Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

How to double a wine recipe?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

theretrofit

Post Wed May 26, 2010 9:05 am

How to double a wine recipe?

I'm new to wine making and new to this forum. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Most if not all recipes I have found are for single one gallon batches. How can I double a recipe? Below is one I found for plum wine that I want to double. How do I it? Thanks again for the help!

-------------

Versatile Plum Wine Recipe
(per gallon recipe, adjust as needed)

You can use these recipes for any plum-type fruit -- home grown or store bought; Italian, Damson, Yellow, Greenage, or any sweet plum. With wild plums, which are generally high in acid, use acid tester or cut down to 3 lbs. per gallon.

4 lb Plums, pitted
6 pts Water
2 lb Sugar
1/2 tsp Acid Blend
1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp Nutrient
1 Campden, crush
1 pkg Wine yeast

Wash, drain and remove stones. Chop into smaller pieces.
Put in nylon straining bag, crush and squeeze juice into primary
fermentor. Keeping pulp in bag, tie top, and place in primary.
Stir in all other ingredients EXCEPT yeast. Cover primary.
After 24 hrs., add yeast and cover primary.
Stir daily, check Specific Gravity, and press pulp lightly to aid extraction.
When ferment reaches S.G. 1.040 (3-5 days) squeeze juice lightly from bag.
Siphon wine off sediment into glass secondary and attach air lock.
When fermenting is complete (S.G. has dropped to 1.000 -- about 3 weeks) siphon off sediment into clean secondary and reattach air lock.
To aid clearing siphon again in 2 months and again if necessary before bottling.

To sweeten wine, at bottling add 2 tsp. stabilizer, then stir in 1/4 to 1/2 lb. dissolved sugar per gallon.
<<

cmorse

Apprentice Brewer

Post Wed May 26, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: How to double a wine recipe?

Double all the ingredients except the yeast. Also don't double the times or S.G. readings.
<<

Baratone Brewer

Master Brewer

Post Wed May 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Most wine recipes will be for one gallon. You just figure out how many gallons you would like to make and mutiply all the ingredients by that amount. Except the yeast, I use one pack per 5 gallons. For this recipe I would recommend RED STAR Cotes Des Blancs. If you ferment @ the low end of this yeasts tolerance, it will leave residual sugars in the wine and finish sweeter. Great for fruit wines that you want sweet. It does have a low Alcohol tolerance though. And ferments slow and foamy.
<<

theretrofit

Post Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:57 am

Okay guys wine is just about finished. I tasted it and it seems bland. I was wanting to add flavor to it but don't want to use the concentrated syrups. When and what would I add? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
<<

Baratone Brewer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:08 pm

What are you considering finished? Finished fermenting, clearing, or aging? What type of wine are we talking about? How much acid blend was used?
It might just be an acid adjustment that is needed. Not enough acid in wine can make it taste bland and lifeless.
<<

cmorse

Apprentice Brewer

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:12 am

did you taste the plums before you started. You can buy some pretty bland plums in the super market. If the acid suggestion doesn't work and you really want to up the flavor I'd add a frozen juice concentrate. Otherwise there is always letting it age a while and seeing how it is then.
<<

rebuiltcellars

Master Brewer

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:35 am

I agree with both the above posters. Too little acid or unripe, bland supermarket fruit are the likely culprits. If you don't have an acid test kit, you could try putting a couple ounces of wine in a glass, and add a pinch of acid blend to it (stir well) and see if the taste improves. If not, take a look at plum concentrates.

In my experience, wine from fresh plums will not be done in August if started in May. Completely fermented, yes. Fully cleared, maybe. Mature and ready to drink, definately not. That will take a lot more time. I'm now just about ready to bottle a plum wine I started last August.
A clever/funny quote goes here.

Primary: Beer, wine or empty
Secondary: Beer, wine or empty
Bottled/Kegged: Beer, wine or empty
<<

theretrofit

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm new and impatient. Probably two of the worst things a home brewer can posses. :) So don't be afraid to tell me what I need to hear. I appreciate the help.

It has finished fermenting and clearing. It definitely has not aged. So I probably need to give it some more time. The plums... Not store bought. They were homegrown here in Texas. I did taste them before I put them into the fermentor and I was not impressed. I have had better plums at the grocery store, however I continued to move forward with it because part of this batch of wine is going to the person who supplied the plums to me.

Its been approximately 3 months. I racked it based of a recommendation last week because I noticed that it was smelling like the rubber stopper I used or what some refer to as a "band aid" smell. The carboy i racked it into is not using the same rubber stopper as i was using before. I hope the smell goes away.

If I was to add the acid blend (after i sample) to 3 gallons, how much would i use?

If I add concentrate, how much do I use on 3 gallons and when would I add it? I cant find plum concentrate at the store but I was thinking of using white grape concentrate.

Thanks again for the help. I really want this wine to turn out well for the friend who supplied the plums.
<<

Baratone Brewer

Master Brewer

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Still not sure what your original additions were. But, the appropriate original addition of Acid Blend to a Plum Wine should have been 1/2tsp per gallon. Acid tests can tell you where you are and you could go from there, or if you didn't add the original 1/2tsp per gallon, I would for sure add that.
<<

cmorse

Apprentice Brewer

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:13 pm

Unless you want to make it sweeter too I'd add it now and let it ferment out some more. Adding to taste would be the way to go but I'd guess either two or three cans would be to go. Almost every recipe in my book recomends adding one can of concentrate per gallon of fruit wine. Without tasting it I'd say add one can of white grape and one can of apple cherry then another white grape later if that doesn't do it.

Return to Winemaking