Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: BTV Episode 48 - The World's Your Oyster Stout

Thanks Chip - ill try that out.
<<

brewdoc

Brewer

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: BTV Episode 48 - The World's Your Oyster Stout

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. I live on Cape Cod, and Sam Adams brewed a special batch of oyster stout for the Wellfleet Oyster Festival back in October- using 15 lbs of fresh Wellfleet Oysters. I went to the festival with my parents- my dad and I split a dozen oysters, washing them down with two cups of the oyster stout- it was one of the best beers I had ever tasted, and I recommended it to others who were there- they all came back to me thanking me for the recommendation. After I finished the first two cups, I went back to the Sam Adams beer tent to ask if they had any plans to sell it in bottles- the lady said no, it was made special just for the festival- so I bought a THIRD cup. Needless to say, I left the festival very happy....
The oysters are added closer to the end of the boil, giving the beer a nice silky mouthfeel (similar to an oatmeal stout), and a slight but not overwhelming mineral character that balances very nicely with the roasted malt. I found a homebrew recipe (I think it's the same one BTV provided a link to), and plan to try a batch with some Cape Cod oysters- a gal who works in our front office goes oystering on the weekends with her husband, and will bring me as many as I want- for free. Hard to beat that. I'll let ya know how it turns out.
Brewdoc, AKA Jim Shepherd, M.D.- Harwich, MA
Somethin's BRUIN......even during a BLEEP'ing lockout!
Previous

Return to Brewing TV