Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Can my wine be saved???

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

scottdog

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:31 pm

Can my wine be saved???

While making several batches of wine i mistakinly added one step sanitizer to one of my fermenters, unfortunately i wasnt wearing my glasses and grabbed the wrong bag instead of my acid blend. can this be saved ??? i believe the must went to the alkaline side of the scale as my litmus didnt even change when testing. i am wondering if i can add additional acid blend to counteract the effect of the one-step sanitizer or is the whole batch lost?? everything i have read about one-step says it creats hydrogen peroxide and other inert things ??? HELP PLEASE
AND THANK YOU[/b]
<<

homebrw311

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:04 pm

Re: Can my wine be saved???

scottdog wrote:While making several batches of wine i mistakinly added one step sanitizer to one of my fermenters, unfortunately i wasnt wearing my glasses and grabbed the wrong bag instead of my acid blend. can this be saved ??? i believe the must went to the alkaline side of the scale as my litmus didnt even change when testing. i am wondering if i can add additional acid blend to counteract the effect of the one-step sanitizer or is the whole batch lost?? everything i have read about one-step says it creats hydrogen peroxide and other inert things ??? HELP PLEASE
AND THANK YOU[/b]

How much did you add?

The manufacturer claims that One-Step is completely non-toxic, but I can't imagine that any wine would be improved by adding it. This may end up being a dumper batch, but I would give it a little time (and a splash racking or two) and see what it tastes like.

Eric
<<

scottdog

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:12 pm

one step added by mistake

i added about 1/2 to 3/4 of a bag of one-step. i knew from another batch that i made acid adjustments to just minutes before that i needed to add that much acid blend to start acid adjustment. i just grabbed the wrong bag. thanks scottdog

ps. i may try adding acid and see what happens before i dump the batch out im just afraid i may need a massive acid dose to counteract it
<<

twoodward15

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:06 am

I'm not going to say which winery I was at this past sunday that had a wine festival, but their pinot grigio tasted exactly the same as sanitizer.......and there were quite a few people that I didn't know that said the exact same thing. Not to mention the "burnt grilled cheese" chardonnay.
"only people from north jersey think that "central jersey" is a real thing"
<<

Curt

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:22 am

Just a guess here but.....I don't think you want to drink OneStep, no matter how far down the line that would be.
what's brewing; 9gal fresh pear 5gal rasp jello 5gal. choke 12gal. mixed apple 6gal. wild grape 3gal. elderberry 6gal. amarone 6gal. sauv blanc 4gal. blueberry 2nds
<<

finburger

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:27 pm

1/2 - 3/4 of a bag? How big of a bag was this? I buy mine in 8 oz bags and would never add that much acid blend to any wine.

One step is supposed to be hydrogen-peroxide.
<<

talkingseagull

Master Brewer

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:37 am

I am assuming it was one of those little bags...? One-Step is sodium percarbonate and sodium silicate. It becomes
hydrogen peroxide when mixed with water.
I love the smell of Star San in the morning.

Drinkin' - Copper Hopper, Maris Otter IPA, 1111 IPA, Cab, Chardonnay, Amarone.
Carboy (and blowin' hard!) - Denny's Rye IPA

Return to Winemaking