Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Bells Two Hearted Ale

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

nordjaeger

User avatar

Apprentice Brewer

Posts: 40

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:11 am

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:35 pm

Bells Two Hearted Ale

After looking at several clones I'm seeing varying rates of IBU's. Does ANYONE HAVE a clue about approximate IBUs of a Two Hearted Ale is? I used Centennial hops schedule and I'm looking for some middle ground on this one! I have seen from 47 to the low 80s. HELP!
"Attende Domine, et miserere, quia peccavimus tibi"
On tap:Old Wiener Alt
Bottled: Noble Wiener Weißbier, Deutscher Pilz
Primary: NB St. Paul Porter, Goose Island Urban Wheat Ale 312
Up next: Silvestertag Doppelbock, Two Hearted Ale Clone
<<

MullerBrau

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 6852

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:35 pm

Location: Troy, MI

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Re: Bells Two Hearted Ale

My clone is as close as you can get IMHO. We have done many taste tests and I have made at least 150 gallons of it. The IBU's are about 50 but for best results, use late hopping techniques to achieve this bitterness. It takes more hops but is the secret to a wonderful clone. Here is the recipe. Scale to your batch size.

Image
<<

nordjaeger

User avatar

Apprentice Brewer

Posts: 40

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:11 am

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:16 am

Re: Bells Two Hearted Ale

THX! I think I'm pulling 47 right now...I'll give yours a shot. I agree with the late hop additions..Makes sense!
"Attende Domine, et miserere, quia peccavimus tibi"
On tap:Old Wiener Alt
Bottled: Noble Wiener Weißbier, Deutscher Pilz
Primary: NB St. Paul Porter, Goose Island Urban Wheat Ale 312
Up next: Silvestertag Doppelbock, Two Hearted Ale Clone
<<

Wahoo

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 3105

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:38 pm

Location: Corner of Centennial and Columbus, State of Connecticut

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:11 am

Re: Bells Two Hearted Ale

That looks like a very solid recipe. I have only had THA maybe 6-8 times in my life but I thought it had a bit of a british yeast character. US-05 is close as far as fermentation profile goes?
"Lagers? You'll put your eye out. Stick To Ales"
<<

bdaugherty

Master Brewer

Posts: 681

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:16 am

Location: Lebanon OH

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Bells Two Hearted Ale

Wahoo wrote:That looks like a very solid recipe. I have only had THA maybe 6-8 times in my life but I thought it had a bit of a british yeast character. US-05 is close as far as fermentation profile goes?


a lot of people say 1272 is basically bells house yeast. but uso5 is so convientent and gets you close enough for my tastes anyways.
<<

MullerBrau

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 6852

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:35 pm

Location: Troy, MI

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:39 am

Re: Bells Two Hearted Ale

bdaugherty wrote:a lot of people say 1272 is basically bells house yeast. but uso5 is so convientent and gets you close enough for my tastes anyways.
My thoughts exactly. I don't ever want to make a starter for 22 gallons. US-05 is my yeast of choice.
<<

kenc_zymurgy

Master Brewer

Posts: 1768

Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:49 pm

Location: Northern IL, USA

Post Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:12 pm

Re: Bells Two Hearted Ale

MullerBrau wrote:
bdaugherty wrote:a lot of people say 1272 is basically bells house yeast. but uso5 is so convientent and gets you close enough for my tastes anyways.
My thoughts exactly. I don't ever want to make a starter for 22 gallons. US-05 is my yeast of choice.


How many US05 packs do you use for 22 Gallons?

-kenc
<<

MullerBrau

User avatar

Master Brewer

Posts: 6852

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:35 pm

Location: Troy, MI

Post Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:15 am

Re: Bells Two Hearted Ale

kenc_zymurgy wrote:How many US05 packs do you use for 22 Gallons?

-kenc
For OG<1.080, I use 4 packages. For OG>1.080, I use 6 packages.
<<

bdaugherty

Master Brewer

Posts: 681

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:16 am

Location: Lebanon OH

Post Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:10 am

Re: Bells Two Hearted Ale

MullerBrau wrote:
kenc_zymurgy wrote:How many US05 packs do you use for 22 Gallons?

-kenc
For OG<1.080, I use 4 packages. For OG>1.080, I use 6 packages.


so i just had to see what mr malty said for a starter for 22 gal.

with one month old smack packs it will take three smack packs in a 26.75 liter simple starter. thats over 6 gal :shock:

edit OG i entered was 1.067

Return to Hops

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider]