– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Growing Hops in Minnesota

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Bosco81

Apprentice Brewer

Post Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:22 pm

Growing Hops in Minnesota

Last year I ordered some rhizomes from freshops, and planted them in-doors to get them started but they grew too fast. I couldn't get them transplanted because they were pretty fragile when only a couple weeks old. I couldn't get them to restart

My question is who on this forum grows hops in MN. I live near Minneapolis, and this is generally a Zone 4 growing season. I wanna get it right this year, and am curious to know what kind (s) of hops others have grown in this area.

I find different info on the internet in regards to the first season I will have harvestable hops. I have heard the first season usually does not produce but then I have heard that isn't true.

I searched the site but didn't find much in regards to my Question :roll:
<<

B_W

Master Brewer

Post Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:14 pm

Re: Growing Hops in Minnesota

I grew Chinook and cascade in central mn last summer. they yielded 4 wet oz the first year.
Ben
all said,I still drink Gluek
<<

gumby1974

Master Brewer

Post Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:41 pm

friend of mine planted 20 this spring. A combination of cascade, centennial and red vine. Cascades were BIG rhizomes and they yeilded nicely first year, the others did just not as much. Plant early.
Primary: Irish Draught Ale

Secondary: Dry stout, Pale Ale

On Tap: Dry Stout, Pale Ale, Dry Cider

On Deck: 10 gallons Milk Stout: 5 G. plain and 5 G. dry razzed.( Raspberries right in the keg)
--Mike
<<

archemitis

Post Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:48 am

i have a friend that grows hops about an hour north east of minneapolis and he said the american varieties did the best for him the last two seasons. i have another friend who has an apartment building in uptown thats covered in hop vines, they have been there for 15+ years. the only problem is we dont know what kind they are but they grow great. i have some going right now, and i plan on just cuting back the tops all winter to grow a big root ball for a headstart in the spring.
if you want any yield in the first year, i think you have to start early.
<<

BrewCityBrewer

Apprentice Brewer

Post Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:24 am

I live in Milwaukee, so a little warmer than the Twin Cities but not a whole lot. Last year was the first time I ever grew hops. I planted 2 Cascades, 2 Chinook, 1 Mt Hood, 3 Centennial, 3 Sterling and 1 Golding. The Chinooks far and away outproduced anything else followed by the Mt. Hood and a tie for 3rd with the Centennial's and Cascades. I wasn't able to harvest anything from the Sterling or Golding although they grew well.

The key like said before is to get an early start, once you receive the rhizomes plant them in some starter pots. You should be able to transplant them outside by the first week in May. The Cascades and Sterling's were the only rhizomes I didn't pot in the house....and the Sterling's produced nothing and the Cascades about 1oz dried between 2 plants compared with over 6oz dried from the 2 Chinooks and 3oz dried from the 1 Mt. Hood which I did start in the house.
<<

Bosco81

Apprentice Brewer

Post Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:29 pm

Thanks so much for the responses. This is very helful. I will continue checking, and will leave some posts next year so you can see how it goes for me. For those of you that have only gone for one year do you expect more next year or following years?
<<

gumby1974

Master Brewer

Post Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:51 pm

With 20+ plants 14 feet tall second year should be fruitful to say the least! :cheers: :shock:
Primary: Irish Draught Ale

Secondary: Dry stout, Pale Ale

On Tap: Dry Stout, Pale Ale, Dry Cider

On Deck: 10 gallons Milk Stout: 5 G. plain and 5 G. dry razzed.( Raspberries right in the keg)
--Mike
<<

buckj04

Master Brewer

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:08 am

Last spring I ordered 4 rhizomes...2 Centennial, 1 Cascade and 1 Horizon. I started the Cascade and Horizon indoor and had the same problem you did. They both got leggy and had very weak bines. Then I managed to break off the Cascade when I transplanted it (it survived). The 2 Centennials I just planted outdoors in early April...it was snowing the day I planted them. The Centennial by far out preformed the 2 others.

Basically, I would say that starting them indoors is an unnecessary step.
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
<<

jdata

Master Brewer

Location: Hundreds of miles away from any brewery or brewpub. (Bismarck, ND)

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:51 pm

I'm in North Dakota. I planted Cascades two years ago. The location was too shady and they grew for crap, so I transplanted them in the Spring this year to a nice sunny spot and they grew like mad and produced a proliferation of excellent flowers (which are tasting delicious in a pale ale right now).

I tried planting Willamettes in the same spot in the Spring, too, and got nothing from them.
Bottled: American Pilsner, Altbier, Barleywine 2008
Fermenting: Northern Amber, Orange Blossom Mead, Barleywine 2009
On Deck: Prob'ly something wheaty
<<

onthekeg

Master Brewer

Post Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:18 am

I planted 4 sterlings and 2 chinook last spring. I managed to overfertilize them and killed them straight away. My 2 year old Nuggets, I planted straight into the ground in mid april were growing well and yielded about 1 1/2 5gal pails of hops. I vacuum packed them wet into the freezer and use 3x the amount in brews.

My cascade hop is not very good yet at 2 years. Hopefully next year it will produce better.
Heres a poor pic of one of my nuggets from this August.

"The dog is an outside dog. You want an inside dog, you go get your own inside."

I hate the Packers so much, I wouldn't cheer for them if they were playing al Qaeda.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be sure.
<<

limetwist

Master Brewer

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:32 am

I'm wondering where everyone got their hops from. Gurneys has one but no mention of type, so I'm assuming they're selling it as decorative. I see they have them in the Jung catalog http://www.jungseed.com/sp.asp?c=578catalog I just got (Cascade, Mt Hood, Willamette and Nugget).

Just curious.

http://www.jungseed.com/dp3.asp?c=&sku=30427 oops, the Willamette they're selling under "novelty small fruits" instead of hops vines... lol :cheers:
Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it. -Maimonides
<<

JoeP

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:47 am

I live in Minneapolis, ordered rootstock from my LHBS, stored them in the fridge when they arrived (ground was still frozen), and didn't get them planted until late May. I put them in compost mounds, weeded, pruned, and watered regularly. At harvest, I dried the hops in a food dehydrator, vacuum sealed them, and froze them. I was pleasantly surprised at my first year output:
    Oz.----Hop
  • 3.25---Cascade
  • 4.50---Nugget
  • 0.50---Willamette
  • 0.25---Styrian
<<

mattmelcher

Master Brewer

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:50 am

limetwist wrote:I'm wondering where everyone got their hops from. Gurneys has one but no mention of type, so I'm assuming they're selling it as decorative. I see they have them in the Jung catalog http://www.jungseed.com/sp.asp?c=578catalog I just got (Cascade, Mt Hood, Willamette and Nugget).

Just curious.

http://www.jungseed.com/dp3.asp?c=&sku=30427 oops, the Willamette they're selling under "novelty small fruits" instead of hops vines... lol :cheers:

Try our hosts at Northern Brewer first. That's where I got most of mine. They will have them listed for sale in another month or two. Most of the mail order home brew places sell hop rhizomes in the spring. I saw the listing in the Jung catalog and was surprised they had more than one variety. Most of the garden catalogs dont even list varieties, and if they do it's usually Nugget.
Makes it's own sauce when you add water...
<<

desertbronze

Master Brewer

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:59 am

Bosco81 wrote:Last year I ordered some rhizomes from freshops, and planted them in-doors to get them started but they grew too fast. I couldn't get them transplanted because they were pretty fragile when only a couple weeks old. I couldn't get them to restart.

It is not necessary to start a hop plant indoors. Just leave the rhizomes in the refrigerator until you can dig the holes. Dig a two foot deep hole as soon as Mother Nature will allow. Fill the hole with your preferred mixture of manure and topsoil. Plant the rhizomes and let Mother Nature do the rest. These are vigorous plants - no need to baby them.
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
<<

Denny

Master Brewer

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:24 pm

I have to admit that I chuckle at guys who plant lots of rhizomes....20???? 8 years down the road, I can't wait to hear your reaction to harvesting all those hops! I realize it's great to have 'em, but it's also kinda overwhelming, too. I have one 8 year old Cascade plant and this year I got 22 lb. wet, 5.25 lb. dry off of it. By the time I was done harvesting, I couldn't wait for it to be over! Now, multiply that by 20 plants!
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is.

www.dennybrew.com
Next

Return to Hops