– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Full Boil Extract brewing????

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

irod

Brewer

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Full Boil Extract brewing????

Curious.....I'm guessing this is certainly possible, but I haven't seen recipes that say to do this. It's always about adding water into the primary to makeup the difference up to 5 gallons.

I figured I would steep grains in 3 gallons water, then add enough water to end up with about 5.5 gallons.

I usually add most of the extract at 15 minutes before flameout.

Any issues with doing this?

Thanks
Irod
<<

SenorPantalones

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: Full Boil Extract brewing????

Some people prefer to boil that way. If you're going to do a full volume boil, there is no need to do a late extract addition. You can add all the extract at the beginning. The reason people started doing the late addition was to mimic a full volume boil. Other than that, the only thing to be aware of is that chilling will probably take a bit longer.
<<

gregscsu

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:35 pm

Full boils are a great way to take your brewing to the next step.

Couple things to follow though.

When steeping your specialty grains steep them at aratio of 1lb per gallon. Having to high of a water to grain ratio can cause allow the water PH to become to high and extract tannins from the speacilty grains.

Also you will need to try and predict your boil off rate. I would start at 1 gallon per hour and adjust from there.

Finally, you will need a way to cool 5 gallons of boiling wort. ie. Imersion chiller

People using full boils will sometimes use the late extract edition to help keep the SRM a little lower.
Primary: Devil's Sin Amber IPA
Secondary: BVIP
Keg: Black & Mild
Cask: Milk Stout
<<

irod

Brewer

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:07 pm

Thanks for the info.

:cheers:
Irod
<<

Tom_B

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:19 pm

I've been doing a full volume boil for extract recipes since getting my 8 gallon brewpot a few months ago. :lol:
Something to keep in mind is the heat and humidity where you're brewing. I've overshot the 5-gal batch target volume the past couple of batches due to very high summer humidity (working in the garage) resulting in much less water loss than expected after low humidity winter batches that required 6-6.5 gallons at the start. Next batch will be only 5.5 gallons initially with an unopened gallon of store-bought spring water in reserve to bring the final volume back up to 5 gallons before cooling and transferring to the fermenter.
On deck: Saison Indochine
Primariy : Belladonna Took's Oaked Mild
Secondary: Hope and King Scottish Ale
Bottled: Belgian IPA, The Number Eight, Smack yo mama barleywine, Small batch rye porter
Kegged: water
<<

SenorPantalones

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:36 pm

gregscsu wrote:When steeping your specialty grains steep them at aratio of 1lb per gallon. Having to high of a water to grain ratio can cause allow the water PH to become to high and extract tannins from the speacilty grains.

Has that happened to you? I would be kind of surprised if you could extract noticeable tannins in a 20 - 30 minute steep.
<<

Bakerman

Brewer

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 am

I steep my gains in 5 gallons of water while heating to 170. That's also the size of my boil. I boil half of the extract for 45 minutes and the other half for the remaining 15 minutes.

I'm not getting any off flavors. I use 2 quart starter and ferment in a temp controlled freezer.

The Professor

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:54 am

gregscsu wrote:Full boils are a great way to take your brewing to the next step.

Definitely true.
After extract brewing the usual way for more than 13 years and being satisfied enough with the results, in the early/mid 1980's I started boiling the full volume and there was a definite and very noticeable improvement in the beers as a result.

Around the same time (but I can't remember if it was before or after) I also switched to liquid yeast. These two changes and the improved results that came with them definitely put me on a faster track at that point to switch to all-grain.
"How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?"
<<

Guitar Brew

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:29 am

Bakerman wrote:I'm not getting any off flavors.

You might be right, but "I don't detect any off flavors" might be the more correct way of saying this. The main one to look for is a cooked vegetable flavor when you are boiling half of the extract for only 15 minutes.
<<

Ken Lenard

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:33 pm

When I was an extract brewer, I realized that this may be THE best move you could make. My full-volume beers were much smoother and cleaner-tasting than my partial-volume boils. Also, to get around the pH issue when steeping, I have read that adding a small amount of whatever extract you're using can help. Adding maybe 1 pound of LME or DME can lower the pH while steeping. Cheers.
Recipes, Kegging Info, General Brewing Info, Beer Galleries, Lager Help and more at Mayfair Court Brewhouse
<<

Bakerman

Brewer

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Guitar Brew wrote:
Bakerman wrote:I'm not getting any off flavors.

You might be right, but "I don't detect any off flavors" might be the more correct way of saying this. The main one to look for is a cooked vegetable flavor when you are boiling half of the extract for only 15 minutes.

I think that would apply more to all-grain since extract is already cooked. Even an Oct 2006 article in BYO by Chris Colby on Partial Mash states:

"Make sure the late extract is heated or steeps in hot wort for 15 minutes to sanitize it, but don’t boil, heat or steep it for longer than that".

But I do boil mine for 15 minutes if I'm doing extract with grains or partial mash.

http://www.byo.com/stories/article/indi ... al-mashing

kingcrawdaddy

Brewer

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:41 pm

The big difference I've noticed is my hop utilization is much higher.
Head Cheese IS food!

Primary: Vanilla Java Porter clone
Secondary: None
Conditioning: None
Ready:
On Deck: Black IPA
<<

gregscsu

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:57 pm

SenorPantalones wrote:
gregscsu wrote:When steeping your specialty grains steep them at aratio of 1lb per gallon. Having to high of a water to grain ratio can cause allow the water PH to become to high and extract tannins from the speacilty grains.

Has that happened to you? I would be kind of surprised if you could extract noticeable tannins in a 20 - 30 minute steep.

I had issues with tannins in two seperate batches some time ago. I was steeping in 4 gallons of water, and this seemed like it could have been the issue, but I also checked my thermometer at this time. Guess what it was the thermometer. Dial thermometer read correct at 32*F and 212*F, but was off by 10*F in the 140 to 180 range.

Long story short, I fixed both issues and neveer had that problem again.
Primary: Devil's Sin Amber IPA
Secondary: BVIP
Keg: Black & Mild
Cask: Milk Stout

Return to Northern Brewer General