– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Goose Island - Bourbon County Stout

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Waylit

Master Brewer

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:33 pm

Goose Island - Bourbon County Stout

2008 Bourbon County Stout is aged 10 months in 17 year old Heaven Hill bourbon barrels. The beer is full of wonderful flavors like bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate, prunes, caramel, tobacco and 13% clean burning ethanol !

http://southbaydrugsandliquor.googlepag ... ;init:.jpg
<<

Stoli

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:01 am

Picked up a 4 pack of this - $20.

Very interesting, but right now - overwhelming bourbon. There's hints of everything mentioned but it's masked with the bourbon. Or maybe that's the Beam and cola I had earlier. ;) There's still some of the bourbon in from the nose with a bunch of chocolate.

Drank one, the other three are headed for the basement, give them some time to mellow a bit more - see ya at the first snowfall of 2009! May even pick up some more - I got a feeling this will be amazing with time. :)
Stoli

"The more storms one rides out in life, the better Captain one becomes of one's soul." - Kinky Friedman
<<

Fweezle

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:31 am

One of my local pubs was "rewarded" for selling alot of Goose Island so they were able to get a keg of this. It's heavenly on draft and I want to get some bottles to age. One of my favorite beers by far.
Primary -
Secondary -
Conditioning - Vanilla Peat Smoked Bourbon Porter
Next Brew - IPA, Mead
<<

Karl750

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:15 am

I have a few 4-packs from 2007 and just recently picked up a 2008 4-pack last month. This beer is awesome. I can't find the link, but Michael Jackson rated this one of the top 50 beers in the world a few years back.
Drinking: Barley wine, Duvel Clone (2nd round 2011 NHC), Belgian Blond, Robust Porter (2nd round 2011 NHC), Tripel, Special Bitter (2nd round 2011 NHC), Oktoberfest (2nd round 2011 NHC), Saison

Lagering: Paulaner Oktoberfest Clone
<<

tankdeer

Master Brewer

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:15 am

I saw this the other day but damn it was expensive. That being said, I've heard nothing but good reviews so I guess I should go back and pick some up.
No beer and no TV make Homer something something...
<<

diesel gopher

Master Brewer

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Just snagged a 4 pk this afternoon, then when I put it in the cellar, I found that I never tried the 2007 yet, may have to get into a little comparison of a bottle of each this weekend.

Matt
<<

Waylit

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:37 am

tankdeer wrote:I saw this the other day but damn it was expensive.

Around here it's $5.00 a bottle (12oz)
IMO, it's a worth while investment.
About the same price as Abyss.
<<

thejerm

Post Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:22 am

this is bit off topic but, is this the only way to make a bourbon stout, by putting it in bourbon barrels? or is there a way to add bourbon to a batch or something along those lines? I'm starting the irish stout later today, just curious if anyone has ever done anything interesting with this recipe?

take care , have a great thanksgiving

jerm
<<

Karl750

Master Brewer

Post Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:26 am

thejerm wrote:this is bit off topic but, is this the only way to make a bourbon stout, by putting it in bourbon barrels? or is there a way to add bourbon to a batch or something along those lines? I'm starting the irish stout later today, just curious if anyone has ever done anything interesting with this recipe?

jerm

I have an imperial porter right now in the secondary with some bourbon-soaked french oak chips. I've been testing it every 3 days to see its progress and it's fantastic. I posted the below quote in a sort-of related topic. This method for me is yielding excellent results.

From my experience, 2 ounces of oak chips into 5 gallons for 10 days was too much oak for me. So as far as the oak is concerned, I am using 1 ounce and tasting it after 1 week, then again at 10 days, then again at 14 days, and so on. I'm planning on somewhere between 1-2 weeks.

As far as the bourbon is concerned, I soaked my chips in bourbon until the chips were saturated. This only took a few days. I then dried the chips, soaked again and then dried them. I then cooked them in Bourbon in a skillet on low heat until the bourbon was nearly evaporated. I dried the chips and repeated the skillet step. After the second skillet step, I dried them slightly and threw them in the fermenter. From my experience, soaking the chips in bourbon and throwing them in the fermenter does not yield an authentic bourbon barrel taste. My tastes are based on the wood and barrel aged beer festival held 3 weeks ago in Chicago (http://www.illinoisbeer.com/) that I went to. The best beers at the show tasted less of actual bourbon and more of the flavors that flavor bourbon, if that makes sense.

Ultimately it’s about your own tastes and frame of reference, but this is my .02.
Drinking: Barley wine, Duvel Clone (2nd round 2011 NHC), Belgian Blond, Robust Porter (2nd round 2011 NHC), Tripel, Special Bitter (2nd round 2011 NHC), Oktoberfest (2nd round 2011 NHC), Saison

<<

tankdeer

Master Brewer

Post Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:19 pm

thejerm wrote:this is bit off topic but, is this the only way to make a bourbon stout, by putting it in bourbon barrels? or is there a way to add bourbon to a batch or something along those lines? I'm starting the irish stout later today, just curious if anyone has ever done anything interesting with this recipe?

jerm

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=22693

There is a recipe in there somwhere. I've brewed this beer several times and it's amazing.
<<

tankdeer

Master Brewer

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:29 am

Re: Goose Island - Bourbon County Stout

Well, finally had one of these over the weekend. Wow, what a fantastic beer. It's REALLY bourbony, but somehow still feels balanced. And really drinkable for 13%.
<<

OldeEnglish800

Master Brewer

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:05 am

You can add bourbon and oak chips to any beer to give it the bourbon barrel experience. I actually posted a thread in the main section about bottling a beer that would be this big as the alcohol will tend to kill off the yeast. It's on page 1 now titled something like, "bottle conditioning high ABV beers"...check it out for some helpful pointers if you're looking to bottle a beer you bourboned up.

p.s. - I don't know if "bourboned" is really a word, but it sounds good and you know what I mean.
<<

paulg

Brewer

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:11 pm

I bought a 4 pack for only 9.49 I wish I would have bought a couple. They are out now and he said he cant get anymore.
primary- bayou IPA

botteld- a belgian dubbel, hard apple cidar, raspberry melomel, sweet mead, simco IPA
<<

Karl750

Master Brewer

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:31 am

OldeEnglish800 wrote:You can add bourbon and oak chips to any beer to give it the bourbon barrel experience. I actually posted a thread in the main section about bottling a beer that would be this big as the alcohol will tend to kill off the yeast. It's on page 1 now titled something like, "bottle conditioning high ABV beers"...check it out for some helpful pointers if you're looking to bottle a beer you bourboned up.

p.s. - I don't know if "bourboned" is really a word, but it sounds good and you know what I mean.

You mentioned in your other post that you picked up some of this beer. Taste this beer and then see if 'bourbonizing' a beer gives you that authentic bourbon barrel taste. From my experience, it doesn't come close.

<<

pashusa

Master Brewer

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:37 pm

We still have some 2008 at the Hy Vee Liquor Store here in Austin MN.
Ive got the 3 left of the 4 I bought. Seeing if age will tame the beast. Try one next year and one the year later etc...
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart
Next

Return to Commercial Beer Reviews