Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Dixie Beer Clone

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Mr_Charlie

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:42 pm

Dixie Beer Clone

I have searched the 'net over and I can't seem to locate a clone for Dixie Lager. This stuff was conditioned in cypress vats and took on a distinctive cypress flavor, but it hasn't been made (to my knowledge) in New Orleans since Katrina. I believe that the company may be brewing under contract through larger breweries outside of the state. The last reports I heard were that the recipe must have been changed (about 2001-before Katrina) because the taste was much different. The beer, as I recall, was really more of an American Pilsner - somewhat like BMC - but with that strong cypress flavor and smell. Has anyone here ever had it? Do you have the same impression?

I have fond memories (since I grew up in Louisiana) of big gatherings each Friday night in season for Crawfish boils. The flavor of Crawfish and this Dixie beer paired perfectly together.

Note: this is not Dixie Blackened Voodoo - I never cared much for that brew, though it had become more popular than the original lager.
<<

OldSock

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:03 am

A few tips of the website:

"-an American icon. Brewed all-naturally today as it was first brewed in 1907, Dixie Lager uses lightly roasted two-row barley malts and rice. The result is a crisp and flavorful beer with a mild Cascade hop finish. A century of New Orleans' brewing tradition lives today in every bottle and keg of Dixie Lager."

Try to find a good BMC clone that uses rice (or rice syrup), toss a .5 oz of cascades with 10 minutes or so to go in the boil.

Ferment as normal and then find some cyrpurss chips to throw into the fermenter during the lagering phase.

Hopefully someone will come along with some better info, but thats a start. Good luck.
Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and buy my book: American Sour Beers
<<

Hokerer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:03 am

And don't forget to use good ole Mississippi River water. I've always felt that that water straight out of the 'Big Muddy' is what gave Dixie it's distinctive flavor :D
<<

Mr_Charlie

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Hokerer wrote:And don't forget to use good ole Mississippi River water. I've always felt that that water straight out of the 'Big Muddy' is what gave Dixie it's distinctive flavor :D

I would imagine that the softer water of New Orleans does lend itself better to a pilsner (it seems this is similar) than my hard water.

Thanks to both of you!
<<

VoodooBrew

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:50 pm

Dixie was brewed under contract briefly by Heiner Brau of Covington. I believe it's now being handled by City Brewing of Lacrosse, WI.
<<

jager

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:15 pm

<<

VoodooBrew

Master Brewer

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:24 pm

jager wrote:...

In response to this:

it hasn't been made (to my knowledge) in New Orleans since Katrina

Just adding a little color to the discussion.

By the way a friend of mine works at Heiner Brau and I could possibly scrounge up the recipe they used for Dixie, but I'd be surprised if it were the exact same as Dixie used to be.

Return to Beer Recipe Exchange