Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

how to carb a keg FAST

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

kdowg97

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:08 pm

how to carb a keg FAST

want to brew this weekend and have a keg ready by sat june 28th. brew this weekend ferment 4 to 5 days then keg. how can i get it ready by sat the 28th. like 7 to 10 days?????
<<

Holden's Homebrew

Master Brewer

Posts: 1537

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:21 pm

Location: San Diego/Temecula, CA

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:51 pm

You can carb a beer in 15 minutes, turn the PSI up to 40PSI, and then shake the hell out of the beer for 10 minutes. This will carb it for you.
Beer's Law: I=(Io)(e^-LCa)
http://www.drunkreddragon.com/beer.htm
<<

Roger456

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:17 pm

or chill the beer to serving temp, attach to gas at the right temp, and shake for 2-5minutes. no risk of overcarbonation this way.
<<

Brewhobby

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 4106

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:16 am

Location: Michigan

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:23 pm

Holden's Homebrew wrote:You can carb a beer in 15 minutes, turn the PSI up to 40PSI, and then shake the hell out of the beer for 10 minutes. This will carb it for you.

That's foam city man.......I can carb a keg in about 3 minutes, in fact I just kegged a Helles and am drinking it right now. Set your regulator at 30-35 psi and rock it on your knee for about 2-3 minutes depending how much carbonation you want. I carbed mine and tapped it 10 minutes later.
Prost!!
Primary- Czech Pilsner, IIPA
Secondary- IIPA, BVIP, Doppelbock, Baltic Porter
Kegged- A whole lotta beer
On Tap- Helles, Pale Ale, Rye IPA
Next Up- BVIP, IPA
<<

scottyb

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 1425

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:44 pm

Location: Bolivar, WV

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:46 am

Re: how to carb a keg FAST

kdowg97 wrote:want to brew this weekend and have a keg ready by sat june 28th. brew this weekend ferment 4 to 5 days then keg. how can i get it ready by sat the 28th. like 7 to 10 days?????


Brewing takes some planning, sounds like a recipe for a bad beer by rushing it. You gotta let it do its thing on it own schedule.

You can carb a keg fast but any beer is better with some age.
<<

m3830431

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 272

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:12 pm

Location: Green Bay

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:57 am

Brewhobby wrote:
Holden's Homebrew wrote:You can carb a beer in 15 minutes, turn the PSI up to 40PSI, and then shake the hell out of the beer for 10 minutes. This will carb it for you.

That's foam city man.......I can carb a keg in about 3 minutes, in fact I just kegged a Helles and am drinking it right now. Set your regulator at 30-35 psi and rock it on your knee for about 2-3 minutes depending how much carbonation you want. I carbed mine and tapped it 10 minutes later.
Prost!!


Agree

The key is the colder the brew the faster it will carb and the lower pressure required
Mike
<<

beerbandit

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:52 pm

If you hook a liquid disconnect to your co2 line and push the co2 down the dip tube it will carb faster.
<<

Dean Palmer

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 1374

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:21 pm

Location: St Petersburg, Florida

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:28 pm

beerbandit wrote:If you hook a liquid disconnect to your co2 line and push the co2 down the dip tube it will carb faster.


Not really. Especially not when shaking the keg to carbonate. The gas bubbles are the same size either way, and if you are shaking you are already helping get the gas into solution.

If you are letting the keg sit and carbonate for a few weeks slowly, it might get there a bit faster, but I've never seen a difference, and gave up using the liquid diptube for gas input long ago.
Dean

My Brewing Website: www.TheBeerJournals.com
<<

mcliff3

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:53 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I find that the kegs that I let carbonate slowly (hook up the gas line and just let it sit at my current PSI (8 - 10 PSI around 34 - 36F) also pour with less over foaming later. The ones that I carb quickly always seem to be a pain in my butt later on.
<<

m3830431

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 272

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:12 pm

Location: Green Bay

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:40 am

mcliff3 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I find that the kegs that I let carbonate slowly (hook up the gas line and just let it sit at my current PSI (8 - 10 PSI around 34 - 36F) also pour with less over foaming later. The ones that I carb quickly always seem to be a pain in my butt later on.


Haven't really noticed that. Once carbed release the excess CO2 and set to your normal serving pressure. Never had a problem.
Mike
<<

Godsmacked1068

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 3329

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:28 am

Location: Crescent Beach FL, south of St augustine

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:45 am

I'm drooling to set my 1st keg tonight :P
batches to date:lost count
<<

MrNate

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 1498

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:24 am

Location: Central NJ

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:12 am

Godsmacked1068 wrote:I'm drooling to set my 1st keg tonight :P


You get all set up? I'm about to go buy a hole saw and actually put a couple of holes in my fridge.

As for quick carbing, I never had much luck with the "chill, crank and rock" method. Never seemed to get carbed enough, even after a few hours of doing it off and on. I suspect the kegs might've been leaking though.

I have managed to waaaay overcarb a few beers with the "crank and shake then put in the back of a car for a 3 hour road trip" method.
"Showing us possible nipp is like giving a monkey a gun. When the monkey shoots someone, and you know he will, do you blame the monkey, or the person that gave him the gun?" - Weazletoe
<<

Bobcaat

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 1144

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2002 1:01 am

Location: Virginia

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:32 am

Also in my experience while the quick carb will give you carbonated drinkable beer the bubbles tend to be the large bubbles (I have seen them described as fish eye bubbles); after a week or so the beer has a more normal carbonation with fine bubbles and a denser head.
<<

SwashBuckling Drunk

Master Brewer

Posts: 796

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:20 pm

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Godsmacked1068 wrote:I'm drooling to set my 1st keg tonight :P


You'll never look back.
"Like thinning out the dingleberries I use my fingers"- Bo Gator

"Every team has a butt boy, I guess you're it"- Chauncey to BFI
<<

Godsmacked1068

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 3329

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:28 am

Location: Crescent Beach FL, south of St augustine

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:52 pm

So I hook it up. The air is blasting out the safety valve on regulator, I'm like wtf. So I tighten air adjust valve. Turn air on and blooooooosh. Safety valve. Call dave the brew guy. The adjuster was turned the wrong way :oops:
What a moron :evil:
I bet the guys that packed it were gigglin like. Ha ha a new keg user is gonna blast his air.
Dammit jim! Image
Soooooo The pressure valve reads close to 1300 psi. It's now at 800. RETARD! I'll know better next time.

How much psi do you lose on force carbing a keg?



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ED2MwwR ... _2008.html
batches to date:lost count
Next

Return to Draft Systems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot]