– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Hop Randall Question

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

MullerBrau

Master Brewer

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Hop Randall Question

I got a hop Randall for Christmas along with some Cascade whole hops. The pale ale got a really weird linen / tea taste after coming in contact with the hops. I tossed the hops and then stuffed the Randall with some old Columbus hops and ran a Rye IPA through it. It was awesome and we killed the RIPA in a couple days.

Fast forward to yesterday, new Cascade hops with pale ale are really weird again. Dump them out and switch to new Columbus hops on a Rye IPA. After an hour, the weird taste is back and undrinkable.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what is going on with these whole hops? They came from hopsdirect and are new crop. The Cascades from Christmas were organic and grown in NJ near PA side.

I am considering pellet hops in a muslin bag for the Randall. I have never had a funk with pellets.
<<

1brobrewing

Apprentice Brewer

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: Hop Randall Question

Did the look off in color, or smell like cheese or metallic tasting? They could be stale, HD will refund your purchase if you call them. They are real good at that. Maybe treat your Randall with a cleaner,might be something from it.
<<

gregscsu

Master Brewer

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:28 pm

I have found that moderation is key in a randall, stuffing it to the brim with dry hops will cause some flow problems when the hops get wet and swell, which in turn can cause some excessinve extraction of hop oils and off flavors.
Primary: Devil's Sin Amber IPA
Secondary: BVIP
Keg: Black & Mild
Cask: Milk Stout
<<

MullerBrau

Master Brewer

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:22 pm

Nope, this is evident in the beer also when I keg hop with these whole hops. Definitely the hops.
<<

Central WA Brewing

Master Brewer

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:20 pm

So you got this funk from both Cascade and Columbus? Or Cascade alone?
Primary: Empty
Keg: Empty
----------
Hops:
9th Year- Cascade, Chelan, Chinook, & Willamette
7th Year- Hallertauer Tradition
6th Year- Chelan, Hallertauer Tradition, & Galena
4th year- Chelan
2nd year- Cascade, Chelan
<<

MullerBrau

Master Brewer

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:50 am

Central WA Brewing wrote:So you got this funk from both Cascade and Columbus? Or Cascade alone?
I got it from both and it was equally nasty on both. Later this week I will try the Centennials as I bought them at the same time too. I need a few days for the kegs of Two Hearted Ale to carbonate and condition.
<<

MullerBrau

Master Brewer

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:52 am

gregscsu wrote:I have found that moderation is key in a randall, stuffing it to the brim with dry hops will cause some flow problems when the hops get wet and swell, which in turn can cause some excessinve extraction of hop oils and off flavors.
I filled it a quarter full, half full and stuffed full. It did not change a thing except when too full it foamed while pouring.
<<

gregscsu

Master Brewer

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Sounds like you have it narrowed down to the hops.

Time to call Hopsdirect.
Primary: Devil's Sin Amber IPA
Secondary: BVIP
Keg: Black & Mild
Cask: Milk Stout
<<

S.Scoggin

Master Brewer

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:39 pm

I had a similar experience in a pale ale i brewed beginning of December. it tasted great going into the keg, but when i added the hops it produced a unpleasant iron/metalic taste. i quickly got rid of the hops and transfered into a new keg. then I left the APA sitting in the fridge for about 3 weeks. eventually it became drinkable.

at the time i wasnt sure if it came from the hops or the keg. and i dont know the supplier of the hops.

never experienced it again. but damn, i was real close to dumping it
<<

MullerBrau

Master Brewer

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:29 pm

S.Scoggin wrote:I had a similar experience in a pale ale ..... never experienced it again. but damn, i was real close to dumping it
My problem is that I have 5 kegs of this stuff and this is the second time this is happening. That's a lot of beer to dump. Last time it happened, I bottled up the last keg and gave it to a friend who didn't care for the off taste but was happy to get free beer.

From what I gather, the Randall is where I notice it first but eventually, the taste gets to the kegged beer as I used the same hops in the making of the beer. Before I call hopsdirect, I want to see if my Centennials are affected too. If so, it will be Cascades, Columbus and Centennial, which happen to be all of the whole hops I bought from them.
<<

Central WA Brewing

Master Brewer

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:42 pm

I did a quick research on the Randall and don't think O2 in the system has time to effect your beer flavor. It just seems weird that two different packages did the same thing.
For trial, purge it with CO2 after packing it then dispense.
Primary: Empty
Keg: Empty
----------
Hops:
9th Year- Cascade, Chelan, Chinook, & Willamette
7th Year- Hallertauer Tradition
6th Year- Chelan, Hallertauer Tradition, & Galena
4th year- Chelan
2nd year- Cascade, Chelan
<<

airlocksniffer

Master Brewer

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:31 pm

MullerBrau wrote:If so, it will be Cascades, Columbus and Centennial, which happen to be all of the whole hops I bought from them.

Hopefully not as I bought the same hops from them. I did dryhop with 3 oz of CTZ in my double IPA and didn't experience the same flavor as you are describing.
Only think of two things - the gun and the tape. When you hear the one, just run like hell until you break the other. ~Sam Mussabini

Return to Hops