– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Hops rhizomes supplier recommendation

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

DeanRIowa

Brewer

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:50 pm

Hops rhizomes supplier recommendation

I am looking for hops rhizomes supplier recommendation for next season.

I am hoping to start Saaz and Hallertau hops.

thanks,
Dean
Planned: Bavarian Hefe Weizen
Up Next: Irish Stout
Primary: Irish Red Ale
Secondary: German Alt
Bottled: Hard Cider, Kölsch
Drinking: Commerical beers :(

Contemplating: Czech Pilsner, Bavarian Helles, Bavarian Dunkle, Austrian Marzen, Vienna Lager
<<

SolomonsCommune

Master Brewer

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Re: Hops rhizomes supplier recommendation

I got mine from www.freshhops.com and couldn't be happier. They also SEEM to carry the varieties you'd mentioned. You'll have to check later this winter or early spring 2012...

http://freshops.com/hop-growing/rhizome ... riety_list
<<

B-Hoppy

Master Brewer

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:10 pm

I'll second the Freshops suggestion. Another source would be: http://rnventerprises.com/ . Ralphie used to be the 'big cheese' at Hopunion and has been selling rhizomes for a while now. They're both great guys and will treat you fair along with providing you with the best quality plant material and great follow-up service if you have any problems. Hop On!
<<

DeanRIowa

Brewer

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:16 am

Freshops looks like a good place.

They are not currently showing their stock or prices, do you know what are the approximate cost per Rhizome?

How many Rhizomes should I order per variety, if I plan to use telephone poles for my growing trellis?

thanks,
Dean

Contemplating: Czech Pilsner, Bavarian Helles, Bavarian Dunkle, Austrian Marzen, Vienna Lager
<<

n8young

Master Brewer

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:28 am

DeanRIowa wrote:Freshops looks like a good place.

They are not currently showing their stock or prices, do you know what are the approximate cost per Rhizome?

How many Rhizomes should I order per variety, if I plan to use telephone poles for my growing trellis?

thanks,
Dean

Are you planning on using "active" telephone poles? Power/Cable/Phone companies can really frown upon this and I think if there are ever any damages caused by your plants growing up their poles, they will charge you for it.....or so I have heard.

When I bought my rhizomes, I wanna say they were like $3 a rhizome....how many you order depends on how much product you want. Year one expect nothing, year 2 expect some.....year 3 on, plant should be around it's maturest....and you should start seeing full harvests, which will vary by year, growing conditions, water, etc......
<<

B-Hoppy

Master Brewer

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:04 am

DeanRIowa wrote:How many Rhizomes should I order per variety, if I plan to use telephone poles for my growing trellis?

thanks,
Dean

Most people suggest at least two of each variety. This puts the odds in your favor in case one ends up being a 'dud'. Buying from Dave or Ralph almost assures you of 100% success being that they're the ones that go out and do the digging (no middleman so there's no improper handling). Freshops is between 4 or 5 bucks each and I really don't know what Ralph sells them for. Saaz and Hallertau aren't really big producers and I know that Saaz doesn't even do well in Czech. Republic where it originated. You'll have to grow a few different varieties in your location to see which ones like your place. It seems that they're very sensitive to different soil types and do very well in deep, well drained soils - like the kinds you find in historical grape growing regions. Good luck!
<<

BrewTech

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:35 pm

<<

Dog House Brew

Master Brewer

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:21 pm

No matter where I bought them I would get them early while they are fresh. I would get your soil ready now with some compost. it is a lot easier to work the soil now than after the winter season. I've always thought that mine could have been larger and better when I got them, but they all grew. I think starting a hill with at least 3 per hill give you good growth and better early production. I used a tree on one end and a 6x6 on the other end. I have 90' of cable at about 14' high holding 8 different hills. I used 2-3 ropes per hill and it worked well. Hops Direct has some good video and info on growing.
<<

DeanRIowa

Brewer

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:46 pm

I was hoping to use telephone poles for a trellis as I am not very handy and was hoping for something easy.

Do hops grow sideways?

What, if I would try to grow them on a cattlepanel like a fence, max height 6'?
Cattlepanel as a arch, max height 8'?

Any ideas for something simple?

thanks,
Dean

<<

n8young

Master Brewer

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:45 am

DeanRIowa wrote:I was hoping to use telephone poles for a trellis as I am not very handy and was hoping for something easy.

Do hops grow sideways?

What, if I would try to grow them on a cattlepanel like a fence, max height 6'?
Cattlepanel as a arch, max height 8'?

Any ideas for something simple?

thanks,
Dean

Hops will grow in EVERY direction. I have seen photos on here of many people who grow them exclusively on chain link fences, and get great production. They areversatile, and they will climb and grow any, and every way they can.
<<

FriendsR2Thirsty

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:17 pm

I would note that mine grow much better vertically than horizontally. Once I get them trained on the string, they grow upwards without any additional help....but I need to tend to the new growth every few days to keep them wrapped horizontally.

I assume this what others see -- or am I just wrapping them the wrong way? I wrap clockwise to grow upwards, then wrap to the way that would have 'em following the sun (again, east to west) once they go horizontal.

Return to Hops