Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Difference between food grade CO2 and welding Co

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

DMK Dallas

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:41 am

Difference between food grade CO2 and welding Co

Is there a difference between food grade CO2 and welding supply CO2? I see a local Home depot carries exchange 10 lb "welding cylinders" of CO2 for $16.

Do the fire extinguisher places dispense food grade CO2 or do fire extingushers need that kind of purity already so it is already pure enough ?

Is there a differnce in taste or quality or is there a health issue involved ?

I would assume that Airgas does because I have heard that they can supply "beergas" mixtures.
<<

TG

Master Brewer

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:45 am

Re: Difference between food grade CO2 and welding Co

As fas as I know, they are all the same.
<<

BeerPal

Master Brewer

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:07 am

"Food grade CO2"? Never heard of it. But even if I had I would tell you that gas is gas. It's all essentially the same and it's all safe for brewing, regardless of the source. CO2 and oxygen both.
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: B3 Columbus IPA
On draught: Ale Industries Uncle Jessie's XPA (commercially brewed)

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
<<

brooklynbrewer

Post Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:35 pm

It's all the same, but medical oxygen is another story. They filter the living daylights out of it. Just remember, never run your co2 tank all the way down to 0 psi, because for one, if there is any particles in the tank, whether it be rust, dirt, whatever it will end up into your gauges which is bad for them, and two, running your co2 tank, and any tank for that matter down to 0 psi, will introduce moisture into your tank, causing pitting, rust, etc... Dont do it! :wink:
<<

navyvet2

Apprentice Brewer

Post Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:14 pm

i asked the fire equipment store that fills my tanks where they get their co2, and if it was "food grade" (some of my bush light friends were concerned about being poisoned) , they told me they take the tops off their big storage tanks and fill the tanks with dry ice then seal them back up. when the dry ice evaporates.....co2. i wouldve never guessed that.they charge $15 for a 5 lb and $25 for a 50 lb.
on tap: 80 shilling, honey wheat #1, american red lager, octoberfest, wit, honey wheat #2,
on deck: pilsner, cream ale, dubbel
up next : willy vanilly, denny's bvp, pumpkin ale
<<

FRNX

Master Brewer

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:56 am

navyvet2 wrote:(some of my bush light friends were concerned about being poisoned)

They should be concerned if they drink busch light :lol:
On deck: Kolsch
Primary: Denny's BVIP, Denny's Waldo Lake Amber
Cold Conditioning: Ian's Irish Red, Denny's Rye IPA, Beerfan's SNPA Clone, Dusseldorf Altbier
Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Beerfan's SNPA clone
<<

tankdeer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:41 am

brooklynbrewer wrote:It's all the same, but medical oxygen is another story. They filter the living daylights out of it. Just remember, never run your co2 tank all the way down to 0 psi, because for one, if there is any particles in the tank, whether it be rust, dirt, whatever it will end up into your gauges which is bad for them, and two, running your co2 tank, and any tank for that matter down to 0 psi, will introduce moisture into your tank, causing pitting, rust, etc... Dont do it! :wink:

Wow. Very informative; I never knew that about emptying the tanks. Thanks BB! I knew you were worth keeping around! ;)

:cheers:
No beer and no TV make Homer something something...
<<

onthekeg

Master Brewer

Post Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:35 am

navyvet2 wrote:(some of my bush light friends were concerned about being poisoned) , they told me they take the tops off their big storage tanks and fill the tanks with dry ice then seal them back up. when the dry ice evaporates.....co2. i wouldve never guessed that.

I seen this and had to laugh! Were you there on April 1st? They do NOT take the tops off the tanks and fill them with dry ice! Where did the dry ice come from??? LOL!

No at a facility that produces CO2 there are manifolds from the fermenters to a main line. There are GIANT check valves from each fermenter to the manifold and the lines are all connected to a compressor. The compressor which is HUGE, 1200hp motor, will compress the vapor CO2 into liquid and it goes into a large storage tank. BTW there are liquid traps and filters in front of the compressor, a drop of moisture on a unit such as this will damage it severely. Liquid will not compress and a unit with that much compression will fly apart.

From there the liquid CO2 is then transfered into semi trailers and taken to the respective gas company such as Praxair, Air Gas, etc.
And BTW if you want dry ice, you release the liquid CO2 into the atmoshere and the rapid expansion will cause it to form dry ice.

:cheers:
"The dog is an outside dog. You want an inside dog, you go get your own inside."

I hate the Packers so much, I wouldn't cheer for them if they were playing al Qaeda.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be sure.
<<

Holden's Homebrew

Master Brewer

Post Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:29 am

FYI, i work in this industry. There are two main types of CO2, "Beverage Grade" and then everything else. The difference between the two is that beverage grade CO2 has less TRS, and HC, gasses in it, such as H2S, CS2 ect... Basically stinky gasses that make your soda smell like farts. Anyway, almost all CO2 that is used is beverage grade CO2. The stuff that isn't beverage grade gets turned into Dry Ice. Most plants that have CO2 as a byproduct run it through a lot of filtering processes to make it nice and clean "beverage grade". Most Welding CO2 is Beverage Grade as places that make CO2 always try to make the best stuff they can. Only if something breaks or doesn't work correctly do they have non-beverage grade CO2.
Beer's Law: I=(Io)(e^-LCa)
http://www.drunkreddragon.com/beer.htm
<<

hopjunkie

Brewer

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi everyone. This is my first post here.

I'm thinking about buying one of these filters http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/gas-equipment-pid-770SG-L1300.html. I get welding gas and I'm sure the bottles are not always well treated, and if the gas pressure goes to zero and the valve is left open who know what can get in there. Says replace every 12 months but I wouldn't replace until the gas wouldn't push through. Over a few years it is pretty cheap peace of mind.

BTW, the micro-matic website has a lot of good info on kegging.
<<

Holden's Homebrew

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:33 am

Yes that will work great. It is basically an impregnated charcoal scrubber that is designed to remove those nasty TRS compounds that I mentioned before that make beer smell like farts.
Beer's Law: I=(Io)(e^-LCa)
http://www.drunkreddragon.com/beer.htm
<<

ChaunceyO

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:19 pm

Holden's Homebrew wrote:... nasty TRS compounds that I mentioned before that make beer smell like farts.

Damn, I need to appologize to my dog. :)

Seriously, this is good info. I may invest in one of those filters -- cheap enough. Although, it would still not keep particulate matter out of your regulator (thanks BB for that.) I buy my CO2 from a fire extinguisher company, and was told that, by law, their CO2 needs to be pure so as not to introduce contaminants into a fire. But, I'm sure it's not medical grade, probably just filtered.

Anyway, good to hear the story from someone in the biz. Thanks.
Brewing (cool cellar) season is here. :-)
keg1 and keg2: Oatmeal stout.
Queue: Monkey Poop Ale, BVIP, Waldo Lake Amber, Hazed & Infused clone

Return to Draft Systems