– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Russian imperial stout secondary time

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

phish2160

Master Brewer

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:05 pm

Russian imperial stout secondary time

I am about to transfer my imperial stout into secondary after 10 days. Suggested total time is 4 months. Should i really keep it in secondary for 3 months? What r the pros of aging a beer like this so long? Is there a risk of contamination for keeping something so long?
Primary: Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: NA
On Tap: Black IPA, Irish Red
<<

Waylit

Master Brewer

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Russian imperial stout secondary time

That's a long time in secondary. Unless you plan on adding oak chips, just age the beer in bottles or a keg.
<<

The Professor

Master Brewer

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:56 pm

phish 2160, you're absolutely on the right track. No need to be in a rush.

In my experience (let's just say it's a LOT of years), 3 months in secondary isn't long at all for a Russian Imperial (I routinely go longer than that for RIS and similarly strong beers ...up to 5 months even). A slow fermentation will continue there and depending on your starting gravity, the beer could easily still be slowly fermenting at the end of 3 months. Slow is good. A strong beer like that is always going to taste better with age on it anyway.
I wouldn't even think of taking out of secondary before 3 months, and would probably leave it longer. Sure, it will be drinkable and tasty at that point, but it will get better if you leave it alone.

Make another brew not quite so hi-test to drink in the meantime. As long as your sanitation was A+ good, I don't think you'll regret waiting.
"How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?"
<<

1vertical

Master Brewer

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:04 pm

The Professor wrote:phish 2160, you're absolutely on the right track. No need to be in a rush.

In my experience (let's just say it's a LOT of years), 3 months in secondary isn't long at all for a Russian Imperial (I routinely go longer than that for RIS and similarly strong beers ...up to 5 months even). A slow fermentation will continue there and depending on your starting gravity, the beer could easily still be slowly fermenting at the end of 3 months. Slow is good. A strong beer like that is always going to taste better with age on it anyway.
I wouldn't even think of taking out of secondary before 3 months, and would probably leave it longer. Sure, it will be drinkable and tasty at that point, but it will get better if you leave it alone.

Make another brew not quite so hi-test to drink in the meantime. As long as your sanitation was A+ good, I don't think you'll regret waiting.

+1
I just took a Flanders Red out of secondary and it was 13 months in that carboy.....yummo.
Ever think your sole purpose for existing was to serve as a WARNING for others
Enjoying Casked Sour Cherry
The last of Maibock
On deck BVIP and the Strong portion of a Partigyle

<<

Tomthebrewer

Master Brewer

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:13 pm

I've had a RIS in the secondary for around 3-4 months. I'll add oak chips around mid-November and bottle mid-December. Should be ready to drink at Christmas.
<<

tankdeer

Master Brewer

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:49 am

3 months is about the MINIMUM I would go on an RIS. I usually go much longer. 6 months at least.
No beer and no TV make Homer something something...
<<

Cheshire_Cat

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:44 am

What about tempature? I have my RIS in a secondary now but after reading up some it seems best to keep it at cellar temp. Unfortunately the best I can manage is about 70 give or take a couple degrees. Since I can't maintain cellar temp would it be better to age in the bottle?

Thanks!
<<

1vertical

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:01 am

Cheshire_Cat wrote:What about tempature? I have my RIS in a secondary now but after reading up some it seems best to keep it at cellar temp. Unfortunately the best I can manage is about 70 give or take a couple degrees. Since I can't maintain cellar temp would it be better to age in the bottle?

Thanks!

What I recall about the historic RIS, was that it was made strong to survive the trip
from England to Russia in the hold of a cargo (sailing) vessel for many months at sea.
I do NOT believe that was a temperature controlled environment. IMO you should
just avoid wild temperature swings. RDWHAHB

In the optimum world, there would be no down side to anything... :wink:
Ever think your sole purpose for existing was to serve as a WARNING for others
Enjoying Casked Sour Cherry
The last of Maibock
On deck BVIP and the Strong portion of a Partigyle

<<

Wahoo

Master Brewer

Location: Corner of Centennial and Columbus, State of Connecticut

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:15 am

I would not transfer into the secondary until you are sure your fermentation is totally finished. Leaving it for an extra week on the yeast is probably a good idea.
"Lagers? You'll put your eye out. Stick To Ales"
<<

Baratone Brewer

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:02 pm

I primary my RIS for 3 weeks and then secondary for 3-4 months.
+1 to the main objective being to avoid temp swings.
<<

Cheshire_Cat

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks everyone. Thankfully living in the Bay Area I don't get to many temp swings even in the summer. Appreciate the input!
<<

Karl750

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:27 am

Waylit wrote:That's a long time in secondary. Unless you plan on adding oak chips, just age the beer in bottles or a keg.

+1
Bulk aging in a carboy sounds like a great way to possibly oxidize your beer before it's time. I bottle mine as soon as they're done fermenting. They age well, score great and are uniform in taste from bottle to bottle.
Drinking: Barley wine, Duvel Clone (2nd round 2011 NHC), Belgian Blond, Robust Porter (2nd round 2011 NHC), Tripel, Special Bitter (2nd round 2011 NHC), Oktoberfest (2nd round 2011 NHC), Saison

Lagering: Paulaner Oktoberfest Clone
<<

S.Scoggin

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:10 am

Karl750 wrote:
Waylit wrote:That's a long time in secondary. Unless you plan on adding oak chips, just age the beer in bottles or a keg.

+1
Bulk aging in a carboy sounds like a great way to possibly oxidize your beer before it's time. I bottle mine as soon as they're done fermenting. They age well, score great and are uniform in taste from bottle to bottle.

why would it be a risk of oxidation aging in the secondary?
<<

Karl750

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:24 pm

S.Scoggin wrote:why would it be a risk of oxidation aging in the secondary?

...because you're exposing your beer to oxygen for a long period of time. This is why I would recommend you age in a purged keg or just bottle it.
Drinking: Barley wine, Duvel Clone (2nd round 2011 NHC), Belgian Blond, Robust Porter (2nd round 2011 NHC), Tripel, Special Bitter (2nd round 2011 NHC), Oktoberfest (2nd round 2011 NHC), Saison

Lagering: Paulaner Oktoberfest Clone
<<

mvsawyer

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Karl750 wrote:
S.Scoggin wrote:why would it be a risk of oxidation aging in the secondary?

...because you're exposing your beer to oxygen for a long period of time. This is why I would recommend you age in a purged keg or just bottle it.

Just the oxygen in the headspace of the secondary vessel. I've found that racking to a secondary gets enough CO2 out of the beer to purge the air from this headspace. As long as you have an airlock, I don't see how any of the beer would be in contact with air.
Prm1: Schwarzbier
Prm2: 1st Oktoberfest
Prm3: Dunkelweizen
Prm4: Helles
Keg: RIS Lite, Innkeeper, Honey Kölsch, Ranger Clone
Is Google a man or woman?
Has to be a woman because you can't finish a sentence without her suggesting something else.
Next

Return to Yeast & Fermentation