adding honey or DME to Tonguesplitter IPA

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

newbrewermel

Master Brewer

Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:13 pm

adding honey or DME to Tonguesplitter IPA

Hi All
so far I have made 5 extract kits batches, drinking batch #2 now, Tonguesplitter.
I really like IPAs, and would like to make this again.
I am very very happy with this beer.
I did 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary with dry hops for 9 days and 2 weeks bottled.
I followed the recipe exactly the first time, but this time would like to get the ABV up a little and maybe a bit hoppier.
I read in the NB reviews that someone added 1# DME to increase ABV, another added it for more body.
My question is:
1. If I add 1# DME for higher ABV and more body, then would I expect higher OG? like what?
2. and then, do I need to add more yeast? I used a Wyeast 1332 first time, but now am switching over to dry yeast, would 1 package of Safale S-33 be enough?
3. and how to make just a little bit hoppier? This kit uses almost 5 oz hops already, it that a lot?
4. OR, should I try another IPA (I am making Chinook IPA now) and haven't ventured on to OG over 1060 yet. (I am getting a yeast starter kit for xmas)

any thoughts would be appreciated!
happy holidays all.
Primary: Pliny clone
Secondary:
Bottled: SMASH (Simcoe/2-row/1007), Amber, Lucid BIPA
Next: Apricot wheat
<<

vpsihop1

Master Brewer

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:49 am

Re: adding honey or DME to Tonguesplitter IPA

1) it all depends on the size of the batch. For 5 gallons 1# of DME will add about 9 points to your OG, LME will add about 6, honey about 7. i figured that all out with this http://hopville.com/

2) id use one package of SO5

3) to make it hoppier add another oz of Cascade at the 10 minute mark

4) a beer around 1.060 is no big deal if you have dry yeast available, a couple packages of liquid yeast, or a starter. either of those choices will ferment the beer well. for the most part i use SO5 at 62F on my American IPAs because i like the malt and hops to shine.
Austria.

AUSTRIA!! well then, G'DAY MATE!!
<<

newbrewermel

Master Brewer

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:32 am

thanks for all the info,
I am learning so much from all you guys!
Secondary:
<<

newbrewermel

Master Brewer

Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:08 am

vpsihop1 wrote:1) it all depends on the size of the batch. For 5 gallons 1# of DME will add about 9 points to your OG, LME will add about 6, honey about 7. i figured that all out with this http://hopville.com/

2) id use one package of SO5

3) to make it hoppier add another oz of Cascade at the 10 minute mark

4) a beer around 1.060 is no big deal if you have dry yeast available, a couple packages of liquid yeast, or a starter. either of those choices will ferment the beer well. for the most part i use SO5 at 62F on my American IPAs because i like the malt and hops to shine.

when would I add the DME? When I add the malt syrup before boiling for 60 min?
Secondary:
<<

vpsihop1

Master Brewer

Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:50 pm

i assume your doing extract with grain kits. some people add half the DME in the beginning and the other half in the last 15 minutes. this helps keep the color of the beer lighter. when i was doing extract i would usually just add all the DME at the begging and let it boil for the 60 minutes. either way will work fine.

if you are boiling your wort on a stovetop in your house in a small pot, then doing the half and half method will really help with hop utilization. utilization of hops decreases as the concentration of sugars in the wort increase.
Austria.

AUSTRIA!! well then, G'DAY MATE!!

Return to Northern Brewer General