– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Large Scale Brewing Equipment

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

mr.steelhead

Master Brewer

Post Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:11 pm

I have a opportunity, how golden it is I am not sure yet.
My father in law has quit the dairy business and is now just raising corn.
He has offered to sell me his stainless milk vats, storage tanks, and equipment.
I have endless dizzt vision's thinking of the possibilities for the use of these majestic creatures for beer brewing, however am not sure of the use for beer as they have been used for raw milk.(would they sanitize enough for beer?)
It is and has been my dream to start a brewpub some day, and large scale is what I would need.He has it and can store it for me.
Any opinions out there?
Thanks in advance,
Gregg
<<

jbo_c

Post Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:30 pm

If he sanitized them regularly and well, which he must have if he was successfull in dairy, the equipment should be fine. He probably used caustic solution, a buffer, then a rinse.

You might take apart some of the valves and ask him to help you follow the same procedures in a little more detail for those particular pieces.

I wouldn't worry a bit over using the same equipment.

Consider yourself lucky and reap the rewards.

Jbo
<<

just-cj

Master Brewer

Post Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:43 pm

Lots of brewpubs started out with converted milk tanks, etc -- I'd say it's a great find! They will undoubtedly need to be taken apart and cleaned (caustic probably), and perhaps some valves will need to be replaced, but overall I wouldn't think you'd have any problems. Check out the Brewpub Magazine website (the mag is out of print, but the website was still up last time I checked) or BYO's website -- I'm sure you can get some info there.

Jealous in Japan,

Chris
<<

Brewer Tom

Master Brewer

Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 9:15 am

I would think they'd be fine, however, here is my suggestion. Call the health dept and ask them the question if you could use them in a brewery business.

The reason I say that is that, there are different degrees of SS welding and polishing done to equipment. My brother is a small % owner of a food business out west. They bought a machine from overseas that they couldn't use because of some wrong weld finishing. Supposedly it wasn't polished good enough and germs could get into the small scratches. Since milk is pastuerized after it leaves the farm, they could have a "lower quality weld". Don't know for a fact, just be safe and check it out. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
<<

TruthBrew

Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 11:12 am

Just ask James Page Brewery what their equipment is! it is converted milk equip. or at least that is what was told to me on a private tour by the guide.
<<

Sneezy

Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 2:21 pm

Ohhh, what a find. I dream of starting my own brew pub some day as well. I'm incredibly jealous.
<<

mr.steelhead

Master Brewer

Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:31 pm

Thanks for all the help guy's.
I have a ways to go before diving deep into the unknown world of starting a brew pub.
Still doing ALOT of research and trying to get more original recipes that friends and family will drool over.
I am going to get the equipment from him though. He is letting me work off most of it in trade for labor on his farm.
I will check with the local health department, but the wife checked with some brewers today and there are a few that use dairy equipment.
Very cool, one step forward.
Thanks again,
Gregg

Return to Northern Brewer General