– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Re-using oak chips

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Roddy

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:56 pm

Re-using oak chips

How many of you reuse oak cubes? How many times can they be re-used?
I have an ounce I just took out of an bourbon barrel porter that was in the keg for a year. Smells of heavy bourbon at this time and I am wondering if I can use them in my double IPA.
Do they need to be dried in an oven, or can I let them dry on the counter and put them in a ziploc bag until needed.
Last edited by Roddy on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primary: Lefse Blonde, Pale Citra Ale
Kegged: Lord Fat bottom, Bourbon Vanila Porter,Black IPA
Secondary: Surly Darkness Clone
<<

ynotbrusum

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Re: Re-using oak chips

I think you are risking a contamination by drying them out, but if you put them in vodka or another alcohol for a while, they should be relatively sanitized and I don't see why you couldn't use them...I would really soak them in the booze for a while to be safe.

:cheers:
Hodge Garage Brewing - "Brew with a Glad Heart"
<<

The Professor

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:51 pm

ynotbrusum wrote:I think you are risking a contamination by drying them out, but if you put them in vodka or another alcohol for a while, they should be relatively sanitized and I don't see why you couldn't use them...I would really soak them in the booze for a while to be safe.

:cheers:

Drying them out in an oven shouldn't increase the contamination risk. If anything, I think it would minimize the risk.

If you opt to just soak them in booze, soak them in Everclear. That stuff will kill anything.
"How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?"
<<

tom sawyer

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 pm

After six weeks they've mostly given up their flavor. They aren't that expensive, I would use less per batch, leave them in a few weeks and then pitch them.
Lennie

Brewing: Lambics (always), dopplebock
<<

Roddy

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:10 pm

tom sawyer wrote:After six weeks they've mostly given up their flavor. They aren't that expensive, I would use less per batch, leave them in a few weeks and then pitch them.

Interesting. I thought NB told me they should never loose their oak flavoring. I do have an extra back. Any suggestions on an amount to add to a double ipa if I want a hint of oak flavoring?
Primary: Lefse Blonde, Pale Citra Ale
Kegged: Lord Fat bottom, Bourbon Vanila Porter,Black IPA
Secondary: Surly Darkness Clone
<<

tom sawyer

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:28 pm

They definitely lose their flavors over time. Just like wine barrels after a couple of years of use the barrel is considered "neutral", meaning it doesn't contribute any oak flavor to the wine. If you scrape down to new wood (1/8") you can get some more flavor, and recopping barrels is done. Not sure its worth scraping the cubes.

I don't know, maybe 1/2oz to 1oz. You can always add some and then tate after a week or two, and rack when its done or leave them longer or add more.

I do save my oak cubes from winemaking, and use them to smoke meats.
Lennie

Brewing: Lambics (always), dopplebock

Return to Northern Brewer General