– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Fisher Bottles...can you reuse them?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

chopath

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:44 pm

Fisher Bottles...can you reuse them?

Anyone use Fisher flip-top bottles?

It does not appear that the gasket can be removed. Am I missing something or do you just clean and reuse it until it no longer seals correctly.

Please help. It would be a shame to lose all of these bottles I recently acquired.

Thanks,
Micki :?
<<

hlitton

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:54 pm

if you are referring to the 22oz Fischer bottles with the swing top lids, then yes they are reuseable. I have about 6 cases of them that I use for bottling. The rubber gasket can be removed and sanatized. If you need to replace the gaskets here they are...(the grolsch gaskets)
http://www.northernbrewer.com/bottling.html
Last edited by hlitton on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primary: Irish Blonde
On Deck: Ruination or Pliney the elder clone
<<

chopath

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:02 pm

Mine appear glued to the ceramic cap. Did yours start out this way or do I just need to pull harder?
<<

hlitton

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:04 pm

Sometimes they can get really stuck on the ceramic caps, but they are not glued to them. Try pulling harder. They shouldn't all be that hard to remove. Maybe try soaking them in some hot water then try pulling them off.
Primary: Irish Blonde
On Deck: Ruination or Pliney the elder clone
<<

UncleTom

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:07 pm

I too have several hundred flip-tops, most of them Fischer, and I have never had any problems with them. The glass is quite thick. You made a good score.
As for the gaskets, I have never seen nor heard of them being glued. Logically, that would reduce their effectiveness since it would make them less flexible. I think you just have some that were not cleaned and the residual sugar from the beer has solidified. My advice is to soak them in hot water to loosen them up. If any gaskets are stiff, hard, or have cracks then replace those. I have some gaskets that have been reused many, many times, but I replace them if anything looks or feels wrong. I always rinse them well every time I empty a bottle.
Incidentally, I don't remove them from the tops every cleaning, only if they look bad. I put the entire bottle in hot water and PBW to clean them, and I submerge them in mild bleach water to sanitize (and rinse well afterwards). I have never had any infections. However, your cleaning and sanitizing procedures may make removal a good idea.

Uncle
<<

Old Guy

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:58 pm

Fisher swings are good, I have used other brands too. I won't use Grolsh because of the green bottles, afraid of skunking.
<<

desertbronze

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:50 pm

Old Guy wrote:Fisher swings are good, I have used other brands too. I won't use Grolsh because of the green bottles, afraid of skunking.

Grolsch bottles work fine - I store all my bottled beer in boxes anyway - no danger of skunking them in the box.
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
<<

chopath

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:44 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am soaking one in hot water right now to see if that helps. I really hope I can get them off because there is a bar nearby that will give them to me!

Thanks to all again,
Micki

Return to Northern Brewer General