– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Wyeast 2565 for a Kolsch

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Draw Tap

Apprentice Brewer

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Wyeast 2565 for a Kolsch

I've been looking around on the boards and I've seen a couple different responses regarding the Wyeast 2565. Some say that it should be pitched and fermented around 60 to 65 degrees, while others say 70ish is fine, yet others still say 60 to 65 and raise the temperature to around 70 near the end of ferementation. What is the preferred way to go about the pitch and fermentation? Also, should I make a starter for this yeast? FYI-I'm making the NB Honey Kolsch extract kit @ 5 gallons.
<<

SkiWithG

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:23 pm

Re: Wyeast 2565 for a Kolsch

I make about a 2L starter (on a stir plate) when using WY2565. I usually have an apparent attenuation of 76.5% to 78.5% with WY2565. Check out MrMalty dot com to determine an appropriate starter size. My experience is that it's a good practice to make a starter with any liquid yeast.

As to fermentation temperature, I ferment WY 2565 at 62F for the first 4 days, then ramp up to 68, increasing by 1 degree every 12 hours or so. I've read of many other brewers fermenting lower than that, say 58 or 60F. You will likely get more esters flavors if you ferment at 70F.

When using this yeast, I always get a very active fermentation and need a blow tube with 5 gallons in a 6 gallon better bottle.

My last 2 Kolsch brews have been cloudy. I'm not sure if that's due to switching back from WLP029 to WY2565 or the fact that I've begun to make water corrections. Next time, I will forgo the water additions in an effort to isolate the cause. I don't want to switch back to WLP029 as I prefer the flavor profile of the WY2565, so I hope its the water.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll end up with a tasty Kolsch.

Cheers,
Glenn
Last edited by SkiWithG on Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Dan1076

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:56 pm

Wy2565 will be cloudier than wlp 029. The above suggestion is what I try to use to brew my Kolsch .
<<

majorvices

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:05 pm

I pitch around 58 and ferment around 60-62 then raise the temps to the mid 60s once the fermentation starts to slow. I haven't fermented it in the higher 60s for a long time but I remember being impressed at how much cleaner it was when I fermented cooler. That said, as long as you keep the fermentation temp in the 60s it will make a fine beer. I wouldn't go over 70.
- Keith Y.
-------------------------
Ein Prosit, der gemutlichkeit!
<<

Draw Tap

Apprentice Brewer

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks for the quick replies and good advice.

I will do the starter and pitch it around 60 degrees or slightly lower and raise the temp about two weeks into the process, making sure not to get out of the mid-60's, and using a blow off tube.

If you guys have any other suggestions, I'm all ears (eyes).
<<

dmtaylo2

Master Brewer

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:03 am

Here's a short answer from my own experience.

60 F is probably best for this yeast.

You should ABSOLUTELY make a big yeast starter! If you don't, it could ruin your beer. When I've made big starters, never had any problems. But one time I skipped it and ended up dumping the batch, I can't remember why but I think it was either too fruity or just plain contaminated, or both.

The beer will be almost done fermenting within about 2-3 weeks, but those last couple of points need extra time. The beer will stay cloudy for over a month, then all of a sudden (maybe after 5-6 weeks) the yeast will all drop out and be crystal clear. You need to give it a good long time to condition until it clears up.

Good luck.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
<<

Draw Tap

Apprentice Brewer

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:13 pm

After the 2-3 weeks of fermenting did you move it to a secondary or anything like that to condition? Or was the conditioning done in the bottles?
<<

dmtaylo2

Master Brewer

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:36 pm

I don't secondary anymore, not even my lagers. I just condition in the primary fermenter until everything is totally done, whether that's 2 weeks or 10 weeks, it doesn't matter. The old rule of thumb that "you must take your beer off the yeast cake as soon as fermentation is complete or else off-flavors will result" is a myth, and seems to hurt even more than it helps, in my experience. Racking increases your chance of contamination, plus it can stall your fermentation if it was not complete and actually increase your odds of diacetyl, DMS, sulfur, etc. Just leave it in primary and be done with it, that's my new motto. My Vienna lager is sitting in primary at 30-some degrees and will for another month or so. If it turns out terrible as a result, I'll be shocked and will publicly admit it. But experience tells me that won't happen, so I'm not worried.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
<<

majorvices

Master Brewer

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:47 pm

FTR I ferment my kolsch with 2565 (often times split between WLp029 and the WY strain) and, very often I get both strains cleared up at around 2-3 weeks. I use a secondary (a keg with the dip tube cut about 1/2 inch - aka a "bright tank") The WY strain does clear quicker usually. A little gelatin can also help clear the yeast. Of course, some times, for what ever reason the 2565 does take 4 weeks or so to clear. I'll admit - I'm usually drinking it by then. :wink:
- Keith Y.
-------------------------
Ein Prosit, der gemutlichkeit!
<<

Draw Tap

Apprentice Brewer

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks again for the insight guys. Since I don't plan on touching it until probably 4 or 5 weeks after pitching it, I won't worry about secondary.

Return to Yeast & Fermentation