– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Storing Kegged beer

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

newerbrewer

Master Brewer

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:03 am

Storing Kegged beer

I'm new to kegging and have more kegs than fridge space. I've used Ma Nature's natural fridge and kegged beer, set it outside to cool (around 40) hooked it up to the CO2, did the 30psi/shake thing, and set it back outside.

My question is can I keep it outside--if so until it gets how cold? (will it freeze at 30, 25, anyone know?)

Secondly, if I bring it in the house can I store it at 65 or so for extended periods of time?

OR do I need to buy a freezer and a temp probe to store well in the house?
<<

brewmichigan

Master Brewer

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:07 am

I store my kegs in the basement which is about 63 right now. That's fine for me. I wouldn't store it in a place higher than 72 for long periods of time (like months). I also wouldn't leave it outside when it gets below 30. Beer can be lagered at low temps but below 30 it might freeze which won't help it.
<<

MullerBrau

Master Brewer

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:16 pm

I keep all my extras (7) full of beer and sitting in the storage room under the basement stairs at about 68 degrees. No problems at all. I have them for as long as 4-6 months before hooking them up in the kegerator.

<<

stacked8

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:13 am

Hey MullerBrau, do you charge them before you store them or just purge the head space? I really like the idea of doing this becuase you can just swap as needed.
<<

MullerBrau

Master Brewer

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:45 pm

I give them an occasional blast of 30 psi whenever I think about it. Either way, they still need a week or two in the kegerator to condition.
<<

MrNate

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:56 am

I do the same thing... Mine stay on deck in the basement at around 60f for a while, up to a year in one case.
"Showing us possible nipp is like giving a monkey a gun. When the monkey shoots someone, and you know he will, do you blame the monkey, or the person that gave him the gun?" - Weazletoe
<<

OskeeI

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:26 am

MullerBrau wrote:I keep all my extras (7) full of beer and sitting in the storage room under the basement stairs at about 68 degrees. No problems at all. I have them for as long as 4-6 months before hooking them up in the kegerator.

I do the same thing and just store up all of my beers in the basement which stays in the steady 60's year round, however, they don't have a fancy storage area like MullerBrau has.
Starters:
#1 Dog Drool
#2 Fat and Tired II

Bullpen:
Berliner Weisse, Mama Mia Pucker Sour Ale, Beat my Wheat Porter, IPA

Return to Draft Systems