– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Best Way To Carbonate a Keg

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

mbg

Brewer

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Best Way To Carbonate a Keg

When I went to kegs a while back I just hook up the CO2 to the keg and wait 2-3 weeks. A few guys at work are into brewing and one says he adds priming sugar to the keg first and pressurizes through the out side first.

Is one method better than the other?

Thanks,

Mike
<<

MullerBrau

Master Brewer

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Re: Best Way To Carbonate a Keg

I don't like the extra sediment that comes from keg priming so I prefer set it and forget it.
<<

mppatriots

Master Brewer

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:23 pm

I do some shaking to get a jump on it and then let it sit to finish carbonating.
"Surely you can't be serious?" I am serious and don't call my Shirley."
<<

Baratone Brewer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:49 am

MullerBrau wrote:I don't like the extra sediment that comes from keg priming so I prefer set it and forget it.

Same here.
<<

Brewbeer22

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:11 am

I shake my kegs to force carb. I've found that 50 psi and 45 seconds of shaking at 60-65 degrees gets the carb level just about right on a keg that has been filled all the way. Even less time shaking is needed if the keg is not filled all the way.

YMMV and be careful, shaking to carb in this manner can easily result in a keg full of beer that comes out as foam.
Serving - BBC Steel Rail
Fermenting - need to brew
<<

560sdl

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:18 am

Brewbeer22 wrote:I shake my kegs to force carb. I've found that 50 psi and 45 seconds of shaking at 60-65 degrees gets the carb level just about right on a keg that has been filled all the way. Even less time shaking is needed if the keg is not filled all the way.

YMMV and be careful, shaking to carb in this manner can easily result in a keg full of beer that comes out as foam.

Seriously? Less than a minute at room temps, chill it down and it is carbonated?
<<

brans041

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:11 am

I like to do this... Keep it at 12-15 PSI @ 38 degrees (or whatever for your style) and each morning for the first few days I turn up the psi 10 half turns and then immediately down 10 half turns. I was able to get a decent carbonation on the beer in two days. Equalized in about three.
Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.
-Winston Churchill-
<<

Brewbeer22

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:38 am

560sdl wrote:Seriously? Less than a minute at room temps, chill it down and it is carbonated?

Yes. I carb through the gas in post, and have the keg up-side-down while shaking, so that the gas flowing into the keg bubbles through the beer to get to the "top".

Be careful, tho, it is really easy to over-carb. I've been doing it this way for more than 10 years so I have a system down.

How long to shake is also affected by the amount of empty space remaining in the keg after filling. More space = less time needed shaking. a
Serving - BBC Steel Rail
Fermenting - need to brew
<<

Flip

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:45 am

MullerBrau wrote:I don't like the extra sediment that comes from keg priming so I prefer set it and forget it.

I haven't noticed a difference in sediment between kegs I've primed and ones I force carbed. Both result in the first pint being murky and then it is fine. Since it is easy to prime my kegs and they sit for a month or two before going on tap any ways I go that route.
<<

GoldenChild

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:58 am

I would say that the only benefit to priming with sugar would be if you didnt have room in your kegerator. Other then that i dont understand why someone would even bother with it. I just set mine to 30psi for two days turn it down to serving pressure and I start drinking it.
Keg = Dry Irish Stout
Keg = Session IPA #2
Keg = RyePA
Keg = Cent IPA
Keg = Inn Keeper
Keg = Honey Brown ale
keg = British Bitter
Primary= lots :)

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."
-Henny Youngman
<<

mvsawyer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:18 pm

I do a quick force carb and am drinking beer in a few hours.
With the beer around 65*F i hook up the gas at 30psi and put the keg on the floor with the gas in post closest to the floor. I roll the keg back and forth for 100 seconds. I put the keg in the fridge and turn gas down to serving pressure (12 psi) and wait for it to get to serving temperature. Usually takes a few hours. I've did this with an Innkeeper and was able to drink a beer that was only 9 days old.
Prm1: Schwarzbier
Prm2: 1st Oktoberfest
Prm3: Dunkelweizen
Prm4: Helles
Keg: RIS Lite, Innkeeper, Honey Kölsch, Ranger Clone
Is Google a man or woman?
Has to be a woman because you can't finish a sentence without her suggesting something else.
<<

Flip

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:09 pm

GoldenChild wrote:I would say that the only benefit to priming with sugar would be if you didnt have room in your kegerator. Other then that i dont understand why someone would even bother with it.

Don't have independent regulators which means I can't serve and carbonate at the same time, also while the cost is in the weeds 2 oz of sugar is cheaper than the CO2 required for force carbing. Lets me make less runs for refills too since only having a 5 lbs CO2 tank it means I can make a tank last 15+ kegs vs. only ~7 kegs when force carbing and serving.
Last edited by Flip on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Brew Meister Smith

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:46 pm

I have a couple of keg lids with carbonation stones built in via second gas poppet and line to the bottom of the keg. I find this really improves the time it takes me to set and forget. Usually where I want it within a day.
Mike
<<

mbg

Brewer

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:33 am

This has been very helpful. I kegged the beer last Sunday and I'm bringing it to a work party on Dec. 14th and wanted to make sure it's carb'd.. Sounds like I will be fine.

Mike
<<

GoldenChild

Master Brewer

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:48 am

On the 14th oh yeah you will be more then fine.
Keg = Dry Irish Stout
Keg = Session IPA #2
Keg = RyePA
Keg = Cent IPA
Keg = Inn Keeper
Keg = Honey Brown ale
keg = British Bitter
Primary= lots :)

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."
-Henny Youngman
Next

Return to Draft Systems