Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Carbonation after 3 days? Can it be true?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

scupbucket

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Carbonation after 3 days? Can it be true?

Just bottled an irish red recipe on Sunday night after 3 weeks in primary using corn sugar. I set aside a 6 pack to test as the days go by and poured one tonight for the heck of it (low patience personality - I used some nice ol Lake Erie water) and to my surprise it poured all thick and beautiful like a store bought red and it tasted delicious with an earthy EKG taste and a beautiful malty finish. I cleaned and sanitized like a mofo. I've never had this kind of luck when brewing/bottling so I'm wondering if there might be an infection (with the fast carbonation) as I've read about bacterial infections and gushing and bottle bombs and stuff and fast carb. Am I worrying too much or is this the wonderful experience of all grain brewing that I've heard about? For the record, here's my recipe and procedure:

6.25# American 2-row
1.25# Vienna
.75# white wheat
.5# Crystal 120
.5# Special B
1oz. EKG 60 min.
1oz. Spalt 1 min.
Wyeast 1084 1L starter

Single infusion @ 150 for 1 hr. Batch sparged. 1.049 OG - 1.016 FG.

gracias
<<

SmokeEater

Master Brewer

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:56 pm

Re: Carbonation after 3 days? Can it be true?

Maybe too much priming sugar? No real advice or knowledge here, just think "out loud"...
What do you do to become enlightened? What are the signs you are succeeding? As you ponder these questions, I suggest beer.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on."
-Dean Martin
<<

SienaBrewer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:29 pm

It's not unheard of, especially if they were placed in a warm environment after you bottled. The one thing I am looking at is the that your FG is a bit high. I guess basically what I am saying is that your beer might not have fermented out fully and you might be in store for some bombs. I see you had it there for 3 weeks, but you never know.
<<

Boulderbrewer

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:26 am

I'm guessing that you expected more like a pale ale carbonation (about 2.5 volumes). What you have right now is lower than that and it's providing you with a decent head but with a lower carbonation and you are enjoying that maltlyness less the actual carbonation and maybe some sweetness for the sugar. Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer. :oops:

It sounds like a great beer so enjoy. :cheers:
If you are not part of the solution, you're the precipitate.

well, dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians...
<<

swampfoxbrew

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:40 am

scupbucket wrote:Just bottled an irish red recipe on Sunday night after 3 weeks in primary using corn sugar. I set aside a 6 pack to test as the days go by and poured one tonight for the heck of it (low patience personality - I used some nice ol Lake Erie water) and to my surprise it poured all thick and beautiful like a store bought red and it tasted delicious with an earthy EKG taste and a beautiful malty finish. I cleaned and sanitized like a mofo. I've never had this kind of luck when brewing/bottling so I'm wondering if there might be an infection (with the fast carbonation) as I've read about bacterial infections and gushing and bottle bombs and stuff and fast carb. Am I worrying too much or is this the wonderful experience of all grain brewing that I've heard about? For the record, here's my recipe and procedure:

6.25# American 2-row
1.25# Vienna
.75# white wheat
.5# Crystal 120
.5# Special B
1oz. EKG 60 min.
1oz. Spalt 1 min.
Wyeast 1084 1L starter

Single infusion @ 150 for 1 hr. Batch sparged. 1.049 OG - 1.016 FG.

gracias

It doesn't always take 2-3 weeks to carbonate in bottles. .....although 3 days is a bit soon. Just don't worry because there's nothing you can do about it anyway. Enjoy it! I've found that it's usually better to use too little corn sugar than too much. Somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 cups per 5 gallons will do. Malty higher gravity beers won't need as much....especially if you don't age them in a secondary very long. It's definitely a balancing act.
In Primary: None
In Secondary: IPA
In Bottles: Barleywine Ale, Pale Ale
Up Next: Session Red Ale
<<

Nighthawk

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:45 pm

I have had several beer carbonate in 3 days. I use a soda bottle with each batch so I can see how things are going without opening a single bottle.

I still let them sit for a couple of weeks before sampling.
<<

BoonieBrew

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:54 pm

Sounds too fast for an infection.

Either too much priming sugar or a fast prime.
"Making good beer is a skill, making exceptional beer is an art form."
-Sam Calagione
<<

cold...az

Master Brewer

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:20 am

Bottle carbonation time is largely determined by two main variables, the amount of yeast present and the temperature of the beer in the bottles. Three weeks is about "normal" but you can get wild variations according to those two main variables. I think you will find that once they are up to proper carbonation they should sit there and not go over carbed. Unless of course you added too much priming sugar. Your relatively short carb time is due to there being more yeast in there and probably a warm storage situation.

I typically get a three to four week bottle carb time with lagers that have been lagering for a couple of months and where much of the yeast has had a chance to drop out before bottling. Whereas my English Bitters are bottled directly from the Primary, sometimes only a few days after fermentation has finished, and can take three to six days and be nicely carbed.
Cold.
"There are only two kinds of people in the world... those who say to God 'Thy will be done' and those to whom God says... 'Thy will be done'
C.S.Lewis.
<<

BoonieBrew

Master Brewer

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:23 am

cold...az wrote:Whereas my English Bitters are bottled directly from the Primary, sometimes only a few days after fermentation has finished, and can take three to six days and be nicely carbed.
Cold.

Just have to say that's one of the many reasons I love bitters. They're pretty much fully carbed once fermentation is finished. In addition to the quick ferments and wonderful range of flavors.
"Making good beer is a skill, making exceptional beer is an art form."
-Sam Calagione
<<

cold...az

Master Brewer

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:41 pm

yeah, I completely agree. English bitters are my new favourites.
"There are only two kinds of people in the world... those who say to God 'Thy will be done' and those to whom God says... 'Thy will be done'
C.S.Lewis.
<<

scupbucket

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:43 pm

Thanks for the info guys. After a few more days it still tastes really good so I don't think it's a bug and they're going quick :). I used my typical 3/4 cup corn sugar to 2 cups water boiled. I guess I've just comparing it to my English Pale Ale that I stored at 59 degrees and after three weeks (OG 1.061) is only slightly carbed.

I'm gonna have to try some Bitter recipes.

:cheers:
<<

majorvices

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:34 am

I regularly have my bottle conditioned hefeweizens carbonated in under 3 days.
- Keith Y.
-------------------------
Ein Prosit, der gemutlichkeit!
<<

Conroe

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:17 am

Nearly every beer I've tested after three days at 70+ and a half day in the fridge have had reasonable carbonation. Some never carbed up any more after that.
mashweasel wrote:Its swimming upstream to teach people actual facts. People hear one thing from certain people that then it doesn't matter whats true or not.
<<

Not the Momma!

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:07 am

I don't thik his FG is too High... He is only about 2 points above the style guidelines.

Still I am having an issue with a batch recently done... Denny's RIPA.

Mine carbed up fine... just a 6 pack... But my friend (Who has the rest) said his isnt carbed yet... Its been about a weak and a half... My guess is that he is an idiot and is not keeping them warm enough and he hasnt shaken them either...

If his bottles were not sanitized correctly he would have gotten carbonation by now as well.
Then again I am a bit worried as he said he used "soap" and hot water to clean the bottles... Perhaps that would mess with the carbonation.
ON TAP:
Kolsch
BVIP
Avery Maharaja Clone
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing

Coming up: Stout, Evil Twin, Scotch Ale.

Check out my http://bowtiebrewing.blogspot.com/
<<

scupbucket

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Hmmm... I know soap would mess with the head retention but I'm not sure about carbonation. Maybe the temp could be a factor? I'm storing my bottles pretty warm @ 72F

I bottled my all grain Floppy Rooster APA about 5 days ago and it's got some great carbonation already too (OG=1.055 - FG=1.014) stored at 72F. Not as fast as my Irish Red did though but a smooth bubbly mouthfeel nonetheless. I guess that could be one of the benefits of bottling right from the primary that's been sitting for more than 3 weeks @ 59F. It took me 10 years to finally get this stuff right?! SHEEESH!

:cheers:
Next

Return to All Grain Brewing