– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

SS Stock Pot -> Mash Tun Conversion help

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

acsempronio

Master Brewer

Post Wed May 05, 2010 11:29 am

SS Stock Pot -> Mash Tun Conversion help

1. I want to start doing some 3 gallon batches to experiment with American Wheat recipes.
2. I have a 10 gallon MLT cooler but I feel this is too large for a 6 lb. grain bill (not enough bed depth)
3. I also have a 5 gallon SS stock pot that would be perfect for the volume of mash.

4. I want to convert this into a Mash Tun... simply and easily, well, as easily as possible. I would like to avoid welding and soldering if at all possible.

5. My initial planning involves using the same Brass fittings (with a shorter nipple) from my cooler, on the stock pot. I realize this involves drilling a hole in the bottom. I want to use the same SS braid I use as well.

6. I have taken into account the curvature of the pot, which is why I'm asking for assistance.

7. If welding is involved, I do have access to MIG equipment. If soldering is involved, I can do that my self (though I would rather not.)

Q: Is there a weldless/solderless method for this?
Q: If so, what's the best course of action?
Q: prempting the questions above, would rubber gaskets/washers be sufficient to hold a seal, or would their flat nature not fit well with the round pot walls.

I appreciate any input.
Pumpkin Ale in Secondary...
<<

bo_gator

Master Brewer

Post Wed May 05, 2010 11:34 am

Re: SS Stock Pot -> Mash Tun Conversion help

You can order the weldless conversion kit from NB and drill a hole and screw a Bazooka screen into it and you are ready to mash
Critical thinking is our other national deficit

Usually in error, but always sounding like I know what I am talking about :cheers:
<<

bo_gator

Master Brewer

Post Wed May 05, 2010 11:36 am

Critical thinking is our other national deficit

Usually in error, but always sounding like I know what I am talking about :cheers:
<<

acsempronio

Master Brewer

Post Wed May 05, 2010 11:42 am

So, then, it would seem that my brass fitting would work too; however, do I even need to take the curvature of the pot into account?

And at $36 it's better to buy a $22 coleman 5 gallon cooler. I can get the brass parts for less than either of those.
<<

yugamrap

Master Brewer

Post Wed May 05, 2010 1:23 pm

I've used a 5-gallon stock as an MLT for small batches without any modification to the pot. I put a stainless vegetable steamer in the bottom - it lays almost flat - to serve as a sort of false bottom in case I need to add heat during the mash. Then, I line the pot with a nylon 5-gallon paint strainer bag from Home Depot. I preheat the strike water right in the kettle, then add the grain to the water and stir, being careful not to tangle up the nylon bag. Once the grain is stirred in and at the right temperature, I put on the lid and wrap the kettle in a blanket.

While the mash is doing its thing, I heat up the sparge water in a second kettle. When it's time to sparge, I lift the bag up above the mash kettle, and pour or ladle the sparge water over it. Then, I remove the grain bag and vegetable steamer, and boil right in the same kettle. You'll lose some efficiency this way, but it's pretty easy and I was able to do it on my kitchen stove. You can also do a no-sparge mash this way by adding all of the water right from the start (if your kettle will accommodate the volume). Or, you could siphon the wort out from beneath the strainer if you'd prefer to boil in a different vessel.
...it's liquid bread - it's good for you!

www.beersnobs.org
<<

acsempronio

Master Brewer

Post Wed May 05, 2010 6:51 pm

Because the cost ends up the same, I went with a 5 gallon coleman cooler and I don't have to lose a pot.

Return to Northern Brewer General