Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Des Moines, Iowa CO2 Supplier? And Other Questions...

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

jonbeer

Master Brewer

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:25 am

Des Moines, Iowa CO2 Supplier? And Other Questions...

I'm getting myself a keg setup for Christmas (merry christmas to me!!), and I'm going to need to find a supplier of co2 in the Des Moines Iowa area.

Any of you from this area and know of a good place to go?

Also, how much does it usually cost to refill a CO2 tank?

And one more, is a 5# tank big enough for general use? Is bigger better (should I splurge for a 10# or 15# tank right now?)

I know, lots of questions right off, but I'm pumped about getting into kegging.

Thanks in advance!

--
jw
<<

Nighthawk

Master Brewer

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:58 pm

Sorry no real info from me.

Give a call to a fire extinguisher shop or welding supplier.

Here is a data base, hosted by George from the Green Board, you can add to when you find someone.

http://www.brewing.schmidt-house.com/CO2db/brewgas.php?view

Ceder Rapids is going for 12.50 to 16.00 for a refill on 5lbs.

A small tank is good. Especially if you have a leak.:lol:

The real cost is in the labor to fill the tank. The bigger the tank the less per pound you will spend.
<<

blackcows

Master Brewer

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:09 am

I would suggest a bigger tank. I started with a 5 and then got another 5 for a backup and it seemed as though I was always going into Omaha for a refill. I have since gone to a 20 and am very glad I did. The cost to refill a 5 is about the same as a 20, it's only a few dollars difference. Less than 20.00 for a 20 pound tank. As others have suggested there should be some welding supply places in Des Moines that can help you. I use Linweld in Omaha and it looks like they also have a Des Moines location:

1630 NE 54th Ave
Des Moines, IA 50313
(515) 243-8131

Mike
<<

damntheman

Master Brewer

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:22 am

I say go for a 10 lb tank. I've got a 5lb tank on my 2-keg kegerator and a 10lb one on my 4-keg kegerator. It only costs around $5 more to get the 10 filled than the 5. I use Hokel in Ames to fill my tank, and it's around $9 for a 5 and $14 for a 10.
Mike's Brewing Page
http://www.mikebeer.net

Ames Brewers League
http://www.amesbrewersleague.org
<<

jonbeer

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:16 am

Nighthawk wrote:Sorry no real info from me.

Give a call to a fire extinguisher shop or welding supplier.

Here is a data base, hosted by George from the Green Board, you can add to when you find someone.

http://www.brewing.schmidt-house.com/CO2db/brewgas.php?view

Ceder Rapids is going for 12.50 to 16.00 for a refill on 5lbs.

A small tank is good. Especially if you have a leak.:lol:

The real cost is in the labor to fill the tank. The bigger the tank the less per pound you will spend.

Thanks to everyone for their posts. I was able to find a supplier pretty close to my house and they refilled my 5 lb tank for about $15 total. Fessler Carbonic Gas Company.

http://www.macraesbluebook.com/search/c ... ny=1506828

I'll check the website you gave me and give them this information if it is not there already.

Thanks again!

--
jw
<<

CaptainAmazing

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:43 pm

Sorry, I was out of town and didn't get to respond to your post in time, but I would have saved you some looking and recommended Fessler. They aren't the cheapest, but it is kind of nice knowing that they are filling with CO2 meant for beverage applications. I've had my 5 lb. tank filled there 3 times and haven't had any problems other than the fact that they don't take plastic. I think that two out of the three times I have gone there I have had to run to an ATM while they fill my tank...
<<

jbwittmer

Apprentice Brewer

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:17 am

Beer Crazy, the new shop out in Urbandale, also has tanks available for exchange. Sorry, I didn't notice the price.
-Jason
<<

adruma

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:00 pm

Is Fessler still the only place in Des Moines for tanks? I spent entirely too much time on the phone tonight trying to find a place to get a used one. Beer Crazy only has 5 pounders, and I'm looking for 10-20.
<<

cbbrew

Apprentice Brewer

Post Mon May 19, 2008 11:31 am

Does anyone know if Linweld in Omaha will fill the tanks or just exchange them? The one in Council Bluffs will only exchange.
<<

adruma

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 19, 2008 2:58 pm

The one in Des Moines will fill it on the spot as long as you can be there as the supplier is. I'm sure they can do that in Omaha too.

Return to Draft Systems