Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Growing hops FAQ

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

SmokeEater

Master Brewer

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:33 am

I've done some research, but looking for somebody with practical experience....

Do deer eat hops? My hops (3 centenial, 3 cascade, 3 golding, 3 willilamette) are planted on my in-laws property in southern iowa.... 99 acres of timber and CRP--prime white tail country. :shock: I've heard that once the plants get bigger deer shouldn't be a problem, but what about early? Anybody have any experience with deer problems?
What do you do to become enlightened? What are the signs you are succeeding? As you ponder these questions, I suggest beer.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on."
-Dean Martin
<<

talkingseagull

Master Brewer

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:52 am

As a "rule" they don't. i.e. there's other things they'll head for first.
BUT they will taste anything as you know if you live out in the country.

For me I only have six plants, so I put chicken wire around them and spray repellent on the leaves when they are young.
We are infested by rabbits here...and recently hawks,eagles, and snakes (wonder why....?)
I love the smell of Star San in the morning.

Drinkin' - Copper Hopper, Maris Otter IPA, 1111 IPA, Cab, Chardonnay, Amarone.
Carboy (and blowin' hard!) - Denny's Rye IPA
<<

falconry

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:48 am

SmokeEater wrote:I've done some research, but looking for somebody with practical experience....

Do deer eat hops? My hops (3 centenial, 3 cascade, 3 golding, 3 willilamette) are planted on my in-laws property in southern iowa.... 99 acres of timber and CRP--prime white tail country. :shock: I've heard that once the plants get bigger deer shouldn't be a problem, but what about early? Anybody have any experience with deer problems?

Try tying dryer sheets up around your plants to deter the deer. That method works pretty good around gardens in NC.
<<

Stardust

Master Brewer

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:23 am

SmokeEater wrote:I've done some research, but looking for somebody with practical experience....
Do deer eat hops? My hops (3 centenial, 3 cascade, 3 golding, 3 willilamette) are planted on my in-laws property in southern iowa.... 99 acres of timber and CRP--prime white tail country. :shock: Anybody have any experience with deer problems?

I only have the three vines of Mt. Hood growing in the backyard at the moment. The deer have ignored them. I haven't figured out which plant it is, but there is something in my back yard they love. Or it may be the privacy. The space they frequent is between my planted row of trees, the barn, and a small grove of thick, nature planted trees
If it's good for ancient Druids, runnin' nekkid through the wuids, Drinkin' strange fermented fluids, it's good enough for me! - Pete Seeger
<<

g_force

Master Brewer

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:09 pm

Received my rhizomes about a month ago, I've had them in the kegerator since then. I have a Centennial, Mt. Hood, Willamette, and my favorite, Cascade. Planted them this evening using this method (thanks Mashweasel!), although I used 10" pots. I figure if two will fit in a 12" then one should be fine in a 10".

I used Miracle Grow potting soil and watered them until it started to run out the bottom. A few minutes later there was about 3/4" of water in each drain pan. I'm guessing this will get sucked back up or evaporate quickly as it's pretty dry here in Denver.

We're getting a lot of snow today and should have more tomorrow. I'm guessing it will be Mother's Day before I can even think about putting these in the ground. Here's my plan for when that day arrives, let me know how this sounds:
    Dig a hole twice as big as the pot.
    Mix half dirt from the hole with half potting soil.
    Fill the hole half way up.
    Tip the pot and carefully lay the contents in the hole, shoots up.
    Fill in around with the rest of the mixed soil and water well.

Sound about right?
-- G_Force
Kegerator: Belgian Dubbel, Cascade IPAle
Primary: Farmhouse Biere De Table
Secondary: Belgian Strong Ale
Brewing Today: Petite Saison D'Ete
<<

fawko

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:13 pm

I am in Chicago and have about 50 hop sprouts that started last week. I will be trimming about 40 of them back :shock: They are 6 years old nugget, cascade, and perle. I have a chinook , 2 centenials, and northern brewer that are not showing life yet. The older ones are going bonkers though. I dont care how you plant your hops, they will overtake you if you do not watch them. They will start to sprout in your lawn. Next to your sidewalk, under your grill!!!!!! :shock: It is late now, I am buzzed on HB, I will get some photos up tommorrow when it's daylight.
<<

bevoduz

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:28 am

I think squirrels keep trying to get my rhizomes, anyone have any ways to keep them away?
<<

mashweasel

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:54 am

Lead at high velocity works best. :o)
Egészségedre,

Kristen England, Ph.D.
BJCP Continuing Education Director
Grand Master Judge
http://www.bjcp.org
http://www.bjcp.org/cep

Homer Simpson - 'Homer no function beer well without.'
<<

bevoduz

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:42 am

You really think throwing pencils at them will work?
<<

HalenRush

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:47 am

Are pots ok for the entire life of the hop? Or was that just your method until its warm enough to plant outside? How big are the root systems of a mature plant?
<<

g_force

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:52 am

HalenRush wrote:Are pots ok for the entire life of the hop? Or was that just your method until its warm enough to plant outside? How big are the root systems of a mature plant?

I'll bet you could get away with growing them in those big 'half barrel' pots. However, I think even a 12" pot would be too small by mid season. The roots will need more room to grow, and the nutrients in the soil will probably be depleted too soon.
Disclaimer: I'm by no means a green thumb, this is just guesswork on my part.
-- G_Force
Kegerator: Belgian Dubbel, Cascade IPAle
Primary: Farmhouse Biere De Table
Secondary: Belgian Strong Ale
Brewing Today: Petite Saison D'Ete
<<

mashweasel

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:31 pm

Hops develop quite a hardy root system and will have problems if not allowed to 'dig'. Ive tried in pots before with poor results. The plants grow moderately well, its the harvest that is very poor.
Egészségedre,

Kristen England, Ph.D.
BJCP Continuing Education Director
Grand Master Judge
http://www.bjcp.org
http://www.bjcp.org/cep

Homer Simpson - 'Homer no function beer well without.'
<<

talkingseagull

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:25 pm

mashweasel wrote:Hops develop quite a hardy root system and will have problems if not allowed to 'dig'. Ive tried in pots before with poor results. The plants grow moderately well, its the harvest that is very poor.

+1
I love the smell of Star San in the morning.

Drinkin' - Copper Hopper, Maris Otter IPA, 1111 IPA, Cab, Chardonnay, Amarone.
Carboy (and blowin' hard!) - Denny's Rye IPA
<<

Stardust

Master Brewer

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:14 am

SmokeEater wrote:Do deer eat hops?
I put a fence all the way around them to keep the deer out, but discovered that the deer do not like hops! location OR http://www.deerislandbrewery.com/hops.html
Mine grow in the upper portion of Central NJ and nothing, other than some aphids, bother them.
If anything took a bite, I think the bitterness would turn them off. PA
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread. ... 601&page=2
They will try hops but generally* will not browse them. *"generally" = "if it has been a long snowy winter all bets are off."
http://www.brewing-supplies.com/grow-ho ... h-deer.htm
The strong, oil smell of hops repels deer, something to think about. http://www.greenthumbdujour.com/Pestsdetail.htm
If it's good for ancient Druids, runnin' nekkid through the wuids, Drinkin' strange fermented fluids, it's good enough for me! - Pete Seeger
<<

djroberts

Master Brewer

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:47 am

Do the vines have thorns on them?
My Beers (favorites):
1. Zealot IPA (West Coast IPA)
2. Le Fuzz (Strong Belgian Golden IPA)
3. Red Summit (Irish Red IPA, I love this one)
4. New Zealot IPA (West Coast IPA with New Zealand Hops, still fine tuning)
PreviousNext

Return to Northern Brewer General