60.00 for the stainless steel rollers upgrade if not necessary, but I might change my order on monday if you think it's really worth it.

Second, do those of you who own a Monster Mill (especially the MM3-2.0) think it's a really dependable, quality mill? If you had it to do over again, would you still buy one?

I'm tired of fighting with my 5-year-old Barley Crusher to get a good crush, and got no response when I emailed him about me sending it in for him to tune it up. I know I could have kept pestering him but I'm losing patience.
Last edited by brewsumore on Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

brewsumore

Master Brewer

Posts: 1886

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:37 pm

Location: Eastern Washington

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: Monster Mill MM3-2.0

By the way, I don't mean to rip on BCProducts. I can't even imagine what kind of hassle it is for Randy to have to deal with all the requests for service to honor his lifetime guarantee.

FWIW, I plan to hold on to my BC as a backup mill. It still works but it mostly will only pull grain at about .040. Other than that I need to replace the set screws, which are stripped. It used to be more adjustable and I want to be able to mill as low as .035. If I replace the set screws I'll have less of a problem of losing the gap setting mid-crush. But I've had crush sessions with it before where I've had to take it apart / clean it a few times just to get it to pull grain again, and I want reliability every time. Can you tell I'm not a machinist? I also had more luck with little to no lube on this thing, since the bushings are impregnated. :cheers:

Anybody know what screw to get to replace the BC set screw? I emailed Randy with no answer.
<<

Dog House Brew

Master Brewer

Posts: 482

Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:49 am

Location: Indiana

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:25 pm

Re: Monster Mill MM3-2.0

I have the original MM-3. Wish mine had the 2" rollers. I too stuggled with getting stainless, but ended up buying the stainless. I'm so glad I did! I now condition my grain always. I just didn't want to ever see rusting rolls. IMO stainless is always worth it. It is a life long brewing investment. Should never have to replace this mill. Fantastic customer service.
<<

brewsumore

Master Brewer

Posts: 1886

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:37 pm

Location: Eastern Washington

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Monster Mill MM3-2.0

I just got an email that they've already shipped. I don't condition my malt, but I guess I can always order the SS rollers down the road if I need to.

thanks for the reply! :cheers:
<<

onthekeg

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 2826

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:07 pm

Location: SW MN

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:37 am

Re: Monster Mill MM3-2.0

I have the same one you ordered, except I didn't go for the hardened rollers. I haven't had any issues with it at all. I don't run my raw wheat through it though. I have the ol trusty corona for that duty.
"The dog is an outside dog. You want an inside dog, you go get your own inside."

I hate the Packers so much, I wouldn't cheer for them if they were playing al Qaeda.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be sure.
<<

blatz

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 5278

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:29 am

Location: Florida

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:53 am

Re: Monster Mill MM3-2.0

onthekeg wrote: don't run my raw wheat through it though. I have the ol trusty corona for that duty.


why not?

I just got a MM and opted for the hardened rollers - talked to Fred about it and the hardened will last a much longer time before the knurling rounds off. My BC knurling go so worn down that I didn't want to put up with that.

I sometimes condition my malt and I have never seen rust on my BC rollers, so I didn't worry about that.
<<

onthekeg

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 2826

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:07 pm

Location: SW MN

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: Monster Mill MM3-2.0

blatz wrote:
onthekeg wrote: don't run my raw wheat through it though. I have the ol trusty corona for that duty.


why not?

I just got a MM and opted for the hardened rollers - talked to Fred about it and the hardened will last a much longer time before the knurling rounds off. My BC knurling go so worn down that I didn't want to put up with that.

I sometimes condition my malt and I have never seen rust on my BC rollers, so I didn't worry about that.

Because I don't want to adjust my MM and the Corona is set for corn and wheat adjunct duty. I don't use wheat malt, have you ever crushed raw wheat? It will move the settings on the MM.
"The dog is an outside dog. You want an inside dog, you go get your own inside."

I hate the Packers so much, I wouldn't cheer for them if they were playing al Qaeda.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be sure.
<<

blatz

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 5278

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:29 am

Location: Florida

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Monster Mill MM3-2.0

onthekeg wrote:
blatz wrote:
onthekeg wrote: don't run my raw wheat through it though. I have the ol trusty corona for that duty.


why not?

I just got a MM and opted for the hardened rollers - talked to Fred about it and the hardened will last a much longer time before the knurling rounds off. My BC knurling go so worn down that I didn't want to put up with that.

I sometimes condition my malt and I have never seen rust on my BC rollers, so I didn't worry about that.

Because I don't want to adjust my MM and the Corona is set for corn and wheat adjunct duty. I don't use wheat malt, have you ever crushed raw wheat? It will move the settings on the MM.


never used raw wheat - now I understand why you do what you do :wink:
<<

brewsumore

Master Brewer

Posts: 1886

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:37 pm

Location: Eastern Washington

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Monster Mill MM3-2.0

BC Products got back to me with the set screw size - it's a #10-24 x 3/4" button head machine screw. He also asked me if I had just taken it apart to clean it.

Well, I did take it apart again after reading that, and this time I took a small nail and lightly turned it around in the set screw shafts and blew, to remove all the metal shavings from inside the set screw shaft. For five years now I thought those screws were intentionally threaded to fit tight, but when I put in the replacement screws they screwed right in, and were held in place as it should be, by the lock washers. And the ones I threw away were disintegrating, including the previously flat ends of the screws.

The day before I got a reply from BC Products, I took one of the ill-fitting original screws to Home Depot and the guy there who helped me size it said it was a 12-24 x 3/4". So I figured out that I've been using my mill for +five years with wrong-sized set screws that mistakenly were sent at purchase. No wonder I was having problems!

So, after a good cleaning and set screws replacement, the BC seems to be in fine shape, and my Monster Mill gets here tomorrow. I'll have two mills now with the BC as a backup, but I definitely feel like a knucklehead for not recognizing a long time ago a simple, now glaringly obvious, mistake.
<<

onthekeg

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 2826

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:07 pm

Location: SW MN

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Re: Monster Mill MM3-2.0

brewsumore wrote:BC Products got back to me with the set screw size - it's a #10-24 x 3/4" button head machine screw. He also asked me if I had just taken it apart to clean it.

Well, I did take it apart again after reading that, and this time I took a small nail and lightly turned it around in the set screw shafts and blew, to remove all the metal shavings from inside the set screw shaft. For five years now I thought those screws were intentionally threaded to fit tight, but when I put in the replacement screws they screwed right in, and were held in place as it should be, by the lock washers. And the ones I threw away were disintegrating, including the previously flat ends of the screws.

The day before I got a reply from BC Products, I took one of the ill-fitting original screws to Home Depot and the guy there who helped me size it said it was a 12-24 x 3/4". So I figured out that I've been using my mill for +five years with wrong-sized set screws that mistakenly were sent at purchase. No wonder I was having problems!

So, after a good cleaning and set screws replacement, the BC seems to be in fine shape, and my Monster Mill gets here tomorrow. I'll have two mills now with the BC as a backup, but I definitely feel like a knucklehead for not recognizing a long time ago a simple, now glaringly obvious, mistake.


So, now since you have used both, what do you think?
"The dog is an outside dog. You want an inside dog, you go get your own inside."

I hate the Packers so much, I wouldn't cheer for them if they were playing al Qaeda.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be sure.
<<

brewsumore

Master Brewer

Posts: 1886

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:37 pm

Location: Eastern Washington

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: Monster Mill MM3-2.0

onthekeg - I've only done one brew with the MM3-2.0 but I absolutely loved it! I powered through 30 lbs. of grain in about 3 minutes, set at .035. I'm thinking of extending the hopper, because once it gets going I hate to stop the drill occasionally to load in more malt, because it puts a bit of a load on the drill to restart those Big Mama rollers. And that's with a 1/2" DeWalt high-torque drill. But when those rollers get going, oh how they rip through the grainbill! :D

It usually took me at least 15 minutes when using my beleaguered BC, and I normally had to tinker with it mid-crush at least once to get through the crush, taking even longer, and I would get pretty frustrated.

I have all the ingredients just waiting to brew Denny's BVIP, but I also want to brew a kolsch - maybe I'll brew two weekends in a row.

I also did an extract malted beverage in the meantime - a ginger beer, but sadly that did not call for the MM.
<<

onthekeg

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 2826

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:07 pm

Location: SW MN

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:13 am

Re: Monster Mill MM3-2.0

Thanks for the update Brewsumore. Comparing the MM3 to a BC is apples to oranges. They aren't even close
"The dog is an outside dog. You want an inside dog, you go get your own inside."

I hate the Packers so much, I wouldn't cheer for them if they were playing al Qaeda.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be sure.
<<

spears2571

Apprentice Brewer

Posts: 37

Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:39 am

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Monster Mill MM3-2.0

Does the MM have any real competition? I normally don't mill my own but have been looking at it for about a year. What are the benefits of milling your own stuff? Does it cost less in the long run? Is MM the Gold standard of home brewing. It is a chuck of change and I am looking at buying in the next few weeks. Any good comparison would be greatly appreciated. Cheers - Scot
<<

Thirsty_Monk

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 999

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:43 pm

Location: Eau Claire WI

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:55 am

Re: Monster Mill MM3-2.0

spears2571 wrote:Does the MM have any real competition? I normally don't mill my own but have been looking at it for about a year. What are the benefits of milling your own stuff? Does it cost less in the long run? Is MM the Gold standard of home brewing. It is a chuck of change and I am looking at buying in the next few weeks. Any good comparison would be greatly appreciated. Cheers - Scot

It depends if you are talking of two roller mill or three roller mill.

Two roller is close to MaltMill ot Barley Crusher.
Barley Crusher will develop dead roller issue after some time.
MaltMill is highly regarded.
MM 2 roller comes close to BC price.

MM 3 roller is close to Crankenstine (if you still can buy it).
Rollers are 1" longer.
Crankenstine is supposed to have gears to drive the other rollers.

MM rollers are offered in two sizes. 1.5" and 2" diameter.

With MM you can pick mill that fits your needs and budget.
Na Zdravie

On Tap:
Czech Dark Beer
Bohemian Pilsner

Lagering/Conditioning:
Bohemian Pilsner

In Fermenter:
Marzen
<<

spears2571

Apprentice Brewer

Posts: 37

Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:39 am

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:48 pm

Re: Monster Mill MM3-2.0

thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I just did not want to buy something and later hear that it was a bad purchase.
Next

Return to All Grain Brewing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tony269