– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

In Need of Great Session Beers

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Brocks

Brewer

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:37 am

Re: In Need of Great Session Beers

mashweasel wrote:...add ALL of the calculated hops at 20min and whirlpool and let them stand 60min...

Kristen - More specifics on your statement above, please. Are you implying the hops should be added with 20 min remaining, the boil finished - and THEN let the pot sit for an additional 60 minutes?

How is this different than simply allowing the hops to transfer to your carboy at the end of the boil? Will the higher temps in the boil pot impact the hops?
John
<<

arutha

Apprentice Brewer

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:07 pm

I think Kristen does mean just that. More hop aroma I am thinking, kind of like a whirlpool for a brewery, takes time at an elevated temp. I'd say if you use an immersion chiller you could probably start fairly soon, those always took a long time to cool, especially in summer.

I am hoping Kristen responds about the hops in the fermenter, I am curious about the hot break as well since I use a plate chiller and whirlpooling in my kettle doesn't work the greatest. I'd always have to leave a good gallon of wort behind or take the break with it.
<<

Pawtucket Patriot

Master Brewer

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:40 am

Brocks wrote:
mashweasel wrote:...add ALL of the calculated hops at 20min and whirlpool and let them stand 60min...

Kristen - More specifics on your statement above, please. Are you implying the hops should be added with 20 min remaining, the boil finished - and THEN let the pot sit for an additional 60 minutes?

I'd be interested in your response too, Kristen. Sounds like an interesting technique. I love a good bitter and I have a pretty good recipe, but I'm always looking for new tweaks.
<<

Haasfilm

Master Brewer

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:47 pm

ryan6458 wrote:
mashweasel wrote:I wish American home brew T's would get on this kick like they have with massively hoppy beers but god forbid drink a beer that is accessible.

+1. Few things in this world are better than a well-brewed bitter, IMO.

Guilty. I do love massively hopped beers. However I'd love to see Kristen's bitter recipe. If you follow up about the hop schedule would you mind posting a good session recipe? Thanks.
Less than a mile from Northern Brewer!
<<

skyler

Master Brewer

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:34 pm

Maybe it's because I grew up on the west coast, but I find many 5-6 percent beers very sessionable. Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale and Speakeasy Untouchable Pale Ale spring to mind as two of the clearest examples of this. Anderson Valley's Boont Amber Ale and Mendocino's Red Tail Ale spring quickly to mind, as well.

This is not to say that I don't enjoy a good bitter. I spent a semester in London, and I deeply enjoyed the cask ales there. I haven't ever brewed anything under 1.048, though. I suppose it's worth a shot. I have been concerned that such a low-gravity beer might not hide flaws well - at the very least, it will give me a great opportunity to grow up some yeast, though.
<<

mashweasel

Master Brewer

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:37 am

Yeah, just at the 20min. I find that I get about 10% more bitterness (BU) from the 60min steep of KO hops in addition to the aroma and such. If you want more details search 'Hop stand for increased hop character'. Its funny that people see to think that you need some sort of 'apparatus' for chilling beer that increases the hop character. All you really need is the whirlpool and stand.

But I digress, so someone asked for a bitter recipe. I have two types I very much enjoy. The ones that are more caramel and less hop and the ones that are lighter and more hopped. Here is the latter of which I absolutely adore. Its more of a 'golden' ale but you get the idea...notes below recipe.

Crouch Vale Brewers Gold
Gravity (OG) 1.040 (measured)
Gravity (FG) 1.010 (measured)
ABV 4.03% (measured)
Apparent attenuation 74.38% (measured)
Real attenuation 61.7% (measured)
IBU 35
SRM 2.2 (measured)
EBC 5.4

5gal (19L)
Grist
English lager malt 8lb (3.65kg)

Mash: 151F x 60min

Boil: 90min

Hops
3.5oz Brewers Gold - 7.9% - 15min

Yeast:
Ferment at 63F
1) WLP022 Essex or 2) WLP013/ Wy1028

Notes:
I would suggest that you don't make any changes to start. When I want it more 'bittery' I'll swap out some base malt for some #2 invert or 75L crystal. The pils malt is 100% mandatory and if you can't get UK pils use the Belgian stuff. If you can't find the Belgian stuff then use Optic or Halcyon NOT Maris Otter or Golden Promise. ANY hop will work for this recipe but I would seriously just stick with one variety. Amarillo is actually VERY nice. FYI - The lower AA% hops lend more aroma and flavor ONLY b/c you have to add more of them to get the bitterness.
Egészségedre,

Kristen England, Ph.D.
BJCP Continuing Education Director
Grand Master Judge
http://www.bjcp.org
http://www.bjcp.org/cep

Homer Simpson - 'Homer no function beer well without.'
<<

skyler

Master Brewer

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:05 pm

mashweasel wrote:The pils malt is 100% mandatory and if you can't get UK pils use the Belgian stuff. If you can't find the Belgian stuff then use Optic or Halcyon NOT Maris Otter or Golden Promise.

Oddly, my LHBS (which is otherwise spectacular) doesn't carry Belgian Pils malt not UK pils Malt nor Optic or Halcyon. Usually I just sub German Pils for Belgian Pils, though once (a dubbel) I subbed Belgian Pale for Belgian Pils and that one's still in secondary. I have Gambrinus Pils, Gambrinus Pale, Gambrinus ESB, Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Great Western Pale, Briess 6-row, Weyermann Pils, and Dingemans Pale. Which would work best? Also, would this be a 154 degree mash temp?
<<

mashweasel

Master Brewer

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:35 pm

I'd do 50:50 Gambrinus pils and pale.

Just updated the post about boil and mash info.
Egészségedre,

Kristen England, Ph.D.
Grand Master Judge

<<

SenorPantalones

Master Brewer

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:24 pm

Curses! I just made a bitter and now I wish I had tried the late hop/steep method.

Kris, do you just adjust the basic recipe below for your more caramel bitter? I tend to prefer a slightly sweet/caramel bitter since they can be very low on body when they're dry.
<<

nicneufeld

Master Brewer

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:53 pm

I hate to say that for at least the first few mentions of SO4 in this thread, my mind assumed we were talking Fermentis Safale S-04. My terribly neglected inner chemist hangs his head in shame.

I've been brewing a lot with the new Rahr pils malt, but that would be a terrible choice I think for bitters. I need to get a nice raise so I can keep at least two different bulk base malts in stock at once! Maris Otter and Kent Goldings, ahhh that's the stuff the best session beers are made of!

I still have not been able to duplicate Marstons Pedigree Bitter, nor tasted a homebrew or domestic commercial brew that compares...that remains a silly little holy grail for me. When I can brew a session beer that reaches that zenith of beer perfection that Marstons seemed to represent to me, I'll have arrived.
"For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie
<<

mashweasel

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:30 am

For me the more caramel the beer gets the less bitterness and hop i find goes with it.

As for Martons, you can't find a recipe? Its very simple. Maris and glucose. Golding and Fuggle. Their yeast. Stinky water. Looks like they color it up like TImothy Taylor does. Shoot me an PM and I can help you if you can't figure it out from there.
Egészségedre,

Kristen England, Ph.D.
Grand Master Judge

<<

DanEnd

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:37 am

So how do you calculate the IBU's for this Kristen, just as one big 20 minute addition?
<<

mashweasel

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:45 am

I'm not sure what you mean. You add the hops at 15min...works out to be about 35bu with 9% utilization.
Egészségedre,

Kristen England, Ph.D.
Grand Master Judge

<<

DanEnd

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:06 am

Sorry, worded that poorly. So you add the hops at 15 minutes, but how do you calculate the IBU's from that addition? Is it handled as a 15 minute addition or is it similar to FWH where it's not exactly an agreed upon calculation?

Thanks for your continued help.
<<

mashweasel

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:21 am

This is something I think that people fail to explain well. ALL hop additions are calculated in the same manner with regards to IBU. The utilization is key. What that means is the amount of the total AA availble to be converted that are actually converted. The longer time in, to a point, the more you get out. The gravity of the wort, kettle shape, etc etc are also factors. So here, for 15min, I find that I get about 9% utilization which with the AA% of the hops, my system, the gravity of this wort you get right about 35bu.
Egészségedre,

Kristen England, Ph.D.
Grand Master Judge

PreviousNext

Return to Beer Recipe Exchange