– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Wyeast 1469

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Baratone Brewer

Master Brewer

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:27 pm

Wyeast 1469

Going to be brewing an Oatmeal Stout soon and was thinking about using Wyeast 1469. Anyone ever used this yeast in an Oatmeal Stout before? It was released in the 4th quarter PC from Wyeast and I have not used it before, but it sounds great!
<<

gregscsu

Master Brewer

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: Wyeast 1469

I have not brewed with it yet, but I have a starter of it going right now. The starter smells really good though. I think it will work really well in a Oatmeal Stout
I plan on making NB's Innkeeper with it on Sunday.
Primary: BVIP, Milk Stout
Secondary:
Keg: Apfelwein, Brown Ale, Brandy Oak Irish Red, Octoberfest, Black & Mild
Cask: Brown Ale
<<

The Professor

Master Brewer

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:45 pm

Baratone Brewer wrote:Going to be brewing an Oatmeal Stout soon and was thinking about using Wyeast 1469. Anyone ever used this yeast in an Oatmeal Stout before? It was released in the 4th quarter PC from Wyeast and I have not used it before, but it sounds great!

It'll probably make a great stout. I haven't tried it yet meyself (although I am about to in the coming weeks for a string of brews).

Why not just try it out?
It's the only way you'll really find out what it contributes to your beer.

I wouldn't take a lot of stock in opinions you get on the forums (and that includes my own) concerning this sort of thing. Taste perceptions from person to person can be so different that someone's potentially negative report could actually steer you away from something you'll really like. It happened to me with the 'Ringwood' strain..I read a lot of negative stuff about it years ago but loved it when I finally tried it in one of my own brews.
Last edited by The Professor on Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?"
<<

Baratone Brewer

Master Brewer

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:50 pm

The Professor wrote: Why not just try it out?

It's the only way you'll really find out what it contributes to your beer.

I wouldn't take a lot of stock in opinions you get on the forums (and that includes my own). Taste perceptions from person to person can be so different that someone's potentially negative report could actually steer you away from something you'll really like.

Yeah, I've already made my mind up about using it, no doubt that it will be used in my next batch. I just like to see what others results have been with a certain strain and then compare it to my own results. I'm stubborn like that. :lol:
<<

chumley

Master Brewer

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:35 pm

I haven't used it in an oatmeal stout, but I have brewed a bitter and a nut brown ale with WY1469, and both turned out terrific.
<<

BrewingRover

Master Brewer

Post Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:24 am

I used it in a porter last time it was out and thought it was great. I'm really hoping they make this a full time offering as I've loved it in everything I've used it in.
I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Return to Yeast & Fermentation