Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Wiring Johnson Controls - A419ABC-1C

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

danmerk23

Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:53 pm

Wiring Johnson Controls - A419ABC-1C

Can someone check to see if I am correct? I will eventually perm wire this with an outlet, but want the beer cold now!

<<

raelx

Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:42 pm

Looks perfect to me. Make sure you are in cooling mode and it will switch the fridge on when the temp is above the set point.
<<

WindyCityBrews

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:35 pm

thats exactly how i did mine
<<

JonesZ

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:58 pm

You ought to see if Zymico wants to buy that diagram.... there's sucks
<<

danmerk23

Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:08 pm

UPDATE: Totally works. Now if I can get an HVAC person to explain to me what the heck I am supposed to do now. I have it at a Set Point of 42* and it has a Diff of 4. It goes on at 45 and turns off at 34*??? Makes no sense. Anyone?
<<

SBR

Brewer

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:03 am

Hey, great diagram! JonesZ's right, the one on Zymico's page is pretty bad. As far as settings go, I have mine set at 60 (fermenting a kolsch) with a diff of 3. When the temp hits 64 the compressor kicks on - kicks off at 60. The temp will go down another degree or so after it kicks off, but it's pretty stable. There are other settings in the menu that I ignored, so I'm not sure what they do, but if you inadvertantly set one of those, maybe that's what is throwing you off.

There are others on this forum much more knowledgeable then I am about the a419, maybe one of them will chime in.

Not to hijack, but I wired my neutral wires directly into the com terminal, (didn't connect them with a wirenut and jumper them into the terminal.) I guess I didn't see the point of doing this, even tho that's how zymico had it in their diagram. Those with more electrical knowledge than I - am I missing a problem with wiring it this way?

danmerk23

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:25 am

Nah man, u are cool. Esp since you make Zappa references! I could have poked both whites in the same hole, but this was temporary as I am going to hard wire this later this week. Thanks man!
<<

danmerk23

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:30 am

Weird. I had it wired at 7pm and it brought my temps to my set point. Checked on it at 1am, and it was on but the freezer was off. Still at the set point. Then I woke up to check on it again, and it was off. The controller was showing no power and the LCD was off. I plugged the freezer into the wall and it came on, so it was not a breaker. I think I bought a bummed controller. I now have warm beer. :(
<<

VW_TDI

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:06 am

danmerk23 wrote:Weird. I had it wired at 7pm and it brought my temps to my set point. Checked on it at 1am, and it was on but the freezer was off. Still at the set point. Then I woke up to check on it again, and it was off. The controller was showing no power and the LCD was off. I plugged the freezer into the wall and it came on, so it was not a breaker. I think I bought a bummed controller. I now have warm beer. :(

Dumb question did you have it mounted vertical or laying horizontal. I had mine sitting horizontal and it got hotter than hell inside and had no display or power. Unplugged it and let it cool and mounted it to wall and have not had a problem since(it has been 3 weeks). Just a thought.
<<

danmerk23

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:29 am

Hey now! Serious? I felt it and it was only in hoirizontal position for 4 hours-- tops. It didn't appear warm, but I have it off for a few hours now and will check on my lunch break. Does it completely turn off like that when it gets hot? Never heard that before??

I contacted the seller and he says that there is nothing he can do other than sell me another one for same price. :( He did mention that it ~may~ be the load pulling too much, but this is a new freezer!! And not to mention that the wire is 12awg and new! It worked for 6 hours!??!!?!?!?!
<<

VW_TDI

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:01 pm

Mine was only horizontal for a few hours also. It wasn't so much hot on the outside but one piece inside(not sure what but it was too hot to touch). I have had it vertical for a while now and just opened it last night and could feel no where near the heat I did the first day of it being horizontal. I guess it does shut off as a safety mechanism. But like I said once I hung it up I haven't had any problems. Try vertical and see what happens.
<<

danmerk23

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:11 pm

Thanks! Will do.
<<

danmerk23

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:10 pm

The legacy continues. Johnson said that they can do nothing since this person who buys 5 a week, is not a distributor. Lame. I am out $46 and a kegerator. Time to get a paper route so I can buy another unit...
<<

VW_TDI

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:12 pm

So it is dead? I would maybe leave it sit overnight not connected to any power. Try it again in the morning crossing all fingers. Where in Cleveland are you? My in-laws live in Cleveland Hts. and work at Case.
<<

danmerk23

Post Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:53 pm

OK, update. I recieved a repalcement from the eBay seller. Was very greatful. Wired it up this morning, plugged it all in, and let sit for the day as I had to go to a wedding. I am back from the wedding, and sitting on the couch having a tall cold pale ale. OMG!! Tasted my beer kegged at the correct temps and I am so amazed. Never loved this craft as much before. I am so pleased. I love kegging!!!

Re: Cleveland, I live near west side of downtown. Off W. 98th. Love it here!

Return to Draft Systems