– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Whitbread Original English Ale...

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Ken Lenard

Master Brewer

Post Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:16 pm

Whitbread Original English Ale...

I had the ingredients for this beer, right down to the slightly out-of-the-ordinary English yeast. Beer Captured describes it thusly: Whitbread Original is a lovely, medium-bodied session beer, almost delicate in taste. The autumnal-colored amber beer pours into the glass with a light beige, tightly beaded head. lemon scented hops on the nose are balanced with sweet malt. Spicy, fruity hops intermingle in the mouth, socializing with bready malt. This easy-drinking bitter finishes bittersweet and hoppy. A wonderful beer to share with friends on a lazy afternoon.

I did have to slightly adjust the hops (subbing out Target with Kents that I have), but all the numbers are right there.

Whitbread Original

7.50 lbs UK Pale Malt
14 oz British Crystal 55°L
4 oz Torrified Wheat

1 oz Styrian Goldings @ 3.5% plus ½ oz Kent Goldings 4.2% for 60 minutes (5.6 AAU)
¾ oz Styrian Goldings 3.5% for 15 minutes
¼ oz Styrian Goldings 3.5% plus ½ oz Kent Goldings 4.2% for 1 minute

Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale yeast

OG: 1.049, FG: 1.012, IBU: 31, SRM: 9, ABV: 4.8%

Cheers!

I'm enjoying a few today (Sat, 4/11)...
Recipes, Kegging Info, General Brewing Info, Beer Galleries, Lager Help and more at Mayfair Court Brewhouse
<<

brewmichigan

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:15 am

Re: Whitbread Original English Ale...

I did an ESB a few months ago using that Whitbread yeast. I hated it at first but after cold aging for a few months I loved it. it was a classic ESB.
<<

Ken Lenard

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:53 pm

There is something very nice about this strain. We were talking on another board about "Summer English Ales" and I thought about this yeast. It has this bready/crackery thing going on that gives the beer such a great profile. It also flocs like a MOFO so your beer ends up crystal clear. I think I may make the Summer version the same way and just replace the British Crystal 55°L with a combination of Vienna & Crystal 10°L so it will be about 5 SRM. Cheers!
Recipes, Kegging Info, General Brewing Info, Beer Galleries, Lager Help and more at Mayfair Court Brewhouse
<<

DanEnd

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:03 pm

If you really want to showcase the yeast and make a nice English-style summer beer I recommend doing a pale ale with nothing but Maris and a touch of wheat. It will be nice and pale, crisp as anything, and just reek of English yeasty goodness.

Did I mention I just kegged a batch of this today and can't wait for it to be carbonated? :D
<<

Ken Lenard

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:12 pm

DanEnd wrote:If you really want to showcase the yeast and make a nice English-style summer beer I recommend doing a pale ale with nothing but Maris and a touch of wheat. It will be nice and pale, crisp as anything, and just reek of English yeasty goodness.

Did I mention I just kegged a batch of this today and can't wait for it to be carbonated? :D

Yeah, that does sound nice. What yeast did you use in the batch you just kegged? This is definitely one of my favorite styles and there are so many great English strains out there... 1028, 1098, 1099, 1968, 1726, White Labs Burton Ale, WLP002 and the list goes on. Cheers.
<<

DanEnd

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:42 pm

I used 1968, pretty much my house yeast. I gave it a healthy dose of goldings, smells delicious. At 4.5% abv it will be a nice easy drinker!

I also just kegged up a rye pale ale with a whole bunch of late amarillo, fermented with the same yeast, tasted great! They should both be good for the nice spring days ahead.
<<

Ken Lenard

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Yeah, 1968 is unreal. Check out this video I took after I racked a beer out of primary and a 1968 yeast cake was at the bottom of my plastic bucket. Is that unbelievable or what? It's like a solid mass.

So I just grabbed my harvested 1099 (saved on 3/11) so I could make a starter for it. I poured the beer on top out into the sink and went about my business and I came back a few minutes later and that distinct "crackery" smell filled my whole kitchen. It seriously smells like Saltines or something... very nice aroma. Cheers!
<<

DanEnd

Master Brewer

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:22 am

Ken Lenard wrote:Yeah, 1968 is unreal. Check out this video I took after I racked a beer out of primary and a 1968 yeast cake was at the bottom of my plastic bucket. Is that unbelievable or what? It's like a solid mass.

So I just grabbed my harvested 1099 (saved on 3/11) so I could make a starter for it. I poured the beer on top out into the sink and went about my business and I came back a few minutes later and that distinct "crackery" smell filled my whole kitchen. It seriously smells like Saltines or something... very nice aroma. Cheers!

That's 1968 for you! It's always a pain harvesting that yeast, I wish I had the set up for top cropping, maybe I should go back to buckets for that reason.

I'll have to give 1099 a try again, it's been a while since I've used it, I remember being happy with the results.
<<

Poobah58

Master Brewer

Post Sat May 23, 2009 10:27 am

Holy mackerel and Andy. I have almost the same recipe. It's great. The only reason I used Styrian was because I had 3.5 oz left and incorporated it into my recipe. I'm doing this next weekend and using Fuggles for the Styrian:

English Summertime Ale
14 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 90.32 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
1.50 oz Styrian Goldings [4.20 %] (60 min) Hops 14.1 IBU
0.50 oz Target [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 11.2 IBU
1.50 oz Styrian Goldings [4.20 %] (15 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] (0 min)
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [4.20 %] (0 min)
1 Pkgs Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099)

10 gallons/1.047 SG/5.3 SRM/31.6 IBU
<<

Ken Lenard

Master Brewer

Post Sat May 23, 2009 7:10 pm

Poobah: yes, almost the same recipe and an absolutely awesome beer. I have a few bottles of it left (tapped from a keg) and I also made it again as a "British Blonde" where I took out the crystal and added some Vienna instead. It's in secondary and will be busted out sometime shortly. Cheers & good luck with the beer.

Return to Beer Recipe Exchange