– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Setting up a stout faucet.

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Beerfan

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 31, 2010 10:07 pm

Setting up a stout faucet.

I'm getting ready to add a stout faucet to my keggerator (haven't purchased anything yet) and I'm trying to do this with out spending more money than I need to. I already have two 10 pound CO2 tanks, one of which is steel. I've read that I should be able to get this tank filled a beer gas mixture. Is this true?

Just a few more questions...

1. Is anyone using just straight Nitrogen to push their beer?

2. If using a beer gas or nitrogen only set up could someone post how their system is configured? Length of serving line, serving pressure, temperature settings and carbonation levels?

Thanks!
ON TAP: Munich Dunkel, Northern Brown, Krystal Weizen

PRIMARY: Empty
SECONDARY: Empty
Empty kegs: 6 out of 10
<<

ChrisKennedy

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 31, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Setting up a stout faucet.

Just use CO2. Carbonate it to a low level and push it through a restrictor plate in a stout tap. It will give you all the good parts of nitro beers without having to mess with nitrogen.

Everything from the cascading head to the small bubbles is a result of the restrictor plate, not the nitrogen.
<<

Beerfan

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 31, 2010 10:30 pm

ChrisKennedy wrote:Just use CO2. Carbonate it to a low level and push it through a restrictor plate in a stout tap. It will give you all the good parts of nitro beers without having to mess with nitrogen.

Everything from the cascading head to the small bubbles is a result of the restrictor plate, not the nitrogen.

I've read that this works but have also read that you're not getting the full effect that you would get if using the beer gas and dispensing at a higher pressure.

With that said. I'm not opposed to trying it. How many volumes of CO2 do you carbonate to?

Are you dispensing at a higher pressure or the same pressure with a shorter beer line to get more diffusion? Thanks for the info..

<<

ChrisKennedy

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 31, 2010 10:45 pm

Well, I have only done it at work, so I was serving at 18psi over a long run (with beer gas, but the beer was carbed with CO2 alone and there were no mixers in line).

I believe the beer I tried it with was carbed fairly normally, maybe in the 2vol range. The higher the CO2, the more cascade/head you will end up with.

But from what I tasted in my experience, you are missing nothing by doing it without nitrogen. I might not be the best person to take advice from, though, because I am not the biggest fan of beers served through a nitro tap. I ended up taking the beer off the tap because I preferred it when it didn't go through the restrictor plate.
<<

blackcows

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:44 am

ChrisKennedy wrote:Well, I have only done it at work, so I was serving at 18psi over a long run (with beer gas, but the beer was carbed with CO2 alone and there were no mixers in line).

I believe the beer I tried it with was carbed fairly normally, maybe in the 2vol range. The higher the CO2, the more cascade/head you will end up with.

But from what I tasted in my experience, you are missing nothing by doing it without nitrogen. I might not be the best person to take advice from, though, because I am not the biggest fan of beers served through a nitro tap. I ended up taking the beer off the tap because I preferred it when it didn't go through the restrictor plate.

Maybe I am misunderstaning but if you were serving the beer with beer gas you weren't serving with CO2 alone you were serving a Nitro - CO2 mix (beer gas).

The purpose of the nitrogen is so that you can serve the beer at a high pressure without the risk of over carbonating.

Mike
<<

blackcows

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:51 am

Beerfan wrote:I'm getting ready to add a stout faucet to my keggerator (haven't purchased anything yet) and I'm trying to do this with out spending more money than I need to. I already have two 10 pound CO2 tanks, one of which is steel. I've read that I should be able to get this tank filled a beer gas mixture. Is this true?

2. If using a beer gas or nitrogen only set up could someone post how their system is configured? Length of serving line, serving pressure, temperature settings and carbonation levels?

Thanks!

I am sure you could carb with Co2 and use straight nitro to serve, I know of a couple of people that use argon to serve, but I am not sure what the advantage woule be. If you have to fill a tank with nitro it's just as easy to fill with beergas.

Not at home but if I recall correctly I have standard length of beer line, 6 or 8 feet, kegerator is at about 40 degrees, pressure is about 30 psi, and beers are carbed at about 1.5 to 2.0. I usually carb with CO2 and then push with beer gas, I do that becuase I have some extra lines off of my CO2 tank that I can carb with and have kegs ready to go.

Mike
<<

Beerfan

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:32 pm

blackcows wrote:
Beerfan wrote:I'm getting ready to add a stout faucet to my keggerator (haven't purchased anything yet) and I'm trying to do this with out spending more money than I need to. I already have two 10 pound CO2 tanks, one of which is steel. I've read that I should be able to get this tank filled a beer gas mixture. Is this true?

Thanks!

I am sure you could carb with Co2 and use straight nitro to serve, I know of a couple of people that use argon to serve, but I am not sure what the advantage woule be. If you have to fill a tank with nitro it's just as easy to fill with beergas.

Not at home but if I recall correctly I have standard length of beer line, 6 or 8 feet, kegerator is at about 40 degrees, pressure is about 30 psi, and beers are carbed at about 1.5 to 2.0. I usually carb with CO2 and then push with beer gas, I do that becuase I have some extra lines off of my CO2 tank that I can carb with and have kegs ready to go.

Mike

Very helpful thanks and you've pretty much answered all of my questions. Are you filling a CO2 tank with beer gas?

I appreciate all the info.

<<

blackcows

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:21 am

No...it's the nitrogen style tank that I use becuase that is what the supplier I use has.

Mike
<<

Geoff Henderson

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:21 am

One piece of advice on the nitro stout tap is don't carbonate your beer with CO2 before putting it on the beer gas. There is enough CO2 in the beer gas to carbonate your beer to the proper level.
Edit: I use 5 foot lines in my system.
Geoff
<<

blackcows

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:40 am

Geoff Henderson wrote:One piece of advice on the nitro stout tap is don't carbonate your beer with CO2 before putting it on the beer gas. There is enough CO2 in the beer gas to carbonate your beer to the proper level.
Edit: I use 5 foot lines in my system.

Why would you suggest not to carb with CO2? I agree you can carb with the beer gas but if you carb with CO2 you should end up at the same place.

Mike
<<

Geoff Henderson

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:56 am

blackcows wrote:Why would you suggest not to carb with CO2? I agree you can carb with the beer gas but if you carb with CO2 you should end up at the same place.

Mike

Every time I have carbed with CO2 and then moved it to nitro I wind up with way too much head that doesn't settle in a reasonable amount of time. When it finally does settle it doesn't leave a dense 1/2 inch head like a Guinness. It seems like the CO2 bubbles are too big or something and they wind up bursting halfway through the pint. If I carb with just beer gas I get the perfect pour like a Boddington's or Guinness with the dense head until the last drop! I don't know why it is, but it is.
Geoff
<<

blackcows

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:59 am

Geoff Henderson wrote:
blackcows wrote:Why would you suggest not to carb with CO2? I agree you can carb with the beer gas but if you carb with CO2 you should end up at the same place.

Mike

Every time I have carbed with CO2 and then moved it to nitro I wind up with way too much head that doesn't settle in a reasonable amount of time. When it finally does settle it doesn't leave a dense 1/2 inch head like a Guinness. It seems like the CO2 bubbles are too big or something and they wind up bursting halfway through the pint. If I carb with just beer gas I get the perfect pour like a Boddington's or Guinness with the dense head until the last drop! I don't know why it is, but it is.

Do you carb at a lower volume than you would a regular beer? You should be at 1.5 to 2.

Mike
<<

Geoff Henderson

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:16 pm

blackcows wrote:Do you carb at a lower volume than you would a regular beer? You should be at 1.5 to 2.

Mike

I have tried all sorts of carbonation levels prior to serving on nitro in the search for the perfect pour. I have found that any more CO2 than is necessary to close the lid on the keg over carbonates my beer. Maybe carbing to 1.5 to 2 volumes with CO2 and then dispensing with only Nitrogen works well, but I get too much CO2 into suspension with a pre-carb served on beer gas.
Geoff
<<

Primeval

Brewer

Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:19 am

I only use the beer gas to carb my stouts, etc. I hook up a diffusion stone to a 2 ft. piece of tubing and attach this to the gas in tube inside the keg. Chill the beer down for a day, then hook up the beer gas mix. set the reg. to 15. psi for a hour to carb, then turn it up to 35 psi to dispense. Perfect pint every time.
Happiness is a pint glass away!

On tap: Dead Ringer, Fixed Gear Red Ale and Irish Stout on nitro
Secondary:
Fermenting: Waldo Lake Amber
Up next: Innkeeper, Chinook IPA(house beer)
<<

brewingdan

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:10 pm

I just set up my first stout faucet system about a month ago. Here's what I did:

Used an English Mild and wanted 1.5vol carbonation

-used regular CO2 set at the approapriate psi for the serving temp (50F-5psi) I was looking for to properly carbonate the keg. (CO2 tank is cheaper than beer gas)

-once properly carbonated to 1.5volumes, I switched over to beer gas with a 75/25 ratio (so 25% of the gas going in is CO2)

-I set the beer gas regulator to 20 psi (so 16psi of nitrogen and 5psi of CO2) and this is where I keep the regular set until well, the keg's empty.

Pushes through at the proper speed and provides nice cascading, proper 2 finger head and creamy texture to the poured pint.

Hope this helps.
Next

Return to Draft Systems