– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Brass question

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

RiverStreet

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:30 pm

Brass question

I was just reading about kegging and it said no brass fittings should be used. Beer reacts to contact with brass. The ball valve on my mash tun is brass. Is that bad?
<<

Legman

Site Moderator

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Brass question

RiverStreet wrote:I was just reading about kegging and it said no brass fittings should be used. Beer reacts to contact with brass. The ball valve on my mash tun is brass. Is that bad?

Depends on who you talk to.
I use 'em and I'm not going to worry about it.
Your friendly neighborhood moderator.
<<

hamiltont

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Brass, according to many brewers, should be pickled. Here's a link from Palmer's that explains the pickling process... http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!
<<

RiverStreet

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Would anything happen to the brass inside over time? Before I brew all I do is run some hot water thru the valve. Nothing more. Could it corrode?(Sp?) I read u can get a chemical taste from it. I've brewed AG for two years. Never had any problems the first year but we had a lot of off flavors during the second year. Wondering if the valve is a possibility. Have never "pickled" it either.
<<

beerider

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Brass oxides over like an alum pot and becomes inert unless you clean it...
I found spiders when I took apart my valve the first time...
<<

narcout

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:15 pm

RiverStreet wrote:I was just reading about kegging and it said no brass fittings should be used. Beer reacts to contact with brass. The ball valve on my mash tun is brass. Is that bad?

I think the key word here is kegging. When I was putting together my kegerator, I read that using chromed brass in a kegging setup was not a good idea because prolonged contact with acidic beer would eventually dissolve the chrome and the beer would then pick up off flavors from the brass.

That's a different application than having a brass ball valve on your mashtun.
<<

azeeb

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:03 pm

Finished beer pH is in the low 4's vs. the mash pH which is in the low 5's. On the pH scale this one point difference actually means finished beer is about 10 times more acidic. This is why many people feel it is OK to use brass in the mash tun and kettle, but not on kegs.
-Adam
<<

pashusa

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:14 pm

The product coming out of your mashtun is wort. It is not beer until it is fermented. Just make sure it is clean. It will not hurt your wort.
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart
<<

MedicineMan

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Brass plumbing contains lead which makes it easier to machine. This is why it should be pickled, the lead on the surface is dissolved. Many homebrewers don't seem to care about food and/or beer grade equipment so do your own research.
Drink beer. Not too much. Mostly homebrew.
<<

scrap iron

Master Brewer

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:06 am

I have a brass 1/2'' barb on my boil keggle that has been pickled,never had problems.About two years ago I switched over my first taps,chrome coated brass,the standard cheap ones,with SS shanks & Perlick taps.I could taste the difference the first pint,the old taps had a slight metallic flavor.So I would say,no brass touching beer! Also forward sealing taps rule!
"Milk is for babies, when you grow up you have to drink beer." Arnold Scharzenegger
"I am what I am and thats all that I am." Popeye the sailor
<<

ryan6458

Master Brewer

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:29 am

scrap iron wrote:I have a brass 1/2'' barb on my boil keggle that has been pickled,never had problems.About two years ago I switched over my first taps,chrome coated brass,the standard cheap ones,with SS shanks & Perlick taps.I could taste the difference the first pint,the old taps had a slight metallic flavor.So I would say,no brass touching beer! Also forward sealing taps rule!

+1. When I looked inside my chrome plated brass shank, there was no chrome left. All that chrome couldn't have been healthy! :shock:
Compare your lives to mine and then kill yourselves! -Bender

Return to Northern Brewer General