Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

American Wheat ale HELP!

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Shnaz

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:53 am

American Wheat ale HELP!

So i recently made an American Wheat Ale extract kit. And really wanna make improvements to it for a second batch. Ive been reading about how people add a couple pounds of clover honey, so i might try that, yet i dont know when to add it.. or how. Im also looking for other idea to add to the brew as well, i dont want to limit this to just honey ideas

Also if anyone has ideas that worked for them on a Irish Red Ale, to give the kit and added punch to flavor, also help raise the Alcohol content would be great too. I feel its always better to use the kit, yet add a little extra UHHMFF to it...

Any Ideas would help and very appreciated. i also request that you also give me some guidance on when and how this stuff should be added instead of just saying "Add Honey". Im knew to brewing so, ill need more elaborate directions

Thanks ALOT!, hope you get some good ideas
<<

Baratone Brewer

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:51 am

Re: American Wheat ale HELP!

I'm not a big fruit in my beer guy, but you can always add some Oregan fruit puree or BrewMaster fruit extract to the American Wheat to make a Cherry Wheat or Raspberry Wheat. The fruit puree can be added to the primary or secondary. The amount is kind of up to your taste, but 1.25 lbs is a good start for some background fruit flavors in a 5 gal batch. The BrewMaster extracts are typically added @ bottling time @ a rate of 1-4oz for a 5gal batch.
<<

krebsy

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:37 am

The Oregon Raspberry puree works really well. I add a can (3#?) to a base wheat ale for a full aroma, and nice, crisp tartness. As initial fermentation slowed, I added the puree to another fermenter and racked the beer onto the fruit, then just let fermentation finish. If you don't have a second fermenter, you could probably just add it to your primary fermenter assuming you have the room to fit it in there.

As an alternative, you could also consider adding some hops at the end of the boil for some hop aroma.

Generally, if you just want to add more flavor and alcohol to a beer, I would suggest adding another pound or two of light malt extract to your recipe.

Whatever you do, I would suggest you pick one idea and give it a try rather than doing a few at a time. A hoppy wheat beer can be nice, but I don't think a hoppy, raspberry, honey wheat beer would be all that great!
My daddy made whiskey, and he made it well. Cost 2 dollars and it burned like hell. I cut hickory just to fire the still. Drink down a bottle and you're ready to kill.
<<

vs283204

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:41 am

The problem with adding more than (roughly) one pound of anything is that it'll throw off the bitterness. The beer will be very sweet if you add 2-3 lbs of honey, for example. If you want to boost the alcohol content of any kit, the simplest way is to add a pound of corn sugar. It'll add roughly 1% abv, and shouldn't affect the flavor too radically. Just add it at any point during the boil. In terms of adding honey, usually the end of the boil is preferred, but if you're just looking for booze, it doesn't matter.
<<

Shoyoroll

Post Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:13 pm

I'm going to try and add the corn sugar like you mentioned when I brew this weekend. Anyways, I have a noob question for you guys. I am going to brew the american wheat ale with my deluxe brewing kit but I got confused after reading the instructions that are included.
First the instructions that are in the large white envelope show total of 6 weeks before opening a beer but the instructions on the extract kit show 4... which one is correct? And finally can anyone tell me what the Alcohol percentage is for this extract kit? Sorry I am a true need. Thanks in advance! :cheers:
<<

dmtaylo2

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:29 pm

An American wheat should generally be finished fermenting in about a week or two, then another couple weeks to carbonate. You'll be drinking this within a month.

You can add a pound of cane sugar just as well as corn sugar. Cane sugar works great, and much cheaper and easy to find in your kitchen cabinet. Either way, but you might as well save a couple bucks.

Easiest way to figure out alcohol is to look at your original gravity. OG=1.043? Your alcohol by volume is roughly going to be 4.3%. With an extra pound of sugar, your original gravity might end up closer to 1.052, so that's about 5.2%. Rough estimate.

The real way to calculate it is the difference between original and final gravity, times 130. So, for OG=1.052 and FG=1.013, that's (1.052-1.013) x 130 = 5.1%. Not entirely accurate, but good enough within 0.1-0.2%.

By the way... ferment cool in the mid-60s if you can. Will turn out better than if fermented in the 70s. This goes for ALL ales.

Best of luck to you.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
<<

Shoyoroll

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:36 am

dmtaylo2 wrote:An American wheat should generally be finished fermenting in about a week or two, then another couple weeks to carbonate. You'll be drinking this within a month.

You can add a pound of cane sugar just as well as corn sugar. Cane sugar works great, and much cheaper and easy to find in your kitchen cabinet. Either way, but you might as well save a couple bucks.

Easiest way to figure out alcohol is to look at your original gravity. OG=1.043? Your alcohol by volume is roughly going to be 4.3%. With an extra pound of sugar, your original gravity might end up closer to 1.052, so that's about 5.2%. Rough estimate.

The real way to calculate it is the difference between original and final gravity, times 130. So, for OG=1.052 and FG=1.013, that's (1.052-1.013) x 130 = 5.1%. Not entirely accurate, but good enough within 0.1-0.2%.

By the way... ferment cool in the mid-60s if you can. Will turn out better than if fermented in the 70s. This goes for ALL ales.

Best of luck to you.

Man thanks a lot bud! I have a couple questions though. First, when should I add that extra pound of cane sugar? I am truly a noob, sorry. Second, are there other kits out there with higher alcohol content? Thanks again in advance all.
<<

dmtaylo2

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:32 am

Add your sugar at any point during the boil. Last 15 minutes is pretty standard but in my experience the timing really doesn't matter.

There are dozens of kits with higher alcohol content. They are typically the more expensive ones... more ingredients = higher alcohol = higher price.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
<<

holaday1185

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:09 am

If following a recipe and not making my own, I typically brew it the way that it should the first time. If I find that it should be tweaked in the future, I may make the batch again and tweak according to my individual tastes, i.e. more/ less body, more/ less hop character, etc. Just my 2 cents.
Dave

P: Single Hop IPA (Citra)
P: Mead

Bourbon Barrel: Wee Heavy (soured)

Kegged: Watermelon Wheat, German Kolsch, Pale Ale, Denny's RyeIPA, American Barley wine

Bottled: Bourbon Barrel RIS, American Barley wine
<<

Barley Water

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:03 pm

I see a comment in this thread that is somewhat misleading. If you add a couple of pounds of honey or other sugars (because honey is just sugar water essentially) you will not be making the beer sweet, in fact if you want to dry out a beer that's one way to do it. Not only will the beer be dry but it will also tend to thin out the body. The reason this is the case is because sugars are extremely fermentable, much more so than the sugars added by either the malted wheat or malted barley. Now, that is not necessarily a bad thing as long as that is what you were intending to do.

Many newer brewers have a tendency to want to jack up the O.G. which will of course make the beer more boozy. An American wheat beer however is generally designed to be lighter which goes well with higher summer temperatures. I tend to like the higher octane beers in the winter when it's colder; I go for the lighter stuff in the summer. By the way, besides adding fruit to wheat beers you can also mess around with spices. I have added camomille to wheat beers in the past and it was interesting.
Drinking: Oatmeal Stout, Saison (w/ brett), Oud Bruin, Oktoberfest, Belgian Dubbel, Munich Dunkel
Conditioning: ESB, Bitter
Fermenting: AIPA
Up Next: ?
<<

mak2403

Apprentice Brewer

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:56 pm

I brewed a batch of American wheat recently and it was a great beer. Only thing is I accidently added too much Honey (3LBS) which took the beer longer to completely ferment (6 weeks).

Next batch I do though I am going to:
Steep 1/2 lb Honey malts
Add 2lbs Honey to wort
1 oz corriander (dryhop in secondary
Ein Prosit, Germutslicheit.
<<

holaday1185

Master Brewer

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:17 pm

.5 lbs of honey malt would be waaaay too much. Steep .25 lbs instead IMO.
Dave

P: Single Hop IPA (Citra)
P: Mead

Bourbon Barrel: Wee Heavy (soured)

Kegged: Watermelon Wheat, German Kolsch, Pale Ale, Denny's RyeIPA, American Barley wine

Bottled: Bourbon Barrel RIS, American Barley wine

Return to Beer Recipe Exchange