Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

New pro-distilling law proposed in ND

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

jdata

Master Brewer

Location: Hundreds of miles away from any brewery or brewpub. (Bismarck, ND)

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:19 pm

New pro-distilling law proposed in ND

http://www.grandforksherald.com/article ... ction=News

N.D. bill would let you make booze

Associated Press
Published Tuesday, January 13, 2009

BISMARCK — North Dakota law allows limited sales of locally produced beer and wine. A Minot legislator wants to give the same rights to people who want to make hard liquor.

Rep. Dan Ruby’s proposal establishes a new “farm distillery” license for North Dakotans who want to make whiskey, vodka or any other grain-based spirit.

The license holder would need to use a majority of North Dakota farm products to make and sell the liquor. He or she would not need to be based on a farm.

Ruby’s proposed law allows the liquor maker to give away free samples, host tasting events and ship up to 25,000 gallons annually to any person who is legally allowed to buy the beverages.

He says the liquor maker would have to go through a wholesaler to sell any products in a retail liquor store.
Bottled: American Pilsner, Altbier, Barleywine 2008
Fermenting: Northern Amber, Orange Blossom Mead, Barleywine 2009
On Deck: Prob'ly something wheaty
<<

igrowhops

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: New pro-distilling law proposed in ND

Interesting...ND of all places. The place where there are no breweries, you cant even buy regular old beer in the grocery store. Not to mention you cannot buy beer on a Sunday(I think)...yet people would be allowed to distill. The lack of quality beer makes me hate going to back to ND to visit the inlaws. A visit to the bar is even worse...Other than that there is nothing wrong with ND!
Fermenting-Gewurztraminer Raspberry mead, irish red
Tap-milk stout, pale ale
<<

steinbrau

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: New pro-distilling law proposed in ND

I love the idea but it seems that the more I read of distilling the more I read how likely you are to blow yourself up if you don't REALLY know what you're doing. I do approve the idea though. :mrgreen:
"He who dies with the most toys IS STILL DEAD!"

Return to Northern Brewer General