– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Home Run Red Lager...

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Ken Lenard

Master Brewer

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Home Run Red Lager...

After banging my head against the wall to find a nice, deep red beer... I came up with this. To get the color, I use 8 oz of Crystal 120°L and 8 oz of Belgian Special B along with the base grains. I do not care for the overly roasty flavors I get from roasted barley, chocolate or black malt so the color is made from all crystal malts. I will use Hallertau in the lager version, maybe Willamette or Mt. Hood in the ale version. I'll use something like White Labs 830 German Lager in the lager, White Labs 01 Calfornia in the ale.

Home Run Red Lager

6½ lbs American Pale Malt
1½ lbs Vienna
1 lb Wheat
8 oz Crystal 120°L
8 oz Belgian Special B
4 AAU Hallertau pellets for 60 minutes
4 AAU Hallertau pellets for 15 minutes
1 oz Hallertau pellets for 1 minute

White Labs 830 (lager) or White Labs 01 (Ale)

OG: 1.050, FG: 1.013, IBU: 27, SRM: 18, ABV: 4.8%

ImageImage
Recipes, Kegging Info, General Brewing Info, Beer Galleries, Lager Help and more at Mayfair Court Brewhouse
<<

jasper

Master Brewer

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:24 am

Re: Home Run Red Lager...

OOOhhh!!. Looks good, i always liked Red's, maybe i'll give this one a shot. Probably sub the hops for Liberty cause that s what i have on hand. lager yeast(833) seems to work well too.Just have to scrounge up some Vienna and 120 crystal.thanks for sharing this one!
Kegged 10 Gals of Hefe
Primary 10 Gals of Hefe II
Getting ready for some Blind Faith w/ Wyeast 3522
<<

redbeerman

Master Brewer

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:33 am

Ken, I have used a combo of lighter crystals and carafa. The carafa gives good color without any detectable bitterness. I love that stuff! I must say, that beer of yours looks excellent, How's the flavor with 120 and special B?
"Every man has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer."
<<

Ken Lenard

Master Brewer

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:51 am

redbeerman wrote:Ken, I have used a combo of lighter crystals and carafa. The carafa gives good color without any detectable bitterness. I love that stuff! I must say, that beer of yours looks excellent, How's the flavor with 120 and special B?

It's malty & clean as opposed to roasty & slightly rough. Some people with more sensitive palates detect plum/raisin notes from the Special B, but I do not. As always, these recipes can always be adjusted with more hops, a different yeast, etc. Cheers!
Recipes, Kegging Info, General Brewing Info, Beer Galleries, Lager Help and more at Mayfair Court Brewhouse
<<

scupbucket

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:17 pm

I did an Irish red variation of this and can say it's killer! I used the same grain bill but went with some earthy EKG hops for bittering, finished with some spalt, and used 1084 Irish Ale. Couldn't get mine as red as yours though. Great recipe Ken!
<<

Ken Lenard

Master Brewer

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:31 pm

scupbucket wrote:I did an Irish red variation of this and can say it's killer! I used the same grain bill but went with some earthy EKG hops for bittering, finished with some spalt, and used 1084 Irish Ale. Couldn't get mine as red as yours though. Great recipe Ken!

Mmm, I bet it would be good with the EKGs. You know, it's funny because you see American Reds and Irish Reds and I leaned this one towards German. How often would you hear of a German Red Lager or Ale? I should try it with EKGs and the 1084... it sounds dynamite. Although... I have no EKGs and they seem to be very tough to get. I do have Styrian Goldings and US Kents though. Cheers!
<<

14thStreet

Master Brewer

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:54 am

I've been put to task by a friend to help him brew a Red/Amber Ale and I thought I'd go with Ken's base recipe. Would a 0.25oz : 0.25oz Amarillo/Simcoe blend at 15 and 5 minutes wash out or clash with the maltiness I'd prefer this beer to be balanced towards? Total IBU would be about 35, OG=1.053. I wonder if I'd be better off with the earthier hop route than the citrus/floral path. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.
<<

Ken Lenard

Master Brewer

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:57 am

14thStreet wrote:I've been put to task by a friend to help him brew a Red/Amber Ale and I thought I'd go with Ken's base recipe. Would a 0.25oz : 0.25oz Amarillo/Simcoe blend at 15 and 5 minutes wash out or clash with the maltiness I'd prefer this beer to be balanced towards? Total IBU would be about 35, OG=1.053. I wonder if I'd be better off with the earthier hop route than the citrus/floral path. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

I think this is just personal preference. As long as you like a Simcoe/Amarillo hops combination, I can't see how you could go wrong. The Amarillo always seems to give me grapefruity flavors, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They have a very distinct flavor/aroma to them. If this recipe can be slanted towards American, English, Irish and German, I see no reason why it couldn't have some Amarillo/Simcoe happening late in the boil. Good luck & cheers.
<<

14thStreet

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:41 am

Thanks Ken. I'm tempted to split this batch and meld it with your Summoned Spirits Spiced Pumpkin Ale sans canned pumpkin and with more appropriate hops. I'll let you know how it turns out.
<<

14thStreet

Master Brewer

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:15 am

Ken,

I just had one bottle of two that I was able to get from my friend who helped me make Home Run Red Ale back in late August. We subbed Munich for Vienna, used only a half pound of wheat, and mistakenly used a double-bittering charge of Simcoe and Simcoe/Amarillo late hops. My Simcoe must have faded alpha acid levels, so the beer wasn't nearly the 72 IBUs it could have been! But I must say I was very pleased at the drinkability of this beer. I can't tell if it was the late hops that influenced my perception of the raisiny/dark fruit sweetness from the C120/Special B combo but it was a malty flavor I really enjoyed, perfect for my tastes of an Amber/Red ale. Your hop selection in either lager or ale configuration should be a wonderful compliment. You definitely hit it out of the park!

Now to try my spiced version of this beer, should be great for the holidays now that I know how the base beer turned out.
<<

PalCabral

Master Brewer

Post Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:17 am

Hi Ken and all.

One would think living in Scandinavia would mean lager brewing all year round, but that's simply not the case. This fall has been very warm and the garage is still not cold enough for lager brewing, and fridge is full of fermenting bock beer, so best I can do right now is a hybrid Red Lager based on your recipe, Ken.

Would anyone object to brewing Ken's Home Run Red using Wyeast 2112 California Lager / WLP810 San Francisco Lager?

In the past I have been having some problems with under attenuating lagers using California Lager yeast, hitting just below 70% appearent attenuation, often making the lagers a tad too sweet. Maybe it's just my inexperience but the recipe looks very good and tasty, I'd hate to cockitup.

Congrats, Ken, to a great looking beer.
In primary: Enskede Biére de Mars
In secondary: Enskede Blonde
<<

Ken Lenard

Master Brewer

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:39 pm

PalCabral wrote:Hi Ken and all.

One would think living in Scandinavia would mean lager brewing all year round, but that's simply not the case. This fall has been very warm and the garage is still not cold enough for lager brewing, and fridge is full of fermenting bock beer, so best I can do right now is a hybrid Red Lager based on your recipe, Ken.

Would anyone object to brewing Ken's Home Run Red using Wyeast 2112 California Lager / WLP810 San Francisco Lager?

In the past I have been having some problems with under attenuating lagers using California Lager yeast, hitting just below 70% appearent attenuation, often making the lagers a tad too sweet. Maybe it's just my inexperience but the recipe looks very good and tasty, I'd hate to cockitup.

Congrats, Ken, to a great looking beer.

I have made this beer with Wyeast 2112 and it came out very nicely. I don't remember having attenuation issues with it, but if you think it may be a problem, I would suggest mashing a little lower and give the primary some extended time. Maybe swirl the primary occasionally to get the yeast back in suspension. The good and the bad: This yeast loves to floc so your finished beer will be brilliantly clear and that red color will come through even better. But since the yeast is such a high floccer, it may drop out before the beer is done fermenting, leaving the beer slighly underattenuated and possibly sweet. Again, a lower mash temp and extended primary with some swirling of the primary may help. In my experience, high floccing equals lower attenuation and vice-versa. Good luck with the beer and cheers!
<<

PalCabral

Master Brewer

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:10 am

Thanks for the advise, Ken!

You've convinced me to plan brewing this beer during October or November using 2112. I'll follow your suggestions with lower mash temps and the occassional swirling. Good to know it's possible to make this tasty looking beer using this yeast.

Ken, do you also lager your Home Run Red cold, and if so for how long?

/Pal
In primary: Enskede Biére de Mars
In secondary: Enskede Blonde
<<

Ken Lenard

Master Brewer

Post Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:04 am

PalCabral wrote:Thanks for the advise, Ken!

You've convinced me to plan brewing this beer during October or November using 2112. I'll follow your suggestions with lower mash temps and the occassional swirling. Good to know it's possible to make this tasty looking beer using this yeast.

Ken, do you also lager your Home Run Red cold, and if so for how long?

/Pal

If I make it as a lager, it's usually with WLP830 German Lager. The beer will go to secondary on the cool basement floor for maybe a month and then end up at 35° in a keg for maybe another month or 2. There is a "MAKING LAGERS" page on my site that has more info regarding the making of lagers.
<<

Brewed Force

Brewer

Post Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:29 am

Thats a great looking beer Ken! I'm sure its equally as tasty.
The cause of and solutions to all of the worlds problems... Beer !

Greg

On Tap: Sorachi Wit, ,Big Tasty APA, American Brown, All Cascade IPA
Primary: DIPA
On Deck:
Next

Return to Beer Recipe Exchange