Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

how do i add coffee and oats during the boil?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

jagoff yinzer

Master Brewer

Post Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:49 am

how do i add coffee and oats during the boil?

okay i am making a founder's breakfast stout clone. i found a great recipe from brew your own here http://www.byo.com/stories/issue/articl ... tout-clone

it calls for the coffee to be added at the end of the boil. how should i add this? just the beans? crack the beans? grind them? how long until the end of the boil? the last ten minutes would be good?

as for the oats do i steep them with the grain or what?

thanks in advance.
<<

vpsihop1

Master Brewer

Post Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:36 am

Re: how do i add coffee and oats during the boil?

yeah jsut steep the oats and add the coffee and chocolate at flameout.
Austria.

AUSTRIA!! well then, G'DAY MATE!!
<<

Denny

Master Brewer

Post Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:39 am

Actually, the oats should be mashed with some pale malt.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is.

www.dennybrew.com
<<

vpsihop1

Master Brewer

Post Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:56 am

Denny wrote:Actually, the oats should be mashed with some pale malt.

i agree denny but alot of kits come with flaked oats. whats up with that? our host has one and LHBS does to.
Austria.

AUSTRIA!! well then, G'DAY MATE!!
<<

Denny

Master Brewer

Post Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:21 pm

I think it's because so many people have gotten away with it for so long. It's not the best brewing practice, but like many things, you can do it and hope for the best.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is.

www.dennybrew.com
<<

acsempronio

Master Brewer

Post Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:28 pm

Denny wrote:I think it's because so many people have gotten away with it for so long. It's not the best brewing practice, but like many things, you can do it and hope for the best.

+1

I will be doing my first all-grain next friday, so I have done nothing but steep oats when I use them. Since I don't have a reference for how mashed oats compare against steeped oats, I can't speak to it, but I feel as if steeping oats lends some less-than-savory aspects to the beer; some kind of bitter that bites at the finish.
Pumpkin Ale in Secondary...
<<

rohai

Apprentice Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:40 am

I'm pretty interested in trying this recipe this summer so I have a question about the oats. If steeping them is wrong, would it work ok to use the partial mash technique that our host recommends for their oatmeal stout partial mash kit? So you would take the specialty grains and oats, hold them at 154 degrees for one hour, then sparge them with 170 degree water.
Primary - empty
Secondary - Imperial Stout, Barley Wine, Patersbier
Bottled - St. Paul Porter, Twelfth Night Stout, Three Hearted Ale, Extra Pale Ale, Bourbon Barrel Porter
<<

shredd3r

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:00 am

The latest Issue of Zymurgy has a good article on different ways to infuse your brew with coffee. From the tone of the article, almost seemed like doing a cold press method was the best way.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/p ... rent-issue
Bottled:Yeti Oak/Vanilla Clone, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc, Late Harvest Riesling, Cabernet Sav
Kegged: Farm Fresh Cider, Waldo Lake Amber, Kiwi Express, Dundalk Irish Heavy, Oktoberfest.
Primary: Denny's Belgian Quad, Pilsner, Mead.
<<

pashusa

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:12 am

I would grind the coffee and make a very strong expresso type brew and add that.
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart
<<

beardog

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 am

I think most people here have the great success with cold steeping the coffee for a few days and adding it to the secondary, keg, or bottling bucket. Apparently its smoother. I've never tried it.
<<

The Professor

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:38 am

I agree with Denny on the oats...they need to be in the mash.

As far as the coffee goes, I'm inclined to think that steeping some grounds at flameout would be the way to go...definitely not in the boil. It's pretty well established that you shouldn't boil ground coffee (or even use fully boiling water to make drip coffee) since you'll extract a nasty, 'yakky' kind of bitterness...one of the reasons that percolated coffee generally sucks. You also might want to give some consideration to the variety of coffee and type of roast...the French roasts will contribute some mild burnt flavors, while a light roast or city roast will give you more character from the coffee variety itself.
Yemen Mocha has always been my favorite coffee variety (just to be clear, mocha has nothing to do with chocolate) because of it's richness...seems that it would be very nice in this type of beer.
"How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?"
<<

Thad Eggen

Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:12 am

I would NOT add coffee to boiling wort. Coffee when boiled releases bitter flavors, that is why perculators have gone the way of the dinosaur. My local brewery makes an incredible Coffee Porter, by way of adding cold brewed coffee, and surprisingly very little coffee to the batch.
<<

garagebrewin

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:47 am

I brewed this exact recipe per the instructions and it turned out great. I added the flaked oats to the mash, still gave it a nice creamy mouthfeel. I also added the first round of coffee (mine was ground) at the end of the boil with the chocolate (shred this up and it won't leave such a clumpy mess on your BK and IC when you are done). Then I added the final coffee (coarsley ground beans) to the secondary. There was no bitterness from the coffee. This beer turned out awesome! Had a few people comment that it was Founders Breakfast Stout or better. I'll be brewing it again in the near future. I may try the cold pressing of the coffee though. Just to see if there is any difference.
<<

rohai

Apprentice Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:57 pm

garagebrewin wrote:I brewed this exact recipe per the instructions and it turned out great.

You made the AG version?
Primary - empty
Secondary - Imperial Stout, Barley Wine, Patersbier
Bottled - St. Paul Porter, Twelfth Night Stout, Three Hearted Ale, Extra Pale Ale, Bourbon Barrel Porter
<<

garagebrewin

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Yep. Sorry! My bad. I forgot this was an extract recipe originally.

Return to Northern Brewer General