– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

BTV Episode 48 - The World's Your Oyster Stout

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

chipaway

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:04 am

BTV Episode 48 - The World's Your Oyster Stout

We've seen some experimental brewing here on Brewing TV, but nothing like this. Our buddies at Lift Bridge Brewing Company get shellacious on an Oyster Stout. And they aren't holding anything back. The boiling wort had shells, oyster meat and the briniest of the briny juice thrown in! Join us for an awesome brew day and an oyster festival where the beer is served alongside the best oysters the county has to offer. All for brine, brine for all! [Original postdate: November 4, 2011]

Watch episode here:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/e ... ter-stout/

What did you think? Would you try to brew an oyster stout (recipe included on episode page).

Leave your comments below!

Chip W.
People don't dance no mo', all they brew is this.
<<

Bob T

Brewer

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:12 am

Re: BTV Episode 48 - The World's Your Oyster Stout

Can't wait to watch it... :cheers:

(But I must admit, oyster stout does not sound very appealing)
Bob T.
"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
<<

teal

Brewer

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Just watched it - very interesting. Something I think I'd be willing to try - maybe not BREW but try somewhere if I knew the Oyster Stout offered did carry some oyster in it - not just the name. If it went well - I'd brew it just to say I did. That's why I brew and try things - experimentation.

I also would like to say I LOVED THE MUSIC CHOICE. Absolutely PERFECT and can't say enough about it. Completely diggin the Jack Brass Band. LOVED IT.
Andrew
<<

sparky5982

Apprentice Brewer

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Couple of thoughts:

1. My God. That almost put me off beer.

2. Still not as bad a pumpkin ale.

3. Top 5 memorable episode. Nice job hosting, Garth.

4. Great camera angles, Chip. We didn't miss a single, awful, oyster-y moment. I had to pause the video and take a break when he was pulling the spent oysters out.

All in all, top notch!
<<

Bo T

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:29 pm

Even though I prefer the episodes where you match good interviews with some more hands on brewing, I must admit that this one was really good.

Any chance of a recipe post or at least ballpark ratios of the grist?

Cheers,

Bo

OT - as a native Swede its interesting to hear Garth pronounce his family name. His ancestors definitely used to say the o as in blow, the be-part as in beg and stress the r as in rich, ie. Blo-mbe-r-g (and really OT, the translation of the name would be flower-mountain...)
<<

Norman

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:09 pm

The absolute worst idea for beer brewing ever. Disappointed in the episode. It could only be worse if you went to the clinic and got some bloody bandages and made a beer.

But I'm big fan and I will always stand by Brew TV, and I'm sure some will love this so this is just my opinion. I'll wait 2 weeks for the next Brew TV.

All for brew!
"We ain't riding through no desert boy!"

Drinking: Sweetwater Variety Pack
Fermenting: NB Cream Ale
On order from NB:
<<

passlaku

Brewer

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Must agree with Norman. The 'sode, while entertaining and a good watch, made the idea of oyster stout most unappetizing. But I am still a loyal supporter and avid consumer of BTV.

Hey Norman,
What part of AL are you at? If you get a chance PM me.
<<

Cole Train

Apprentice Brewer

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Brass band aint got #### on chips acoustic one man band. One of the things I really enjoyed about watching all the episodes from start to finish is how chips guitar playing evolves over the episodes. Rock on man.
<<

sam_malty

Apprentice Brewer

Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:15 am

I love oysters and the episode was excellent although I too do not find the concept of drinking the little critters as exciting. I don't drink the clam juice ether. Just brinny and salty.

NOT as bad a bacon beer. I'm bracing myself for brew network's next eposide with meat beer.

Great to watch.
Fermenting: Caribou Slobber AG
Conditoning: Ruabeoir, Caribou Slobber AG
On Tap: Ruabeoir, Oatmeal Stout, Surley Bender, Who's Your Taddy Porter, double dubbel,
<<

Geno

Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:33 pm

I am on team Norman. Kudos to Garth, great job. I'm disappointed with the episode however.
Guys, oysters? Really? None more Keeler - None more Dawson!
<<

bassmunky

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:37 am

Listen to all these Oyster haters! I loved the idea and it actually made me pretty hungry for some of that shellfish goodness.

Would love to try the beer, Hopefully I can find one in my area some time soon.

Keep up the good work!
<<

richkev

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:26 pm

Great job hosting, Garth. I'm going into the oyster lovers corner and must say the idea of pairing oysters with an oyster stout sounds awesome. Maybe that just comes from growing up on the Gulf Coast... Another thoroughly enjoyable episode. I might even try to brew one of these, myself.
<<

FUTHARKbrewer

Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:21 pm

oysters an me dont get along...the thought of em in my beer gives me nightmares...so i guess thanks giving is coming up whats next???Turky Ale..
Be your friend's
true friend.
Return gift for gift.
Repay laughter
with laughter again
but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal
<<

chipaway

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:43 am

Thanks for all the comments on the episode, y'all. Garth did do an excellent job hosting I thought. He is a real hoot and I'm lucky to get to work with him every day at Northern Brewer. Sorry the Oyster Stout wasn't some people's bag, but we do love to highlight experimental brewing. And the guys and gals at Lift Bridge are just good folks. We always have a great time with them.

@ Bo T -- here's a recipe from a past issue of BYO that may help:
http://www.byo.com/stories/recipeindex/ ... ter-stout-

Thanks for the love as well on my guitar playing. I used to be a bunch of bands on and off, but now BTV and our NB DVDs are about my only outlet for playing so I do dig it when it suits the episode.

Alabama represent!
People don't dance no mo', all they brew is this.
<<

sparky5982

Apprentice Brewer

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Hey Chip-

I hope you're not equating a mixed reception of oyster stout with us not liking the episode. I thought it was a great episode; it was light-hearted, entertaining, and beer-related. It's just the idea of oysters in beer makes some a bit uneasy.
Next

Return to Brewing TV