– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

PBW Solution, Reuse?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

tom sawyer

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:09 am

PBW Solution, Reuse?

Can you reuse a solution of PBW like you can Starsan? Or is the stuff a peroxide and loses its power with time?
Lennie

Brewing: Lambics (always), dopplebock
<<

hamiltont

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:53 am

Re: PBW Solution, Reuse?

Don't really know. Never tried it. Cleaning & sanitation is at the top of my priority list so making up a fresh batch of PBW or Star San is just SOP. The potential savings is really not worth the risk to me. Just my 2-bits.
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!
<<

corkybstewart

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:01 am

I've never saved PBW for re-use, but I tend to let empty kegs sit around until I have at least 3 and a couple of fermenters to clean. Then I mix a batch in very hot water and use it to clean everything at once. I clean the fermenters first, then push the solution from keg to keg with CO2, letting it sit about 30 minutes in each keg. Rinse the same way with near boiling water and everything comes out spotless.
The worst day drinking beer is better than the best day working.
<<

taeagan

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:11 am

You can reuse it, though I'm not sure at what rate it loses its effectiveness. I've kept the leftover PBW after cleaning a keg and then soaked bottles in it to remove labels. I think you just have to consider how much grungy crap is in the PBW and decide whether or not you want to use it for the next thing that needs to be cleaned. For example, I wouldn't use the PBW that had dissolved label glue (or the PBW that has trub and hop bits from cleaning a kettle or fermenter) to clean a keg.
<<

Thirsty_Monk

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:00 am

I do reuse PBW till it is "dirty" with sediment.
Na Zdravie

On Tap:
Czech Dark Beer
Bohemian Pilsner

Lagering/Conditioning:
Bohemian Pilsner

In Fermenter:
Marzen
<<

Jims

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:41 am

I reuse PBW till it's filthy. It loses a little power after the first use because that first time there is some sort of gas release (like Oxyclean) once used up that is done. The stuff still works great after that, the cantact time goes up a bit. Still I have put NASTY PBW into a dirty fermenter. Set it away for two days and come back to a crystal clean fermenter (after rinsing with some fresh water).
<<

nyakavt

Master Brewer

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:29 am

PBW loses its "oxygen" cleaning capacity after about 24 hours. After that, it's all surfactants. Still pretty good at cleaning, but the contact time goes way up. As corky said, the best practice with PBW is to wait until you have several things to wash in one day and reuse it then.

As far as the star san comment, you can test the cleaning solution with cheap wine pH papers to see if you are below pH 3. If so, there's no reason to make a new star san solution, unless that makes you feel all happy inside, it's just as effective. Even the guys at 5-star chemicals tell you to reuse it, and they are trying to sell the stuff. Just mix with some RO water and it will last basically forever until it becomes contaminated with soil.
<<

taeagan

Master Brewer

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:29 am

My procedure with star san is to make up 5 gallons to sanitize a fermenter or keg and then save it to a bucket between uses. When I pour from the bucket back to the next keg or fermenter later on, I'll usually notice some sediment laying in the bottom quart or so. I stop pouring from the bucket when I see that, and that last quart gets dumped and the bucket gets rinsed. After repeated uses I slowly wind up with less star san back in the bucket. Once I get down to about two gallons or so I just make the decision to mix up a new batch. So five gallons of star san generally lasts me two or three months.
<<

cowstick

Master Brewer

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:37 am

Off Topic. Any one else have the milky film on any thing if you soak it in star san over night or how ever long. I dont like it. Its all filmy and slippery.
Im so metal I bleed mercury. \m/
Nordeast Brewers Alliance

Pri. Pacific Jade IPA
Sec. Barleywine
Bot. Belgian Dark Ale open fermented
Keg. Malty Pale Ale
On Deck.
<<

Thirsty_Monk

Master Brewer

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:12 pm

cowstick wrote:Off Topic. Any one else have the milky film on any thing if you soak it in star san over night or how ever long. I dont like it. Its all filmy and slippery.

Are you talking about PBW ao Star San. You need to rinse PBW with warm water. I do not get any slippery film from Star San.
Na Zdravie

On Tap:
Czech Dark Beer
Bohemian Pilsner

Lagering/Conditioning:
Bohemian Pilsner

In Fermenter:
Marzen
<<

jimcraig

Master Brewer

Location: Are you kidding? She's hot as hell! I'm just lookin' for a little slap n' pickle.

Post Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:34 am

cowstick wrote:Off Topic. Any one else have the milky film on any thing if you soak it in star san over night or how ever long. I dont like it. Its all filmy and slippery.
not if you use RO water.

and Star San keeps for months if made with RO water and you are picky about what you put in it. Its crazy to make a new batch every brew day, unless you are careless with the items that you put in your Star San bucket, I used to be.
Primary:
Kegged:
On Deck:

Return to Northern Brewer General