– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Lynux

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:05 am

Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat

My wife loves this beer and wants me to make something similar. Anyone have an idea of the grainbill?

It's labeled a sweet stout and I definitely get the lactose sweetness and mouthfeel but is not heavy or overly roasty. To me it tastes like a really dark brown ale or a black ale instead of a stout. The website claims it has copious amounts of roasted barley and milk sugar but that's about it.

Google comes up with nothing as far as a clone.
P - :-(
C - Lambic
Tap -Red Lager, Black Lager, Patersbier
Bottle - Barleywine, Mead, Flanders Red, Wheat Wine
On Deck - Cream Ale
STL Brews Homebrew Club
<<

shredd3r

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:13 am

Re: Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat

Email the brewer, he's a pretty nice guy. Always willing to help homebrewers and regularly hosts homebrew meetings in his tasting room.
Bottled:Yeti Oak/Vanilla Clone, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc, Late Harvest Riesling, Cabernet Sav
Kegged: Farm Fresh Cider, Waldo Lake Amber, Kiwi Express, Dundalk Irish Heavy, Oktoberfest.
Primary: Denny's Belgian Quad, Pilsner, Mead.
<<

Brick1083

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:54 pm

Sorry, I can't help. But I also love that beer and would like to know what you find out. Please keep us in the loop.
<<

Baratone Brewer

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:02 pm

That beer reminds me of molasses, not as sweet but the taste.
The AB distributor is the one trying to push it in our area.
<<

Lynux

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:09 pm

Well I sent an email to the "contact us" person so we'll see what happens.

Baratone - are you talking about Lohr distributing? They are taking in a lot more craft accounts in our area.
C - Lambic
On Deck - Cream Ale
STL Brews Homebrew Club
<<

Baratone Brewer

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:15 pm

Will Fischer around here.
<<

shredd3r

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:25 pm

If you don't get a response from your email let me know and I have no problem going to the brewery and asking....it's about 5 mins away.
Bottled:Yeti Oak/Vanilla Clone, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc, Late Harvest Riesling, Cabernet Sav
Kegged: Farm Fresh Cider, Waldo Lake Amber, Kiwi Express, Dundalk Irish Heavy, Oktoberfest.
<<

Lynux

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:24 pm

shredd3r wrote:If you don't get a response from your email let me know and I have no problem going to the brewery and asking....it's about 5 mins away.

Awesome, will do!
C - Lambic
On Deck - Cream Ale
STL Brews Homebrew Club
<<

speed

Master Brewer

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:53 pm

Baratone Brewer wrote:That beer reminds me of molasses, not as sweet but the taste.
The AB distributor is the one trying to push it in our area.

our AB dist. is getting it i asked the driver today when they are going to get it and he thought sometime in april.when it comes in i plan on putting it in our store. we need to get the cowboys around here to wean themselves off busch lite :lol:
Some people need a high five, in the face, with a chair.
<<

shredd3r

Master Brewer

Post Wed May 11, 2011 8:32 am

Any luck getting the recipe from Jeff?
<<

Lynux

Master Brewer

Post Wed May 11, 2011 3:20 pm

Actually I ended up speaking with the operations guy who is also a homebrewer. This is the info he gave me:

"We use 6 malts, our base 2-row and obviously a blend of Roasted Barley and black malt (heavier on the roasted than the black… roughly 2.5 to 1).

I’ll tell you there is no caramel, but we do use a blend of some higher lovibond kilned character malts to fill out the back of the malt backbone. Mash on the higher end of the saccrification range.

I’ll have to come right out and tell you to incorporate some flaked oats in the malt bill. As well as lactose sugar in the boil.

The OG and FG are higher than you would anticipate due to the lactose bumping the gravity. You don’t want your sweet stout finishing below 5P (1.020). On that note, we use a relatively commonly available English yeast strain – but I won’t give you a layup on this one. You’ll have to do some fermentation trials! Ferment at a nice clean temp.

We use a really nice earthy hop varietal. Anything from the UK (Fuggle, East Kent Golding, or other similar American sub’s would be great). The hopping rate is very low… so don’t go crazy. Two charges, beginning of boil and 5 minutes from end of boil.. roughly 3 to 2 ratio from the first to the second.

We carbonate to a very high rate for the traditional consideration of this style, so I’d recommend playing with lower as well as higher carb rates… and find what you like best when it comes to this aspect. I love me some low carbonation Buffalo Sweat."

Here is the recipe I put together based on this info:

2.5 gallons

3.5 lbs 2 row
4 oz flaked oats
4 oz roasted barley
4 oz victory malt
2 oz black malt
2 oz pale chocolate
8 oz lactose
.75 oz fuggle 60 min
.25 oz fuggle 5 min
London Ale yeast - wyeast 1028
C - Lambic
On Deck - Cream Ale
STL Brews Homebrew Club
<<

shredd3r

Master Brewer

Post Thu May 12, 2011 11:55 am

Gotta love how they enjoy beating around the bush when it comes to passing on recipes to people..... :lol:
<<

Baratone Brewer

Master Brewer

Post Thu May 12, 2011 12:54 pm

In your recipe I think that your ratios on the Roasted to Blk and the hops are off if they are suppose to be 2.5:1 and 3:2.
Congrats on getting that much info from the brewer. I recently bombed in trying to get info from Boulevard about their Dark Truth Stout. Let us know how it turns out.
<<

Lynux

Master Brewer

Post Thu May 12, 2011 1:04 pm

Baratone Brewer wrote:In your recipe I think that your ratios on the Roasted to Blk and the hops are off if they are suppose to be 2.5:1 and 3:2.
Congrats on getting that much info from the brewer. I recently bombed in trying to get info from Boulevard about their Dark Truth Stout. Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah, I sent my recipe back to the guy and he said it was definitely in the ballpark but not exact. Not looking for an exact clone, just something close.

I haven't brewed it yet but it's coming up next.
C - Lambic
On Deck - Cream Ale
STL Brews Homebrew Club
<<

shredd3r

Master Brewer

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:12 pm

How did this turn out? The latest BTV episode has me drooling over something on nitro...this would be perfect.
Next

Return to Beer Recipe Exchange