– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Oxyclean...cheaper sub

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

roguejim

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Oxyclean...cheaper sub

I tried a cheaper product today on my kegs that has the identical ingredients as Oxyclean. However, there is no sudsing action. Maybe a forum chemist can explain why two seemingly identical cleaning products behave differently. Is the lack of suds an issue?
Jim
<<

Grunt187

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:37 pm

Maybe the sudsing is from the Inactive ingredients.... Still waiting on the forum Chemists though.
On Tap: Empty
Primary: 10G SNPA
Bottled: Sake
<<

roguejim

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:47 pm

Only two ingredients were listed on each product. None were listed as "inactive."
Jim
<<

AllGrain

Brewer

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:40 pm

only important thing is: does it get the job done, to your satisfaction? if so, go w/ the cheaper product.

i think pbw is great...but expensive. i use oxyclean for most stuff. especially when i'm out of pbw and feeling too cheap to buy more.

:evil:
No diggity, yo.
<<

majorvices

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:46 pm

I use sun oxygen cleaner. Cheaper than oxy-clean. no sudsing. Works just as good. YMMV.
- Keith Y.
-------------------------
Ein Prosit, der gemutlichkeit!
<<

roguejim

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:22 pm

majorvices wrote:I use sun oxygen cleaner. Cheaper than oxy-clean. no sudsing. Works just as good. YMMV.

That's the stuff I bought. Glad it works!
Jim
<<

Dave R

Apprentice Brewer

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:15 am

+1 on the Sun cleaner. great stuff and a lot cheaper.
Relax, don't worry and have a homebrew!
<<

Intrinsic

Master Brewer

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:08 am

I make my own PBW. Sodium metasillicate is sold in hardware stores as TSP substitute. Mix it 2:1 with Sun Oxygen cleaner (Cheaper then Oxyclean) a ratio of 2 parts sodium metasilicate (TSP) to 1 part Sun Oxygen cleaner.
--Wes
Rocky Mountain Brewer
<<

Howie22

Master Brewer

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:24 am

Intrinsic wrote:I make my own PBW. Sodium metasillicate is sold in hardware stores as TSP substitute. Mix it 2:1 with Sun Oxygen cleaner (Cheaper then Oxyclean) a ratio of 2 parts sodium metasilicate (TSP) to 1 part Sun Oxygen cleaner.

the PBW msds says it"s only 30% sodium metasilicate. do you have your mix backwards?
"The sound of the weather is heaven's ragtime band." - Buffett
<<

majorvices

Master Brewer

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:34 am

Intrinsic wrote:I make my own PBW. Sodium metasillicate is sold in hardware stores as TSP substitute. Mix it 2:1 with Sun Oxygen cleaner (Cheaper then Oxyclean) a ratio of 2 parts sodium metasilicate (TSP) to 1 part Sun Oxygen cleaner.

Kinda makes you wonder why PBW is so expensive.
- Keith Y.
-------------------------
Ein Prosit, der gemutlichkeit!
<<

babalu87

Master Brewer

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:15 am

majorvices wrote:

From my work/play time in the marine industry I know that anything saying MARINE is automatically twice as much $$$$

Same can be said for BREWERY/BREWING $$$$
Jeff

On draught:Hallertau Ale, IIPA, Bitter, Stout
Primary: Hefeweizen, Berliner Weisse, Imperial Stout ,Apfelwine
<<

Howie22

Master Brewer

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:29 am

majorvices wrote:

Because they did the original research to figure out the precise blend that makes it work as well as it does.
"The sound of the weather is heaven's ragtime band." - Buffett
<<

Geronimo

Master Brewer

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:54 am

I use the TSP substitute and generic oxyclean at 50:50. The brand is TSP-PF and the active ingredient is listed as sodium sesquicarbonate. Do a google of sodium sesquicarbonate and you'll see it's listed as beer line cleaner. It's the only stuff I've seen that will take off beer stone just by soaking. It's like PBW+ at 1/3 the cost. I mixed these together 3 years ago and I still have almost half of it left.

-- Jim
home brewing in Minnesota
<<

dnb

Master Brewer

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:58 am

How much cleaner do you use per gallon of water? I bought some oxiclean and used half of a small tub to clean a half barrel... doesn't seem very inexpensive if you follow the instructions on the oxiclean tub. :?
majorvices wrote:First .... you have to start with a brain.
<<

Geronimo

Master Brewer

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:07 pm

The trick is to keep the concentration high but use as little water as possible. If you want to soak a large kettle full of water, you'll have to use quite a bit. For cleaning a 6.5 glass carboy, I just have 1-2 quarts of really hot water mixed with about 1 ounce of the cleaner and slosh it around aggressively. A quick touch with a bottle brush takes the krausen ring off and leaves the inside of the carboy spotless in less than 2 minutes.

Remember to rinse well when using these cleaners.
-- Jim
home brewing in Minnesota
Next

Return to Northern Brewer General