Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

How do I force carbonate a 13 gal. sankey?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Big Stick Brewing Co.

Master Brewer

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:29 pm

How do I force carbonate a 13 gal. sankey?

I have lots of experience with force carbonating 5 gal. cornys, but no experience force carbonating full size kegs or 13 gal. types. I don't think I want to try shaking the heck out of a sankey like I would a corny.
WHat are good ways of carbonating a full size keg of beer without having to lift and shake it? Can someone help me figure out how much pressure (at approx. 45 degrees F) and for how long..to achieve a good carbonation level to serve at? Is there a way to carbonate quickly between the fermenter and the keg?
On Tap: EPA, Blonde Ale
Secondary: Centennial IPA
Primary:
On deck to be brewed: An absolutely ridiculous amount of ale
<<

ChrisKennedy

Master Brewer

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:36 pm

You put the head pressure at whatever level you want the beer to be carbonated to, and then leave it there. The shaking merely expedites the process.

Edit: You can find a carbonation chart here.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/instructions/co2.htm
<<

Big Stick Brewing Co.

Master Brewer

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:51 pm

The chart says "Beer will absorb CO2 until it reaches equilibrium, normally after 3-4 days". What about the size of the head space in the keg? Will it carbonate slower if the keg is nearly full and the headspace is minimized?
On Tap: EPA, Blonde Ale
Secondary: Centennial IPA
Primary:
On deck to be brewed: An absolutely ridiculous amount of ale
<<

peejaybee

Master Brewer

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:03 pm

Big Stick Brewing Co. wrote:The chart says "Beer will absorb CO2 until it reaches equilibrium, normally after 3-4 days". What about the size of the head space in the keg? Will it carbonate slower if the keg is nearly full and the headspace is minimized?

I don't know, but I can guess. I wouldn't think headspace would matter, unless the keg were full past the point where the sides are no longer straight. Then less surface area is in contact with CO2, and the rate of transfer should be reduced.
<<

ChrisKennedy

Master Brewer

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:17 pm

Yeah, headspace doesn't really matter when there is tons, though as the above poster said, if there isn't enough head space, perhaps the absorption will be slower.

Return to Northern Brewer General