– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Electric Fermentation Heater

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

yournotpeter

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:00 am

Electric Fermentation Heater

Anyone use one of these?

I want to purchase an electric fermentation heater and really don't know how it works - specifically, when I plug it in, how do I control how "warm" it will make my beer? Is there any control to it?
<<

P-J

Site Moderator

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:19 am

Re: Electric Fermentation Heater

Welcome to the NB Forum.

The Electric Fermentation Heater discription states:
The EFH can be attached to a glass, plastic, or steel fermenter using electrical tape and plugged into a 110V outlet; for optimum results, use in conjunction with an electrontic temperature controller.
Northern Brewer also sells the controller.

Hope this helps.
<<

yournotpeter

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:32 pm

P-J wrote:Welcome to the NB Forum.

The Electric Fermentation Heater discription states:
The EFH can be attached to a glass, plastic, or steel fermenter using electrical tape and plugged into a 110V outlet; for optimum results, use in conjunction with an electrontic temperature controller.
Northern Brewer also sells the controller.

Hope this helps.

Thanks....At this point I can't swing a controller - so, I know it attaches to my glass carboy...but any idea as to how much warmer it will make it?
<<

P-J

Site Moderator

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:55 pm

yournotpeter wrote:Thanks....At this point I can't swing a controller - so, I know it attaches to my glass carboy...but any idea as to how much warmer it will make it?
Without a controller it could get fairly hot. Way more than you ever would want to use.

There are other devices that you could use to control the temp (if you are handy with electrical wiring) that would not cost as much.

I'd like to know a little more about your circumstances to better understand your need for the heater. Perhaps there are some simple solution to the problem.

Wishing you the best -
<<

yournotpeter

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:14 pm

P-J wrote:
I'd like to know a little more about your circumstances to better understand your need for the heater. Perhaps there are some simple solution to the problem.

Wishing you the best -

Thanks for helping me out...

Well, I'm investigating getting into lagering and see that having a freezer with a temp controller is a good way to maintain lager temps of around 36 degrees. However, what if I need to lager one beer (around 36) and want to ferment another lager (around 50) at the same time? That's my dilemma. I like repitching on yeast cakes, therefore I like the idea of following up one lager with another and with another. But if I do that, I need to lager the initial one and ferment the second one at different temps....

Return to Yeast & Fermentation