Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

pitched at 82 degrees!

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Lou

Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:52 pm

pitched at 82 degrees!

Brewing took me longer than normal and I HAD to go so I pitched before completely cooling the wort down. I'm wondering how badly this will affect my beer or if I can just stop worrying about it. I pitched White Labs Burton Ale Yeast (68-73 degrees) into an organic ESB, OG 1.070. When I got home eight hours later the temp. was down to 74, and cooled to 70 eight hours later when I woke up and fermentation was strong. Was this a FUBAR or will I be OK? :oops: I've never pitched outside the range before. Thanks so much in advance, LOU
<<

Backyard Brewer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:56 pm

I almost always pitch the yeast a little warm and have had no problems or off-flavors.

-Derrin
<<

charlie1

Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:20 pm

I usually pitch about 80 deg. and so far have had no problems other than a short lag time.(I have only done Ales)
<<

devobrew

Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:32 pm

Don't worry be happy :lol: relax and have a homebrew friend ..The Beer she be fine man :wink:

peace,love,harmony
<<

Lou

Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:05 pm

ok, thanks fellows. I can relax now and wait patiently. I was just so excited about this one (as if I'm not for every one) and was methodically going through the process in my head and wanted to have everything covered, this was the one area I worried about. A weight off the shoulders this is, :) thanks, LOU :D
<<

PotPie

Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:48 pm

LOU wrote:A weight off the shoulders this is, :)

YODA?? Zatchoo? :lol:
<<

Vigs

Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:29 am

Below 90 is the limit. Don't go above 90 at all.
80 is perfect! It's good to be slightly warm when pitching.
<<

dsmcato

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:35 am

Vigs wrote:Below 90 is the limit. Don't go above 90 at all.
80 is perfect! It's good to be slightly warm when pitching.

Really bad advice, IMO. The 'limit' depends on the particular strain of yeast you are using. Some get quite fruity when they ferement warm. For example, Wyeast 2112 gets pretty fruity if you ferement about 65, if you pitch in the 80's w/ a healthy starter it will take a long time for the wort to reach 65 unless the ferementer is sitting in a pretty cold environment. Chances are you won't end up with a california common, it won't be wretched, but it will be out of style.

Return to Northern Brewer General