– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Wyeast #2565 Kolsch

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Humulus_guy

Master Brewer

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:01 pm

Wyeast #2565 Kolsch

I have my first AG Kolsch in primary. The blowoff tube that I installed is working and it seems that there is a bunch of yeast in my blowoff jar. Will this affect my attenuation? (see attached pic) Is #2565 a top-fermenting yeast?
Attachments
blowoff.jpg
blowoff.jpg (46.43 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
Primary: Jamil's Vanilla Porter
Secondary:
On Deck: Denny's RyePA (always)
Bottled: Smoking Gun Amber, Hop Hammer
Kegged: Founder's Breakfast Stout clone, Red Amber, Kolsch,
<<

BRANDON

Master Brewer

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Wyeast #2565 Kolsch

Yes 2565 is a top cropping strain. That is a pretty good amount of yeast being blown through though. Whats the temp? Is the beer in a 6.5 gallon container?
<<

Humulus_guy

Master Brewer

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:53 pm

Yes, probably just under 6 gallons in the 6.5 gallon fermenter. Temp is around 60.
Primary: Jamil's Vanilla Porter
Secondary:
On Deck: Denny's RyePA (always)
Bottled: Smoking Gun Amber, Hop Hammer
Kegged: Founder's Breakfast Stout clone, Red Amber, Kolsch,
<<

tom sawyer

Master Brewer

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:55 pm

It'll be fine, all that krausen is extra. A lot of breweries crop yeast off the top, they wouldn't do it if it was yeast needed for the fermentation.
Lennie

Brewing: Lambics (always), dopplebock
<<

SkiWithG

Master Brewer

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:01 pm

I always get a big blow-off with WY2565, even fermenting @ 60F.
<<

dmtaylo2

Master Brewer

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:28 am

Yes, this yeast makes a huge krausen that takes about a month to fall back in and settle out. Give this yeast a lot of extra time to do its thing, and you will be rewarded.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
<<

lovethebeer

Brewer

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:16 pm

I am getting ready to brew this beer (my second batch ever). At the start of the brew I have 6 gallons of water in a 9 gallon pot. I wasn't planning on making a starter with this on but using 2 of the "smack pack" Wyeast 2565. Is this a good idea? I have read that some people use 2 packs for 5 gallon batches without a starter but the pack says 1 pack will do. Advice?
On Deck: American Amber Ale (All grain)
Primary:
Secondary: Tongue Splitter
Keg: EPA
<<

babalu87

Master Brewer

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:09 pm

2565 and 1007

We should have a krausen-off :cheers:

My money is on 1007
ALL
DAY :lol:
Jeff

On draught:Hallertau Ale, IIPA, Bitter, Stout
Primary: Hefeweizen, Berliner Weisse, Imperial Stout ,Apfelwine
<<

blitzbock

Master Brewer

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:15 pm

BRANDON wrote:Yes 2565 is a top cropping strain. That is a pretty good amount of yeast being blown through though. Whats the temp? Is the beer in a 6.5 gallon container?

hello, do you D-rest on a kolsch?
<<

SkiWithG

Master Brewer

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:23 pm

blitzbock wrote:

What I do is ferment @ 60 and begin to ramp up a degree or 2 a day starting on about day 4 until I reach 65.

Cheers,
Glenn
<<

Thirsty_Monk

Master Brewer

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:40 pm

SkiWithG wrote:
blitzbock wrote:

What I do is ferment @ 60 and begin to ramp up a degree or 2 a day starting on about day 4 until I reach 65.

Cheers,
Glenn

+1 on ramping up the temp.
I do it after 7-th day.
Na Zdravie

On Tap:
Czech Dark Beer
Bohemian Pilsner

Lagering/Conditioning:
Bohemian Pilsner

In Fermenter:
Marzen
<<

dmtaylo2

Master Brewer

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:48 pm

lovethebeer wrote:I am getting ready to brew this beer (my second batch ever). At the start of the brew I have 6 gallons of water in a 9 gallon pot. I wasn't planning on making a starter with this on but using 2 of the "smack pack" Wyeast 2565. Is this a good idea? I have read that some people use 2 packs for 5 gallon batches without a starter but the pack says 1 pack will do. Advice?

It will *probably* be okay if you use 2 packs and let it swell up completely before brewing... but it is always safer to make a big 2 or 3 quart starter and brew when it's hit high krausen. I've underpitched the 2565 in the past and ended up having to dump the batch. There are certain shortcuts that a brewer can take, but others that we really should not. Any potential for underpitching healthy yeast cells is NOT worth the risk, IMHO. I guess I've had to dump too many batches due to risk-taking with underpitching, so I worry. But it's up to you. If you were just doing one pack, I'd be very worried. But with 2 packs... you'll *probably* be alright. But maybe not.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
<<

lovethebeer

Brewer

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:14 pm

dmtaylo2 wrote:
lovethebeer wrote:I am getting ready to brew this beer (my second batch ever). At the start of the brew I have 6 gallons of water in a 9 gallon pot. I wasn't planning on making a starter with this on but using 2 of the "smack pack" Wyeast 2565. Is this a good idea? I have read that some people use 2 packs for 5 gallon batches without a starter but the pack says 1 pack will do. Advice?

It will *probably* be okay if you use 2 packs and let it swell up completely before brewing... but it is always safer to make a big 2 or 3 quart starter and brew when it's hit high krausen. I've underpitched the 2565 in the past and ended up having to dump the batch. There are certain shortcuts that a brewer can take, but others that we really should not. Any potential for underpitching healthy yeast cells is NOT worth the risk, IMHO. I guess I've had to dump too many batches due to risk-taking with underpitching, so I worry. But it's up to you. If you were just doing one pack, I'd be very worried. But with 2 packs... you'll *probably* be alright. But maybe not.

I'm using the extract kit from this site. What ingerdients do you use to make your starter (i.e. use part of the malt syrup?) *IF* I choose to not make a starter AND use 2 packs of the 2565, assuming the 2 packs swell up nicely when "smacked" inspire a little confidence in not making a starter?

I guess I might be looking for these short cuts because I don't know how to make a starter or I'm not fully confident in making one. So I hate to be a bother, but could you (or someone) step-by-step a starter process for me? Including time to start before brew day.

Thank you so much for your reply.
Primary:
<<

dmtaylo2

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:13 pm

How to make a starter? It's very easy to do, and doesn't take much time. First, buy yourself a 3-pound bag or two of dry malt extract. I always keep some on hand for making starters. Dry extract is convenient because it is easier to store and measure.

You'll need to do the calculations yourself, but basically, you're making a tiny little batch of extract beer, but without any hops. Calculate how much extract you would need for, say, 2 quarts of starter -- this of course is a half gallon. So, I don't recall specific numbers, but maybe extract has around 36 points per pound per gallon? Something like that. You always want to shoot for about 1.035 to 1.040 for your yeast starters. Never any more or less gravity than that. 1.040 is just enough to wake up the yeast and get them multiplying, without stressing them out due to too high a gravity. So if you're making a half gallon, you'll need about a half pound -- am I right? Confirm my math for me, please.

So then after you weigh out your necessary amount of extract for whatever volume you want for your starter, you just dissolve it in the proper volume of water, and boil it for about 5 to 10 minutes -- no need to boil for an hour. You just want to kill any wild critters and that's it.

Then put that into a small sanitized bottle or jar, something you can do a small fermentation in. It will foam up, so use a container that will leave some room for that. Cover it with clean aluminum foil or a loose lid (sanitized, of course), and let it cool down to 70 F or less, then pitch your yeast, shake it up, and let it go for one or two days (two days is probably better). Temperature doesn't matter -- room temperature is just fine for making starters.

Then you're ready to brew and pitch your starter. There are two ways to pitch. You can pitch the whole darn thing, which will add a few quarts of volume to your final batch of beer. Or, you can just throw away the liquid on top, and just pitch the yeast that settled down to the bottom of the starter. I prefer to pitch the whole thing, because all of your super active yeast remains in suspension, and only the tired yeast settles out. But, with lagers, you really need to make at least a gallon-sized starter, which is a pretty huge volume, so for that, I just pitch the yeast from the bottom so that it doesn't add a whole extra gallon of weak 1.040 beer to my real batch.

How's that?
Dave

<<

lovethebeer

Brewer

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:32 pm

Sounds simple enough. Thank you for taking the time to do that. I thought it was more complex or in depth than that. So far everything looks good (I feel like an idiot, but the "smack pack" I have is for my Lefse Blond kit). This kit got the US-05 yeast. I guess the same thing will apply when I get ready for that kit. The yeast in that one is the 1762 Belgian Abbey II.

Again thank you!! It's nice to be on such a helpful forum and not one that takes a "silly" or "beginner" question and make the person feel like their 2. As always thanks for the help brew brothers :D

:cheers:
Primary:
Next

Return to Yeast & Fermentation