Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Ubu Ale

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

waynorth

Post Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am

Ubu Ale

Anyone ever make something similar to this from Lake Placid Pub and Brewery? My wife keeps talking about it after we went there this summer and wants me to make it for her.
<<

ex-detroiter

Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:27 am

What is it?
<<

waynorth

Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:34 am

From their website (ubuale.com):

Ubu Ale: Our flagship beer, this English Strong Ale has developed an almost cult-like following in the Adirondacks and greater Northeast. Deep garnet red in color, Ubu weighs in at 7% alcohol by volume (ABV) but is known for its fantastic taste. Ubu Ale has received two people’s choice awards at the Saratoga BrewFest and was chosen one of the top 365 beers in the world by the Beer-A-Day calendar. President Clinton enjoyed his pint so much while vacationing in Lake Placid that he ordered three more cases to be shipped to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue — we probably should have warned him that a couple of Ubu’s can severely impair one’s judgment. Ubu Ale is also available in six-packs.
<<

T-Bone

Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:37 am

From the description, it sounds like an Old Speckled Hen clone will work as a clone for this as well. If you search the forum for Old Speckled Hen, you'll find a few recipies that should produce something close to what they're talking about, though it's tough to say how close to that particular beer it will be without tasting it.
<<

ex-detroiter

Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:42 pm

Or a Sam Smith Winter Welcome.
<<

Brewhockey

Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:13 pm

Waynorth,

I live pretty close to the Lake Placid Brewery and drink a fair amount of Ubu. I haven't perfected my UBU recipe yet but I've come pretty close a few times. Start w/ an American brown ale recipe. Jack up the malt bill to get an OG of about 1.073 and increase your bittering and finishing hops proportionatley. If the recipe calls for a bunch of black patent replace most of it with chocolate malt. Black malt's flavor is too sharp for Ubu, you've tasted it so you know what I mean.

I've had good luck using dark crystal and chocolate malt for color and flavor. I usually use Northern Brewers for the boil and Willamette and/or Goldings in the finish. I use WY1056 for my bitters but not for this beer. WY1028, 1098 or 1272 work better for this beer.

Let me know if this helps and if you find a recipe for Ubu please post it.
<<

rocky2448

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:20 pm

Check BYO.com they had this recipe in their magazine last year. If you don't find it let me know I'll look it up.
<<

waynorth

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:07 am

Thanks! I searched BYO.com, and although I couldn't find the recipe online, I did find a reference to it in the Jan 02 magazine. That's before I started my subscription, so if you had it around I'd appreciate the recipe. If not, I'll look into getting the back subscription.

Return to Beer Recipe Exchange