– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Keg Conversion

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Waylit

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:45 pm

Keg Conversion

This keg is being sold locally for $30. The seller said it's a Coors Keg.
It looks different than a normal keg. Do you think this would this work well for converting to a kettle?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/257 ... 191e_o.jpg
<<

MullerBrau

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:15 pm

Yup, looks OK to me. Get ready for the stolen keg / illegally purchased arguements.
<<

MrNate

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:10 am

Stolen property! Rabble rabble rabble!

:lol:
"Showing us possible nipp is like giving a monkey a gun. When the monkey shoots someone, and you know he will, do you blame the monkey, or the person that gave him the gun?" - Weazletoe
<<

dkrel

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:05 am

Your going to hell. How can you live with the eternal damination hanging over your head? Sinner! ;)

Kind of looks like the three I have in my garage. Except mine were from AB and Miller. Guess, I will be driving the bus to Keggle makers hell. ;)
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
Frank Sinatra
<<

Not the Momma!

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:12 am

Here's my question... What is the percentage of SS Kegs to Aluminum? I hear that they are starting to use more Aluminum now
ON TAP:
Kolsch
BVIP
Avery Maharaja Clone
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing

Coming up: Stout, Evil Twin, Scotch Ale.

Check out my http://bowtiebrewing.blogspot.com/
<<

BikerAggie

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:48 am

At least locally to me, aluminum is pretty rare. I thought I heard that aluminum was abandoned after a pilot project.
<<

MrNate

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:05 am

Aluminum kegs are one of those things that I've heard a lot about but never actually seen. Kind of like leprechauns.

I have a theory that people tend to think that kegs are aluminum because A. they're dull, not shiny like folks expect stainless to be; B. Magnets don't usually stick to the stainless used in kegs; and C. Aluminum is the material people "expect" - it's cheap, light, and beer comes in aluminum cans, dammit. A keg is just a big can of beer, right?

90% of the ads I see on CL around here claim the keg is AL. I would check it out regardless, because the ones I scoped out were actually SS.
"Showing us possible nipp is like giving a monkey a gun. When the monkey shoots someone, and you know he will, do you blame the monkey, or the person that gave him the gun?" - Weazletoe
<<

beernutz

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:35 pm

so if you go buy a keg and pay a 30.00 deposit....then decide to cut the top off.....you bought a keggle for 30.00 dollars? :twisted:
<<

bo_gator

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:04 pm

beernutz wrote:so if you go buy a keg and pay a 30.00 deposit....then decide to cut the top off.....you bought a keggle for 30.00 dollars? :twisted:
That is how I see it. If the deposit was paid it isn't stolen :roll:
Critical thinking is our other national deficit

Usually in error, but always sounding like I know what I am talking about :cheers:
<<

dnb

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:53 pm

Yeh.... thats how I see it too. If a deposit is collected, its the same as a bottle deposit. Its yours to do with as you please, throw it away, cut it up, use it for a table stand, give it away or sell it for the deposit. I don't see brewery cops busting people... just wannabee brewery cops. :lol: :lol:
<<

Hackett

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:46 pm

I have a keg that looks exactly like the one in the picture. In fact, it says COORS on it. I thought it might be aluminum but the guy that cut the top off for me said they are all stainless steel. Anyway, chop away and make your keggle! :D
Hackett
<<

Hop Stain

Master Brewer

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:26 am

IT IS STOLEN. THAT KEG IS NEVER YOURS. THATS WHY IT IS A DEPOSIT.

Ok all you fellow homebrewers that use illegal kegs for brewing. I do it to, but I cleared it up with my local microbrewery to get decommissioned kegs and now I am legal. One 15.5 gal sanke keg stainless steel brand new costs a brewery over $150 to purchase due to reduced manufacturers in the US and the metal prices, etc.

The keg is the property of the brewery no matter when. When it is at the liquor store, it is still the breweries. When you are drinking off of it, it is still the breweries. You do not BUY the keg, you only RENT the keg. You buy the beer. So you get off really lucky when the brewery isn't able to charge the $120 on your credit card when you already paid $30 when you decide not to bring it back to the liquor store you got it from.

Think about it people. I live right down the street from New Belgium Brewery where they have hundreds of kegs a month become decommissioned due to pressure flaws and external damage. They charge $15 for the old kegs. There you go. 15 gal boil kettle for $15.

The more kegs you steal, the more the deposits and cost of kegs will rise.
Keg: Baller's Brew Cream Ale, Irish Red Eye
Bottled: Cherry Bretta Braggot blended with Boone Geuze
2ndary: Belgian Dubbel
Primary: Chamomile Wheat
Next: Mo's Beer IPA, Oatmeal Stout, Black Currant Porter
<<

MullerBrau

Master Brewer

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:54 pm

Think about that for all you guys stealing beer bottles for the 10 cent deposit too.
<<

ChrisKennedy

Master Brewer

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:27 pm

Bottle deposits are typically mandated by the city/state in an effort to make recycling more desirable and to reduce littering, not to ensure bottles are returned to the brewery.

Kegs, on the other hand, cost a brewery over $100 a pop, and theft of them is a very serious threat to the sustainability of small breweries, and to the bottom line of the bigger guys.
<<

MisterV

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:16 pm

The whole stealing/not stealing with kegs is always going to be a topic that fires people up.

When I first went off searching to make a keggle I saw one on craigslist and posted to another hb forum about it, only to get ripped apart, I saw a previous set of comments from buying one at a scrap yard. So, I went this route, I went to the place where I buy my kegs and asked the owner what to do, he said "he'd look into it" a couple weeks later we went in to get a new keg for the professional system we have and he said "hey, I got something for you" and handed me a keg, the middle piece was gone and the top where the handles would be was dented down, but it only cost me 30 bux, cut the top off and called it a day. Even had a note from the distributor that said "happy brewing." The distributor had grinded off the logo around the top, so it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it was still cheaper than paying 200+ bucks for a 15 gallon brew pot.
Next

Return to Northern Brewer General